Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion XXXIII

Posted

For areas of London and the se that didn't get much snow this was just the first course! the colder upper air hasn't even arrived yet this combined with a strong ene flow will produce further significant snowfall. As i said the other day there are at least another 5 days of snow chances. I didn't post too much last night as i just gave up trying to get across to people that there is days of this to come. For the people who did nothing but moan before the event had even started and ended up with lots of snow, please learn something from this and in future just wait to see how a situation develops.

Yeah your quite right, I'm not going to be about for that next round of fun and games but could well be some interesting weather about thats for sure, a band of light-moderate snowfall looks like streaming in from Europe over the weekend, so well worth watching. Wind direction looks good for EA, esp parts that have missed out totally in the last 24hrs.

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

I like to check this thread for photos and snow depths and so far hardly anybody has posted either!Come on guys, take some pics; get that ruler out! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Now snowing as heavily as at any other time this morning.

Posted

getting a bit annoying. Light to moderate snow now for 2 hours. Must have had about 2cm from this but ares a little further north are getting much more. Suppose can't complain its still cold.gif

Heavier here now (Southgate, N London) and the wind seems to have picked up too!!!

Posted

tried that and still the same.

well give it a bit of time. i know the site is really busy and the overload may have stretched the servers. perhaps in a while you will get it. :)

Posted

If we get this for another hour or two I will be gobsmacked! AND the other band that is supposed to move down from the north hasn't yet!

Lovely stuff!

Congrats Saint :)

Posted

Got my eye on the huge area of precp in the north sea due east of Norwich!!

Will that track south-eastwards, if so where might it hit land Norfolk/ Suffolk/ Essex or further South?

ANY IDEAS?

Posted

Darren the Low was always meant to be moving towards the WSW To be situated near Alderney by this afternoon, but I agree we have been screwed over - Ho Hum it is like the lottery with Snow, just think we have been lucky to even see snow tbh, poor Cambs seems to be the most screwed over at present and are missing everything!

Temp and Dewpoint are worrying here and I am hoping these really cold winds are going to get here, it was supposed to be advected from the NE By now but clearly the temps and dewpoints are nowhere near what they should be by now.

Paul S

It's been fantastic to see so many members on here seeing the best snowfall ever. Please spare a thought for your fellow Cambridgeshire no-snowers. All donations of the white stuff will be gratefully received :)

Posted

Just about stopped here now. A couple of local B roads closed due to snow. I hope the band of snow which we had keeps it's intensity for the rest of you as it moves south as we had moderate to heavy falls for some time. Now looking to see what that stuff in the North Sea is going to do. Also watching the temps creep up a little

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Well our garden shed just caved in , I watching it for an hr as you do and said to her in doors should i get that snow of it (its not the newest of sheds).

Had about a foot here

Worried about roofs and gutterings no bodies mentioned that on tele ??

I can clear the gutterings but the sheer weight of snow on the roofs must be amazing

Calcs anyone ?

Seen on tele a bus shelter collapse in Banbury

Edited by stewfox

Posted

hiya maf im just round the corner in thamesmead lol do you think we will get much more snow today thanks

well the indications are for more to come, and the radar is perhaps the best bet right now. am seeing lots of posts saying there is snow about, but the SE Corner of London seems to be a bit of light stuff. i think its really a case of watching the very latest forecasts on the news channels and checking the radar :)

http://www.meteox.co.uk/gmapstatic.aspx?zoom=6&type=zoom&x=215&y=242

Posted

Hi Nick....when is the cold upers and lower dew points due to arrive in the South East ? We are just about hanging on to our 2cm snow depth but temps and DP's slowly rising again. Now 0.8c DP -0.4c

The coldest upper air is due to arrive early hours of Friday and last into Sunday, there is around a good 48hr window where we should see the strongest convection taking place over the North Sea. I would expect the UKMO to upgrade their warnings for this time period, also a chance of some more persistent snow tied in with an occlusion thrown nw ahead of the main Euro low.

Edited by nick sussex

Posted

Must admit to being very happy with this mornings events, woke up to roughly 2" of snow but now

have approx 7" and still snowing.

The outlook for at least the next week is probably as good as it gets, incredible winter so far.

I genuinely hope that the areas that have missed out so far get there share later today or over the

coming days.

Posted

I like to check this thread for photos and snow depths and so far hardly anybody has posted either!Come on guys, take some pics; get that ruler out! :)

Well there's 6 centimetres here at the moment, seems to be slowing off a bit now. Would love to post some pics, but last time I tried they came out HUGE:oops:

If anyone has any tips on how to get them small enough to post I'd be grateful.

Posted

For areas of London and the se that didn't get much snow this was just the first course! the colder upper air hasn't even arrived yet this combined with a strong ene flow will produce further significant snowfall. As i said the other day there are at least another 5 days of snow chances. I didn't post too much last night as i just gave up trying to get across to people that there is days of this to come. For the people who did nothing but moan before the event had even started and ended up with lots of snow, please learn something from this and in future just wait to see how a situation develops.

nick, did you wear this emoticon out last night then wallbash.gif

:)

Posted

Snowing lovely here now, gone from lightish to moderate the last hour, now settling roofs turned white etc.

Think i'm right in middle of the band going from west-east, as long as doesn't sink i may see a couple cm,s

Posted

I like to check this thread for photos and snow depths and so far hardly anybody has posted either!Come on guys, take some pics; get that ruler out! :D

Well there's 6 centimetres here at the moment, seems to be slowing off a bit now. Would love to post some pics, but last time I tried they came out HUGE:oops:

If anyone has any tips on how to get them small enough to post I'd be grateful.

Posted

5cm of white slush on the pavements and roads, but it has been snowing for 4+ hours and I think there is a lot more to come yet. Ground temps are currently a little too high but I think the sheer weight of continued snow will bring temps down and give a better covering.

Ruddy cold out on the ladder, taking the Christmas decorations down this morning :D

Posted

We are getting hammered at the moment

Yup...Snowy snorbens does it again!

We've had 2-3 inches since 7am and it's still coming down very hard. Best snow in years and years!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Hi TWS, that sounds promising! There seems to be a lot of snow showers out to the east between Norfolk/Suffolk and Holland. Is that currently heading east and therefore likely to hit Norfolk/Suffolk ? Norwich in particular?

Just noticed it has started snowing here again, very light though and really doesn't want to settle on the roads.(It does settle everywhere else though)

Yes that's a bit of a surprise- it's the same at UEA, settling easily on the grass but struggling on concrete surfaces. Usually that is a sign that either air or ground temperatures are marginal. Temperatures in the Norwich area are currently around 0 to 0.5C suggesting that it may be ground temps that are the main problem. But if snow gets heavy enough it will overcome high ground temperatures.

Tomorrow looks like having a sizeable dumping over parts of Norfolk with snow showers coinciding with a trough and front over East Anglia.

Posted

Yup...Snowy snorbens does it again!

We've had 2-3 inches since 7am and it's still coming down very hard. Best snow in years and years!

Yep superb here!:D Roads are so quiet because the main roads are covered in snow!

Going to be icy tomorrow and for the next few days......