Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion XXXIII

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

We had nothing overnight and I dont think Wisbech did either . . they are claiming heating problems.

NEWS JUST IN - Fakenham school in Norfolk is closing as there is a severe weather warning out for Norfolk . . its not that far from me and I have def not seen enough snow for any school to close.

Janet

In 1963 I went to school in 2 feet of snow - they never closed at all!

Posted

Has been snowing here since yesterday evening, was light for most of the night but is really coming down at the moment. Temp -0.7c and at a guess we've got about 12 - 15 cm. No work today!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

Very light Snow now in Shorne, Kent. Temp 0.6c DP -0.5c. Depth - 2cm

Posted

I have my doubts, for sure places further north that are in the snow are going to gfet nailed by a good 4-6 inches but in the screw zone we are gonna be lucky to get more then 1-2cms IMO, esp as the kicker trough that shunts it all south looks pitiful at the moment and once the band to the north tries to come south it will thin and weaken quite readily, as is somewhat happening already.

i have to admit that the radar movement does seem to contradict the forecast. that band of PPN north of London seems to have stalled and is heading more NNE-SSW than north to south. reckon the easterly needs to beef up a bit else your fears will be right and you and my rea will not see more than a dusting from this front :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

try a Ctrl+F5 to delete cookies, and log out then log back in again :(

I find mine is 15mins behind too has been since I subscribed on Sunday - I thought that was how it was, 5 minute refresh always 15 mins behind :D

Posted

In 1963 I went to school in 2 feet of snow - they never closed at all!

Mark, we all know things are different now, not saying I agree with it, but there we go. To be honest my kids have just come home and of course I think of their safety, but it all just seems a bit pointless that they come home, have no work to be done and generally have a day off, on top of the fact they have just been off for 2 weeks.

Not ideal really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Just measured 6cm of snow here, near Colchester, which was easy as I have a flat area outside and there's sod all wind.

Seems to be intensifying again too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

Heaviest it's been in Wanstead, my gf and I working from home on one lap top!drunk.gif

Posted

Stopped here in Felixstowe now!!

Best part of 3 inches.

Got my eye on the north sea now with fingers crossed for more (don't want to be greedy!!).

Any thoughts for further snow in east suffolk?

Posted

i just wated to add i hope the people in the areas with a lot of snow are kinda prepaird for the thaw and the probable swelling of rivers and so on ,just a little hint ,incase ,be prepaired ,you never know

Current data for Linslade

06 January 2010 10:13:41

Temperature (°C):

Current -0.5

Trend (per hour) +0.3

Average today -1.0

Wind chill -0.5

Humidex -3.1

Dew Point -1.8

Rel Humidity 91%

Wind (mph):

Current Gust 3.1 WNW

Average Speed 0.0 S

Pressure (mb):

Current 1002.9

Trend (per hour) +0.7

Posted

I find mine is 15mins behind too has been since I subscribed on Sunday - I thought that was how it was, 5 minute refresh always 15 mins behind :lol:

Is a mod or somebody else able to confirm this please?

Posted

light stuff here in plumstead, but radar looks promising for us in about 30-60 minutes :lol:

hiya maf im just round the corner in thamesmead lol do you think we will get much more snow today thanks

Woah crazy.......... Falling really heavy still with large flakes.

Sky TV isn't working because of the amount of snow on it (I had to reach out the bathroom window with the broom to try and get it off :lol:)

Also the phone cable accros our garden are extrenley low! the amout of snow on them means they are nearly touchable which is quite scary! Main roads are covered in snow, looking quite bad.

Where is your location?

Posted

getting a bit annoying. Light to moderate snow now for 2 hours. Must have had about 2cm from this but ares a little further north are getting much more. Suppose can't complain its still cold.gif

You should come here mate!:lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

For areas of London and the se that didn't get much snow this was just the first course! the colder upper air hasn't even arrived yet this combined with a strong ene flow will produce further significant snowfall. As i said the other day there are at least another 5 days of snow chances. I didn't post too much last night as i just gave up trying to get across to people that there is days of this to come. For the people who did nothing but moan before the event had even started and ended up with lots of snow, please learn something from this and in future just wait to see how a situation develops.

Hi Nick....when is the cold upers and lower dew points due to arrive in the South East ? We are just about hanging on to our 2cm snow depth but temps and DP's slowly rising again. Now 0.8c DP -0.4c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Must have started snowing in Norwich as one school there has closed due to weather . . come on blow some snow this way!!

Janet

Absolutely insane- there's only one inch here!

Posted
  • Location: Ormesby St Margaret - Nr Gt Yarmouth / Work in Norwich
  • Location: Ormesby St Margaret - Nr Gt Yarmouth / Work in Norwich

Norwich missed the main area of snow last night due to being too far north and east, but now that it's out of the way, being to the northeast has its advantages as the snow/graupel showers are piling in from the North Sea.

Hi TWS, that sounds promising! There seems to be a lot of snow showers out to the east between Norfolk/Suffolk and Holland. Is that currently heading east and therefore likely to hit Norfolk/Suffolk ? Norwich in particular?

Just noticed it has started snowing here again, very light though and really doesn't want to settle on the roads.(It does settle everywhere else though)

Edited by HomerJ