Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion XXXIII

Posted

Check out the Euro radar on the NW Extra page. Out in the North Sea there is an area of pretty heavy precip slipping south, which I think is what is expected to propogate SW as the front slides down from the north. Radar coverage isn't great in the area but this should start to rear its ugly head in the next couple of hours on the UK radar (I think...)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Moderate snow now falling after a dry and cloudy morning. Turning white rather quickly!

Pleased for all those that have recieved a good fall of the white stuff.

Season

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

As big freezes go, I agree with others that it's a bit tame. Daytime temps seem to always get above freezing these days. I remember past winters in the 70's and 80's when these Easterly set ups kept daytime temps at -3 or -4C and night time temps were -6 downwards. Then, when the snow hit every one had powder snow for days, with no snow melt. Anyone else remember??

Posted

Snow has stopped here now, it's perfect for snowballs. We've got roughly 4 inches give or take a bit. Temp is 1.3c which probably explains the stickiness of the snow.

Enjoy it if you got it, otherwise our frozen fingers are crossed for the rest of you :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

It has been snowing here in Croydon for a couple of hours but has made no additional depth whatsoever, 9am footprints look just the same and the big bit of tarmac where the car was - well, still tarmac. Temps 0.5, dewpoint just below freezing.

This exceptionally cold air we are supposed to have had since new year seems to disappear everytime there is a hint of precipitation. Once the cloud comes over temps and dewpoints rise - I think I can see how this would be the case due to humidity rising, but does it ever stay cold (minus temps)with very low dewpoint (-4ish)and snow? :unsure:

Posted

Come on - have some sympathy. There still hasn't been a set piece snow event for the populous parts of the SE yet and without that I don't think we can call this an epic cold spell. Not saying it won't happen but 2-4cm in the London suburbs does not a snow event make!

It's like standing at the door of the most amazing party amd booze up which you really want to go to and being denied entry but maybe being given a free glass of bucks fizz outside in the cold.

Posted

p1060504.jpg

Jeeeeeeeeeeeez, really? That's a right lot of snow... Hopefully it ends like that here at some point!

Posted

Temp is now 1.1c . . . had a very very very light snow shower lasting about a minute a few minutes ago. That looks like the last one to hit here in the next few hours at least.

Am pleased everyone is enjoying the white stuff

Janet

Posted

Haven't seen anyone mention www.weatherbonk.com

Not sure if I trust their forecasts but handy for whizzing around the map looking at web cams

Posted

Still fairly heavy snow here (though not quite as intense as earlier) - about 15cm of snow here now - about half of which has fell in the last hour or so

Posted

Haven't seen anyone mention www.weatherbonk.com

Not sure if I trust their forecasts but handy for whizzing around the map looking at web cams

lol my work filter blocks that site for 'adult content' laugh.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Sun

OMG what a picture !!! T

Tommy, what do you think for the rest of the day for us in Ware ? Sky seems to have brightened up

Posted

Still waiting for this front to slide southwards, NAE output takes it south right at the peak of daytime heating, surprise surprise!

Saying all that it should tilt the wind flow to something far more favourable for snow and wouldn't be surprised to see temps drop once the wind shift occurs.

Also signs of precip strengthening on the eastern side of the front, needs to become far better though if its going to do anything of note.

Posted

The NAE model they use are expecting the band to pep up as it slides southwards, and I think it will be whether or not it does it in time for S.Essex I have my doubts.

Despite that 4-8cms is rather optimistic, indeed I think even 2-4cms is optimistic...

Mind you would just be nice to get snow...not...bleeding...SLEETTTT! :unsure:

Agreed about those depths - the nose just says 'no'. Moderate snow here, wettish variety, blowing about a bit in a strengthening wind that looks very much south of east at the moment. Sleet would depress me too - feel for you Kold, you sound mighty fed up; the only kind of 'fed up' that snow disappointment can bring!

Edited by pureasthedriven

Posted

JUst checked outside, 4inches on flat surfaces and 5 inches on grass. :unsure: With further snow likely this week it truly is amazing drinks.gif

Seems as the guys up in the north of London are posting the best numbers within the capital. We are on the edge of the band in Ealing. It's quite cold and if I squint I might be able to say we've added 0.5cm over the morning. If the UKMO are correct and that band shifts south a tad then I guess we may clear two inches by nightfall, but it needs to sink south about 10 miles.

Good thing is the temps in leafy Ealing - no snow melt to speak of here at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

I think a reality check is needed as the vast majority of people in the South East have seen but a minor fall of snow and temperatures around freezing. Bog standard winter weather.

Kent for example is around 4200 square miles in size and very few areas have in excess of 5cms of lying snow. This was beaten in most winters during the 90's.

Media frenzy of "Epic Freeze" and alike is nothing other than sensationalism and fantasy. Television news "hysteria" is laughable in the main and causes more harm than good as it frightens the old and vulnerable into thinking things are worse than they really are. Plant a young female reporter next to a motorway with a couple of inches of snow on it and tell her to fill us with stories of stranded motorists and accidents doesnt cut it. Put her in the middle of Helmand Province in broad daylight "with the pink bobble hat" and then see what reality really is like.

Posted

p1060504.jpg

Sorry about size. A view from my front room

Great photo - thanks for posting. It's amazing the road was still being used! The sheer amount of traffic these days + the 4*4s make roads passable even with a foot of snow on the ground. 20-30 years ago I think you'd be cut off.

Here's the Essex-Herts streamer than missed South Woodham and the very south of Essex... 1cm here :unsure:

essexhertsstreamer.png

Posted

Sorry about size. A view from my front room

Oh my goodness! That in Surrey?! :unsure:

yukichon - Chance of a little more light snow as that band comes down from the north in a couple of hours. It might liven up but as it is it'll just keep be light, small flakes.

Edited by Tommyd1258

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

I can't believe we are right in the middle of all of it , not a single flake in east kent :unsure: