Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion XXXIII

Posted

As I expected, once the snow got heavy in Norwich it started settling on all surfaces very easily. Relatively high ground temps cannot prevent snow from settling if it's heavy enough.

I didn't expect it to get really heavy this early on though! There are real Christmas card scenes around UEA at the moment with large fluttering snowflakes.

Started to settle straight away here, 2 junctions down the A47. Hail bouncing off the windows now

Posted

Hi Kold,

Strange as we are seeing not much snow melt near Thames in East London....snowing lightly all morning and

temps at 0 with dewpoint still at -1 and we are South of you ...suspect snowmelt later

but was surprised we got what we got overnight to be honest.

Doubt be much snow cover left by Friday though.

Its probably because your a little further inland then where I am on this sort of flow, a ESE wind usually makes it very marginal here and raises temps...this is quite honestly a little depressing, the only good thing is I've got a chance to see some proper snowfall depths tomorrow, its the only thing keeping me going lol!

Posted

lol I give up now . . . snow to the north, south, east and west of me . . . . Am I going to see any?!!

Janet

Sorry Janet, will try and blow some eastwards! If its any concilation Im on the furthest edge of Peterborough from you (right near the A1 and A605)

Fingers crossed for you good.gif

Guest archiesmummy

Light snow has ceased here. Expecting a rapid melt. Pish.

Hi there, can i ask as a novice but very keen, why a rapid melt? has been snowing here for 3 hours now, footprints are disappearing and getting a really good cover, let me know your thoughts acute.gif

Posted

Strange as i've looked out the window and not a flake in the wind. Still it doesn't surprise me considering the size of Peterborough. My mother said it was snowing heavy in Wansford.

Possibly Im at the other end to you?? PE2 here, right next to A1 and A605.... I know it said on Hereward that it was snowing Paston & New England this morning yet nothing on my side of the city. Coming down thin and fast lol

Mrs F x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Given that cold continental air will be digging in tomorrow and Friday I don't see where this rapid melt comes from. Remember, when the air is sourced over the continent it is often the southeast that sees the coldest weather for longest.

Posted

It's quite incredible really. The synoptics are the best they have been for many years. Yet here we are again (IMBY & plenty of others in EA/SE), getting screwed over. Sometimes I really hate this country for weather. Take last night for instance. Here in Southend we had about 25 mins of snow giving 0.8cm of cover. At the same time 3 miles to my East in Shoeburyness they had Sleet. Again at the same time 5 miles to my west in Leigh, they also had sleet. I mean, that is a joke. Just goes to show how localised snow can be in this country and should be a warning and learning curve for us all.

I hope this "Big Freeze" picks up soon. As quite frankly it's been a slightly below average period so far, nothing more. Had a decent dump of snow before xmas though, so shouldn't moan really. I just cant for the life of me understand what we need in this country for non-marginal events.

Rant end.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

The coldest upper air is due to arrive early hours of Friday and last into Sunday, there is around a good 48hr window where we should see the strongest convection taking place over the North Sea. I would expect the UKMO to upgrade their warnings for this time period, also a chance of some more persistent snow tied in with an occlusion thrown nw ahead of the main Euro low.

Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Definite north south slant to the snow now....does this mean it's on the move?

Here's a hard luck story. We got the biggest snowfall in my daughter's lifetime back in Feb which she missed as she was in Ireland. Her flight was cancelled and she was over there two more days than intended. There was still snow whn she got back but not as much as there had been.

Today we must be approaching what we had back in Feb. Unlike her brother's primary school which declared itself open (but which we've just heard is closing early), her school was closed from the off. So she was having breakfast looking forward to a day in the snow with her friends.

Then without warning she puked over the kitchen floor. Now she's in bed with a stomach ache and while the view out of her window is great...it's not really where she wants to be! :D

Posted

Given that cold continental air will be digging in tomorrow and Friday I don't see where this rapid melt comes from. Remember, when the air is sourced over the continent it is often the southeast that sees the coldest weather for longest.

If you have <1cm on the ground at the moment, like me (coupled with nuisance light snow/sleet showers) it will and is melting. :D

Those with decent coverage will be fine of course. :D

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

Hi there, can i ask as a novice but very keen, why a rapid melt? has been snowing here for 3 hours now, footprints are disappearing and getting a really good cover, let me know your thoughts acute.gif

archie. Because Leigh has about 1 cm of snow. Rapid melt there. :D

Further inland temps/dew's probably still ok.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Anyone else think that there won't be much melt in this sort of area? Because there won't be much time for temps to rise.

Precisely. If you've had lots of snow, you'll not lose much, if any. If the sky clears the temperature will drop too.

Posted

Because its happening right NOW thats the problem, temps around the S.Essex are geting an onshore flow which means temps are a good 1C above freezing at the moment and its going to hurt the snow cover thats for sure, the cloud cover will help but I have a big feeling any more snow is just going to increase the melting rate now temps are what they are like...

FWIW there will still be some ground left but compare it to anywhere else and it'll probably one of the worst amount, sandwiched inbetween much higher totals, local screw spot as I said.

Posted

Possibly Im at the other end to you?? PE2 here, right next to A1 and A605.... I know it said on Hereward that it was snowing Paston & New England this morning yet nothing on my side of the city. Coming down thin and fast lol

Mrs F x

Yes it does seem very localised due to the size of the showers.

Still some better news for tomorrow as the BBC indicated the snow hitting Norfolk & Peterborough before reaching London.

As for the rest of the week I shall take notice of my own advice. You never know what will develop in the N Sea and the models will never accurately predict this. Normally Peterborough does very well from a NE,ly. I suspect the models may increase the precip nearer the time.

Posted

Slowing down here now, METO are saying more showers this afternoon but looking at the radar cannot see where they will be coming from for herts?

probably coming from the NE and going in a SW direction

Guest archiesmummy

archie. Because Leigh has about 1 cm of snow. Rapid melt there. whistling.gif

Further inland temps/dew's probably still ok.

oh i see, yes costal areas got less and the nature of being on the coast, that makes sense...am much further inland so hopefully ours will stay...so exciting!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Hmm waiting for the heavy stuff here in SW London.. been snowing lightly for a while now.. only have a few cms so far yet 10 miles away people have 30cm wallbash.gifwallbash.gif

What time do you think the heavy stuff will reach SW London?

Posted

In the past 10 minutes on the radar. Looks interesting just off Norfolk coast.

Posted

Hmm waiting for the heavy stuff here in SW London.. been snowing lightly for a while now.. only have a few cms so far yet 10 miles away people have 30cm wallbash.gifwallbash.gif

What time do you think the heavy stuff will reach SW London?

never. the urban heat island effect has kicked in big time in london and all the snow is melting now.