IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion XXXIII

Posted

East of England:

Essex

Hertfordshire

Suffolk

Heavy Snow 1100 Wed 6 1700 Wed 6

Further outbreaks of snow will turn heavy at times today giving fresh accumulations of 5-10 cm in places and perhaps locally up to 15 cm. This will cause widespread disruption to transport.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advise on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1036 Wed 6 Jan

Sorry, but I don't see this happening at all. Fair play to the METO covering their backs though.

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

hi im in Twickinham just down the road from you, it dose not look like we will the heavy stuff. not good. but i know what you are saying just 10miles away 30cm

Surbiton has had mostly small flakes falling steadily for around one hour now, but it's not really settling. Off for a walk out in it for 10 year old son who is besides himself with excitement and has torn up the garden with snowball fights and a mini snowman - be nice if the small flakes (getting larger as I type) could cover up a bit of the destruction, but I'm not optimistic.

Posted

Im in Lancing near worthing right on the coast, talking about marginality we had rain all night, but since this morning the wind hasd come from the east and not south west so its all falling as snow now,

constant heavy snow for last few hours and despite puddles everywhere it is settling, here some quick pics

post-10842-12627769737452_thumb.jpg

post-10842-12627770047552_thumb.jpg

really big flakes now starting to fall

Posted

It's quite incredible really. The synoptics are the best they have been for many years. Yet here we are again (IMBY & plenty of others in EA/SE), getting screwed over. Sometimes I really hate this country for weather. Take last night for instance. Here in Southend we had about 25 mins of snow giving 0.8cm of cover. At the same time 3 miles to my East in Shoeburyness they had Sleet. Again at the same time 5 miles to my west in Leigh, they also had sleet. I mean, that is a joke. Just goes to show how localised snow can be in this country and should be a warning and learning curve for us all.

I hope this "Big Freeze" picks up soon. As quite frankly it's been a slightly below average period so far, nothing more. Had a decent dump of snow before xmas though, so shouldn't moan really. I just cant for the life of me understand what we need in this country for non-marginal events.

Rant end.

Most of the country IS experiencing a "Big Freeze" just because you're not doesn't mean it's not happening

As quite frankly it's been a slightly below average period so far, nothing more.

:drinks:

Posted

As for Sat/Sunday set-up, looks to me like a classic light snizzle type set-up to me looking at what the models prog, light snowfall which will look pretty but on a practical level will not amount to much at all...

TWS, its even more local then that because the ESE is taking in air from the Thames Mouth, which obviously has its own little region of modified air.

As soon as the wind swings ENE/NE melting will stop pretty quickly here I think as the winds will be back offshore again, so we should keep some of the snow, probably about 1cm.

Still can't see where this pepping up is going to come from for today, the band of snow will slip south but it doesn't look great to be honest.

Can't wait to get out of this rubbish and get to some real snow!

East of England:

Southend-on-Sea

Thurrock

Heavy Snow 1100 Wed 6 1800 Wed 6

Further outbreaks of snow will turn heavy through today giving fresh accumulations of 4 to 8 cm in places. This will cause widespread disruption to transport.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advise on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1040 Wed 6 Jan

Yeah right! :drinks:

My version below...

East of England:

Southend-on-Sea

Thurrock

Light Sleet 1100 Wed 6 1800 Wed 6

Further outbreaks of sleet will turn heavy through today giving no accumulations and make the ground wet. This will cause widespread wrist slashing and shortages in Prozac supplies.

The South Essex public are advised to take extra doses of Prozac and refer to the Samaritans for further advice.

Issued at: 1134 Wed 6 Jan

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Ice and cold sunny days with blue skies.

Still nothing to speak of here......................................Am I surrounded and dont' know it?

Saffron Walden

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Glad to see the Met Office has upgraded the weather warning to be more realistic.. They do seem to be reactive though.

Thurrock and Southend expecting 4-8 cms? huh.gif

Posted

Most of the country IS experiencing a "Big Freeze" just because you're not doesn't mean it's not happening

:drinks:

Come on - have some sympathy. There still hasn't been a set piece snow event for the populous parts of the SE yet and without that I don't think we can call this an epic cold spell. Not saying it won't happen but 2-4cm in the London suburbs does not a snow event make!

Posted

4-8cms....no chance, you can quite easily half that as a more realistic total, the NAE suggests about 5cms but I just can't see it...

Oh and to top it all off....

SLEET!!!!!!!

The moderate stuff is going to finally head south soon, you guys in C.Essex and Herts have had a HUGE amount of luck with the band setting up!

Posted

East of England:

Southend-on-Sea

Thurrock

Heavy Snow 1100 Wed 6 1800 Wed 6

Further outbreaks of snow will turn heavy through today giving fresh accumulations of 4 to 8 cm in places. This will cause widespread disruption to transport.

