Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion XXXIII

Posted

Looks like the N.Essex streamer is getting eroded from the South to me.

Thunderstorms in the N.Sea, about 50 miles off the coast of Lowestoft.

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

Well there's 6 centimetres here at the moment, seems to be slowing off a bit now. Would love to post some pics, but last time I tried they came out HUGE:oops:

If anyone has any tips on how to get them small enough to post I'd be grateful.

One thing you could do and probably the easiest is just to set your camera to a smaller photo size, then they won't come out big!

Or you could upload them to facebook or something which downsizes them automatically and then just link them in from there.

Amazing just the amount of snow falling over the UK at the moment. Shame it's so dry here but at least it's very white.

Posted

5cm of white slush on the pavements and roads, but it has been snowing for 4+ hours and I think there is a lot more to come yet. Ground temps are currently a little too high but I think the sheer weight of continued snow will bring temps down and give a better covering.

Ruddy cold out on the ladder, taking the Christmas decorations down this morning cold.gif

been there, done that ;)

that slush of yours looks like its going to freeze over tonight Coast :D

Yup...Snowy snorbens does it again!

We've had 2-3 inches since 7am and it's still coming down very hard. Best snow in years and years!

hello T! glad you could join us ;)

Posted

nick, did you wear this emoticon out last night then wallbash.gif

;)

To be honest i was close to losing it big time! if i was a Mod banning orders would have been in place for the persistent moaning offenders! :D the problem is that no matter how many times you try and put some detail on the outlook, many people just ignore this and just want to keep throwing their toys out of the pram!

Posted

The coldest upper air is due to arrive early hours of Friday and last into Sunday, there is around a good 48hr window where we should see the strongest convection taking place over the North Sea. I would expect the UKMO to upgrade their warnings for this time period, also a chance of some more persistent snow tied in with an occlusion thrown nw ahead of the main Euro low.

Doubt there wil lbe much snow left here by that time though, on a local level forecast actually isn't that good, the wind direction never favours me, a NE will not cut it, simple as that for SW Essex...the snow on Saturday/Sunday looks more interesting but probably be left with only slight cover, probably wil lend up with the least snowfall of the entire region once Sunday is done I suspect...Friday could see some snow as the trough comes through saying that...so probably 5-6cms in this part of Essex for the whole of the spell, pitiful compared to most of the region.

Looks very good for Norfolk/suffolk/E.Essex and E.Kent tomorrow and Friday though, the weekend is a bit of a pot shot really, could get lucky yet...

Edited by kold weather

Posted

Burgess hill

Can't make it smaller sorry

post-6036-12627739921452_thumb.jpg

Edited by jojobut

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Yeah your quite right, I'm not going to be about for that next round of fun and games but could well be some interesting weather about thats for sure, a band of light-moderate snowfall looks like streaming in from Europe over the weekend, so well worth watching. Wind direction looks good for EA, esp parts that have missed out totally in the last 24hrs.

Are you only expecting light-moderate falls over the weekend? The E/NE flow looks quite potent on the models. Could be some heavy showers piling in surely?

Posted

well the indications are for more to come, and the radar is perhaps the best bet right now. am seeing lots of posts saying there is snow about, but the SE Corner of London seems to be a bit of light stuff. i think its really a case of watching the very latest forecasts on the news channels and checking the radar :D

http://www.meteox.co.uk/gmapstatic.aspx?zoom=6&type=zoom&x=215&y=242

thanks maf for your reply radar watching it is then lol good job the kids schools were closed today

Posted

To be honest i was close to losing it big time! if i was a Mod banning orders would have been in place for the persistent moaning offenders! smiliz46.gif the problem is that no matter how many times you try and put some detail on the outlook, many people just ignore this and just want to keep throwing their toys out of the pram!

yep, agree there Nick. Ho hum, get a brandy and chillax in the knowledge that at least some people respect your posts. ;)

Right! my dog is looking at me with his big puppy eyes as if to say "when can i go out in the snow?" suppose i should get him out to have a run about :D

Posted
  • Location: Ormesby St Margaret - Nr Gt Yarmouth / Work in Norwich
  • Location: Ormesby St Margaret - Nr Gt Yarmouth / Work in Norwich

Yes that's a bit of a surprise- it's the same at UEA, settling easily on the grass but struggling on concrete surfaces. Usually that is a sign that either air or ground temperatures are marginal. Temperatures in the Norwich area are currently around 0 to 0.5C suggesting that it may be ground temps that are the main problem. But if snow gets heavy enough it will overcome high ground temperatures.

