Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

hanna bayman? who she?

i'd be happy with a couple more inches. I just been outside i'd say there were about 5 inches fallen from this current snow session.

snow shower starting up again!

Hannah Bayman is the Look North weather presenter. The forecast should be available on BBC Weather later on tonight.

Posted

ah ok. btw, i cant see that stuff to our north sinking south, it still looks on a se track to me. however, the stuff further out to sea looks like it may hit

Posted

Looking at the radar the very heavy snow across Northumberland is about to sink south over us, I can see a few inches falling from this.

Hannah Bayman just said -20°C in the NE on Friday night! rofl.gif

EDIT: Rain today not quite as good, METO radar looks better but I suspect R.T. will be closest as you can zoom in on it. I can still see a couple of inches falling though judging on the intensity of that last shower.

Did you say you were at school today?

I think Hannah meant to say Cumbria but even here i somehow doubt -20. Not very good forecasting imo as that may panic people.

Starting to snow here again, don't think it will be as good as the last shower but the snowflakes are still a good enough size.

Edited by Geordiesnow

Posted

started snowing again in byker - starting to get heavier,largish flakes

Posted

ah ok. btw, i cant see that stuff to our north sinking south, it still looks on a se track to me. however, the stuff further out to sea looks like it may hit

The stuff out at sea is linked with it as its a streamer. It seems to be intensifying as it hits land.

Posted

The stuff out at sea is linked with it as its a streamer. It seems to be intensifying as it hits land.

i agree,it was always on the cards to happen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Apparently in Cleadon they have 15cm!

Snowing again here...may have to go icicle snapping,there's a huge one from the gutter directly above the door...if it fell on someone it'd do them major harm.The farmers are out with snowploughs again but there's no grit being dispersed,if we get any significant falls roads will be impassable

Posted

Snowing again here...may have to go icicle snapping,there's a huge one from the gutter directly above the door...if it fell on someone it'd do them major harm.The farmers are out with snowploughs again but there's no grit being dispersed,if we get any significant falls roads will be impassable

i'm loving this no cars on the roads.just open the door and let the dogs out with no worries lol.

Posted

chucking it down in byker, I watched last nights snow happen after midnight, quite similar to whats happening now, snow is forecast everyday 4 ne england until at least saturday!

It was fairly coming down when I left work (Byker) at about 4:45pm but the drive home was a lot easier than last night as I think a lot of people just hadn't gone into work today.

Posted

Apparently in Cleadon they have 15cm!

Whoever told you that has to be careful not to measure the snow where it drifted, i did that earlier on and there was 12CM however i measured where it never appeared to drifted and i got 9CM.

All this was also before that big snow shower that hit us around 6:30 so i assume the amounts will be even bigger now.

Shower at the moment is easing off and the clouds are breaking again.

Posted

Whoever told you that has to be careful not to measure the snow where it drifted, i did that earlier on and there was 12CM however i measured where it never appeared to drifted and i got 9CM.

All this was also before that big snow shower that hit us around 6:30 so i assume the amounts will be even bigger now.

Shower at the moment is easing off and the clouds are breaking again.

Yes but there have been very localised falls around Tyneside - depths vary from 4 inches to 8 inches with 5-6 quite widespread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

OMG WHEN IS IT GOING TO SNOW MY HEAD IS GETTING DUN IN ATM lol :drinks:

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

The animated radar shows the band moving south quite steadily so i guesstimate the arrival of the 'streamer' to hit Tyne & Wear around 8:30-9:00. Just hope the convergence aid these showers to intensify around 5-10 mile offshore, they are already starting to grow in size just need to start growing upward too....cold wind off the land hitting relatively warm sea and -10 uppers coming from the NE sounds like a recipe for some pretty good shower activity, shame there's not as much available energy as there was yesterday.

Posted

This is where you can find the Look North weather forecast for those who didn't know:

http://news.bbc.co.u...?area=Newcastle

Just after 1:25 she gives the 3 outlook and says it will plummet to -20°C.

Posted

i dont rate her,she depends on the autocue to much for my liking.

Yes, I think she's referring to what the Met Office have been predicting for the Scottish Highlands! I still think it's an amazing thing to hear even if there's no chance of it happening.

Posted

i'm loving this no cars on the roads.just open the door and let the dogs out with no worries lol.

Looks like we are right in the firing line tonight.

Snowing heavy again now,looks like the land of narnia out there.:drinks:

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted

I got a quite a good view to my North and this will help me to know whether there is a shower cloud coming or not. Latest would be at quite a distance, there does appear to be some brighter orange cloud which tells me there is PPN under it, might take a little while to get hear mind you.

As for the band of snow(it could actually be a trough rather than a streamer), i'm still not to convinced it would reach us before fizzling out but i hope NL's post happens tonight with that trough. Whether it does or not, we will have to wait and see.

Posted

am i the only one see the radar this way - it looks like its getting smaller and fizzling out. i dont see this intensifing people are talking about. it also looks like its largly stalled in the north

Posted

I'm a bit too far South and East to tap into that meaty looking streamer (again!!!!!) BUT we had a ridiculously heavy snow shower about an hour ago, lasted about 10 minutes and dropped 1.5cm.