Issued at: 1040 Wed 6 Jan

Yeah right! :drinks:

Like you and others, struggling to see where all this can come from but they must be on to something surely? It is pepping up here, I must say, all be it moderate still at best.

Posted

Ipswich does really seem to be the 'snow void zone', in suffolk...

Have had people panicking calling up work (i work in theatre and have a show on tonight), from literally everywhere surrounding, felixstowe, colchester, clacton, apart from Ipswich.....

A few flakes (quite literally!) have fallen, but that has been the lot....was really hoping for a covering for some nice photo opportunites tomorrow on my day off :drinks:

Posted

stopped here now, and looking at the NW radar, looks like thats pretty much it, unless the band to the North suddenly starts to move South!

Guest archiesmummy

thurrock and southend....is something going to change? i am ig7 postcode and on the radar we are in a heavy block and have been for 3 and a half hours now (still snowing.BIG flakes) i am no expert but how are thurrock and southend going to do well? dont get me wrong i hope we all do but just wondered if somthing moving in yet that i am unable to pick up on.

Posted

Like you and others, struggling to see where all this can come from but they must be on to something surely? It is pepping up here, I must say, all be it moderate still at best.

The NAE model they use are expecting the band to pep up as it slides southwards, and I think it will be whether or not it does it in time for S.Essex I have my doubts.

Despite that 4-8cms is rather optimistic, indeed I think even 2-4cms is optimistic...

Mind you would just be nice to get snow...not...bleeding...SLEETTTT! :p

Posted

Hi

Here in Totteridge, North London there has now been approx. 8cm of snow and it is still snowing steadily. The temperature has been hovering around 0.3C.

The news special on the BBC about the snow is interesting and they have now spoken to an executive from the Met Office who said the cold spell would last at least another week!

Derry

Posted

really? here we have 4-5 inches and still coming down although dewpoints are now above freezing.

Yes really, I was watching your posts last night saying you were getting the heavy stuff and I almost burst in to tears. You're about 8 miles north of me so it made all the difference. . . I missed the good stuff by about 5 miles to my North and 20 miles to my West. . .

Hoping for some sort of re-intensification when the band gets shunted back South shortly, but like Kold I cant see anything much happening at all in this screw zone

and plus that damn blow torch up my ass just will not quit!! :p

Posted

Around 14cm's in the garden.........:p

A bit of a melt on cars (Which is usuall) But we do slighlty suffer from urban heat effect so.....

light snow now as it moves away but we have done very well here.... Hopefully the temp won't rise to much.......

Edited by saint

Posted

The NAE model they use are expecting the band to pep up as it slides southwards, and I think it will be whether or not it does it in time for S.Essex I have my doubts.

Despite that 4-8cms is rather optimistic, indeed I think even 2-4cms is optimistic...

Mind you would just be nice to get snow...not...bleeding...SLEETTTT! :p

Kold. Here is the revised METO warning for our region (Courtesy of moi!)

East of England:

Southend-on-Sea

Thurrock

Light Sleet 1100 Wed 6 1800 Wed 6

Further outbreaks of sleet will turn heavy through today giving no accumulations and make the ground wet. This will cause widespread wrist slashing and shortages in Prozac supplies in this screw zone.

The South Essex public are advised to take extra doses of Prozac and refer to the Samaritans for further advice.

Issued at: 1134 Wed 6 Jan

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

I can't believe South Woodham managed to miss the Essex streamer this morning. It went by just to our north. My bet is that was our chance and, contrary to the GFS, the next lot will go into Kent.

Posted
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)

Mind you would just be nice to get snow...not...bleeding...SLEETTTT! :D

Kold Weather, a lot of respect to you mate, you called this just right over the last couple of days and provided unbiased forecasting for the South East/East Anglia.

Appreciate the regular updates. :p

15-20cm fell here last night in Bushey, Hertfordshire. Hasn't stopped snowing and seems to be getting heavier. Whats the forecast for this region (near Watford) for the rest of today?

You have done well - we have about 10 cms at WD25 - probably this precipitation is is quite height sensitive - I note that the higher points of Bushey are a little over 150 metres, whereas we are at 81 metres.

Still moderate snow here at the moment and the radar shows a little more to come.

Posted

Light snow recently started. The good old North Sea is doing it's stuff, lots seem to be bubbling up out there, coming this way and thankfully air temp and dew point now going in the right direction again...... bring it on :p Should see a topping to the 7 cm we had here earlier this morning :D Air temp +0.3 DP -0.7

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

http://www.buienradar.nl/

http://www.meteox.co.uk/gmapstatic.aspx?zoom=6&type=zoom&x=215&y=242

Danny