Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

Still snowing heavy over here, I've had 2 branches collapse on one of my trees

I think the band is sinking More STH'ly than SW'ly according to rain today.....You'll get it but our's is fizzling now.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Snow coming down heavy in Tun Wells - big fat flakes in last half hour, a couple more cms in last hour. Wind really picking up too with driving snow.

post-1052-12628005266652_thumb.jpgpost-1052-12628005498352_thumb.jpg

Looks like N Kent coast will continue to get a good dumping in next hour or so, especially Sherness across to Herne Bay.

Posted
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)

GEtting HEavier!!! COME ON :drinks:

Just for you neilsouth.....

Hope you get the snow as I think you been waiting long enough! Lol. :)

post-2901-12628006705652_thumb.jpg

Posted

Hi everyone.

Just wondering why this is being classed by the media as the worst snow since 1987 ???? Here in basildon, we have had almost didly squat in the way of snow. I remember walking to work and the snow was well above my knee in 1987 !!!

Anyhow, good luck to everyone who has had snow, and long my it continue !! drinks.gif

Posted

Good luck, i've asked more than a few times, but because the action is further down south Norfolk has been ignored despite it being in East Anglia.

According to the hi res nnm charts you could get snow from 10pm tonight till about 3am then from 8am you are at risk of some snow from the low moving in off the continent. Hope this helps and hope i am right. lol

Posted

Hope you get the snow as I think you been waiting long enough! Lol. :whistling:

will that lot catch Ashford aswell??

Posted

Hi everyone.

Just wondering why this is being classed by the media as the worst snow since 1987 ???? Here in basildon, we have had almost didly squat in the way of snow. I remember walking to work and the snow was well above my knee in 1987 !!!

Anyhow, good luck to everyone who has had snow, and long my it continue !! drinks.gif

Same in South Woodham. Have to go back to the early 1990s for even a half-foot of snow, I think.

For extended, intense PPN we need a ESEly flow. Might that happen on Sat/Sun? Too early to say, and right now the Euro low not guaranteed to be in right place to provide PPN anyway. But has potential to be better for us in a ESE flow this Sat/Sun...

Posted

According to the hi res nnm charts you could get snow from 10pm tonight till about 3am then from 8am you are at risk of some snow from the low moving in off the continent. Hope this helps and hope i am right. lol

I'd say you are close, but I hope you are wrong as I have to drive home in whatever is happening. Friday can do what it wants, Thursday I'd like to be reasonable please :whistling:

Posted

Hi Gareth,

Was it you who had a long drive this week? if it was how did it go? If it wasn't, just ignore me

Yep! Drove down last night, clear all the way till Swanley, Kent around 1015pm, it then started snowing, more heavily and got an inch in an hour, that was it for here.

I then drove to Guildford this morning, they have 3-4 inches, 5 miles down the road they had 10 inches!

Pleased to say the gritters have done an excellent job of all the roads down here, they were well prepared. Back up to Norfolk tomorrow!

Posted

Hi everyone.

The build up and excitement to this cold spell has been great and it has proved that this country can get sustained cold and heavy snowfall*

* with the exception of Essex. We have had nothing more than nuisance snow - enough to skid and slide everywhere but that's about it. I can'r remember a real decent snowfall here since 1991.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Hope you get the snow as I think you been waiting long enough! Lol. :D

Thanks for that :whistling::good:

Posted

will that lot catch Ashford aswell??

The main bulk of the PPN is moving South Westwards. It appears to lose intensity when it moves inland, but some areas look like doing well from this.

Edited by North Londoner

Posted

Hi everyone.

Welcome to the forums :whistling:

In answer to your question, this spell isn't over yet. There's a good week left with chances of more snow in the region. Secondly, in 1987 other areas may have had didly squat! Indeed, in terms of snowfall at present, we don't have any more snow on the ground here than last February. The difference this time is that more snow is forecast with minimal melting.

Posted

Still nothing of significance here in Folkestone and I doubt we'll get anything now.

I've given up now Snowy Bob

Posted

Yep! Drove down last night, clear all the way till Swanley, Kent around 1015pm, it then started snowing, more heavily and got an inch in an hour, that was it for here.

I then drove to Guildford this morning, they have 3-4 inches, 5 miles down the road they had 10 inches!

Pleased to say the gritters have done an excellent job of all the roads down here, they were well prepared. Back up to Norfolk tomorrow!

Might be in convoy then, the only 2 people heading INTO Norfolk and the snow :whistling:

Posted

Thanks for the update. Better brace ourselves then.:whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Still nothing of significance here in Folkestone and I doubt we'll get anything now.

It's still a good few hours from you yet

Posted

Hi Milly!

Herts Highways have said that the grit probably wont work tonight as forecasted temps are down to -7c!:whistling::D

Same conditions on my road to yours, except it's worse as we are on a hill!

Hello Saint!

Bloomin' 'eck! That's chilly. :good:

From what I recall the whole of StAlbans is on a hill isn't it? lol :D

Well done on your snow. We are down to -2.1c currently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

Snow coming down heavy in Tun Wells - big fat flakes in last half hour, a couple more cms in last hour. Wind really picking up too with driving snow.

post-1052-12628005266652_thumb.jpgpost-1052-12628005498352_thumb.jpg

Looks like N Kent coast will continue to get a good dumping in next hour or so, especially Sherness across to Herne Bay.

Is that Rochdale Road Nick? We used to live at the top of there!!!

What do those charts say for our neck of the woods SK1?