Tomorrow looks like having a sizeable dumping over parts of Norfolk with snow showers coinciding with a trough and front over East Anglia.

Thanks for the info. My boss has asked me to keep an eye on things with regards to snow as we have about 100 people in our call centre to manage.

The snow is really coming down quite heavily now - back to the radar for me!

Posted

been there, done that ;)

that slush of yours looks like its going to freeze over tonight Coast ;)

Not a problem to me as I shan't attempt a run into work tomorrow unless it's 100% clear and reasonably dry. Unfortunately Miss Shoreline has gone into work locally and I just hope they send her home early as I reckon it could get bad on the roads around here later :D

Posted

thanks maf for your reply radar watching it is then lol good job the kids schools were closed today

well my two daughters are at school in B'Heath and the bexley web site shows that St Catherines will be open all day today. so they will come home tonight and moan they weren't allowed home early :D

Posted

To be honest i was close to losing it big time! if i was a Mod banning orders would have been in place for the persistent moaning offenders! :D the problem is that no matter how many times you try and put some detail on the outlook, many people just ignore this and just want to keep throwing their toys out of the pram!

I for one didn't ignore you. You said it would come and it has ;) In fact, I make a point of looking out for your posts in particular, so thank you!

Posted

Not a problem to me as I shan't attempt a run into work tomorrow unless it's 100% clear and reasonably dry. Unfortunately Miss Shoreline has gone into work locally and I just hope they send her home early as I reckon it could get bad on the roads around here later unsure.gif

yeah, got work tonight and not sure about how easy it will be to get home in the morning (have i mentioned before, I hate Southeastern Trains!! :yahoo: )

Posted

Are you only expecting light-moderate falls over the weekend? The E/NE flow looks quite potent on the models. Could be some heavy showers piling in surely?

Depends on the angle of the wind but if its a NE like forecasted then the snow showers will decay by the time they reach down here, or be on the way out, plus they will only reach here in the daytime I suspect where temps will not allow them to settle...

The best shot therefore for places tucked in from the NE airflow wil lbe the trough Thursday night-Friday morning, we should see something then but how much once again is uncertain, the GFS isn't at all keen but then agian the models are a joke when it comes to these features.

Posted

Yup...Snowy snorbens does it again!

We've had 2-3 inches since 7am and it's still coming down very hard. Best snow in years and years!

Looks like St albans will have snow for a little while yet too - I am in on the fun now too - up to about 11cm now and expecting more in the next hour.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Been a good morning here with the snow constantly falling. At the stage now where it's hard to determine the boundaries of road and pavement on the ungritted road where I live. A very winter wonderland scene. While most of the time the direction of the snow has been straight down more or less, I've noticed that over the last few minutes there's been more of an occasional wind push, giving the direction of the snow more of a east to west slant

Posted

Between 2 and 3 inches here. Sky is brighter. Snowing lightly now. Wind is from ENE. Temp just below freezing.

post-2496-12627743722352_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

seems to be snowing heavily everywhere in herts apart from here! (nr. royston)

Me too.

I'm not going to start whining though, we still have snow cover from NYE as it's stayed below 0.8 ° C ever since, so if/when we get some more it'll be a bonus. Quite amazing to have had snow cover since the 17th December (apart from a few days after Christmas) — but I must admit to being a tad jealous of my old friends and neighbours in Fernhurst West Sussex.

Where's the next lot for those who've missed out coming from Kold, I'm in West Suffolk?