Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

No idea what Slinky is on about.

Currently we have some action with showers developing near the Wash. The BBC forecasts are suggesting snowfall tomorrow morning as does the 12Z GFS. This isn't even taking into account the convection from the NE,ly and then we have this weekend.

The trouble is some look for the white blobs without properly listening to the forecasts.

Dave not seen the radar mate as been at work, the beeb forecast i saw earlier showed the showers not quite making it to us? Maybe they have updated, I will go and look :nonono:

Posted

Any reports from Medway area? Looks like its tipping it down there now? Isle of Grain through to Gillingham etc?

Posted

I had about an hour and a half of at times heavy snowfall, give 3 or 4cm of snow around lunchtime, nice little covering, plenty of potential for the rest of the week, this may only be the start for some people

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Yep. Fair do's. Humble pie being eaten here atm. whistling.gif

No worrieslaugh.gif It's great to find a forum with weather enthusiasts! Have been a weather geek since a young kid in the 1970's - sparked by a big storm on 2-3rd Jan 76.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Still bugger all if anything it's thawing out :nonono:

Edited by neilsouth

I am a novice weather watcher and quite frankly I am utterly disappointed by the pathetically small amount of snow we have had in Norwich (again!). I generally watch the BBC and I thought I would post on here to ask why they keep getting it wrong for Norfolk?

It seem to happen time and time again that Norfolk get forecast snow only for it to be delayed, eventually for it never to actually happen!

Please could someone tell me if we are actually going to get some decent snow ( more than 0.5cm!!) My parents live in Yorkshire and they have had oodles and so I am very peeved!

Your in hope of an explanation

ns1993

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Timmy, Broxbourne definately benefited from the early to mid morning stream of showers and then the early afternoon one before it all headed further south, it also managed to be far enough west to pick up some from when the front moved PPN initially up from SW last night. I think some places further north and north east in Hertfordshire did not fair as well.

True Hammer....very rare thing for us to get caught in a sweet spot but with Feb 09 that's twice in a year.

Posted

Kold and Shrimper ridiculed the Met Office forecast earlier. What do they say now?

Hardly mate, I said locally that 4-8cms wouldn't happen around here and in Thurrock, and unless places further east got more then I got...we didn't get that. Got about half of that was right inline with what I was expecting for this area.

Overall about an inch here with last nights snow which is ok, but nothing compared to where I'm heading tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Currently we have some action with showers developing near the Wash. The BBC forecasts are suggesting snowfall tomorrow morning as does the 12Z GFS. This isn't even taking into account the convection from the NE,ly and then we have this weekend.

The trouble is some look for the white blobs without properly listening to the forecasts.

Watching those showers myself - trouble is they track 20 miles inland and then...........GONE!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow, and lovely summer Sun

even heavier and bigger flakes now everything covered :nonono:

hi do u think it will come this far? regards chris

Posted

finally snowing here in canterbury,

and if we dont get a decent covering from that lot of this radar..... im moving..... to canada!!! lol

My link

Oh, so it is! Hoping for a bit more that last nights dustin!

Posted

Dave not seen the radar mate as been at work, the beeb forecast i saw earlier showed the showers not quite making it to us? Maybe they have updated, I will go and look :nonono:

The BBC forecast at 13.25 was excellent for our region.

The models suggest a NE,ly rather than a ENE,ly (haven't seen UKMO yet) and at the moment the main activity will be around the Wash rather than the Thames. The thames requires a ENE/E,ly.

Also when you have a NE,ly you have to take into account that Peterborough is only 30miles from the Wash.

Posted

True Hammer....very rare thing for us to get caught in a sweet spot but with Feb 09 that's twice in a year.

Yes Feb 09 was good. In December I was in the middle of 2 bands of heavier PPN, although again still had a couple of inches on the ground for 6 days till it melted just before Christmas Day.

Jan 2010 today pretty pleased with. Wondering if the next 4 days brings any further heavy snowfall to our locations.

Interesting times.

Posted

Well hello there!

I've been a fan and follower of NetWeather for many years now and have finally summoned the courage to speak out!

Not much to say other than it has snowed from 10pm - 1am last night, 8am - 12nn then 1pm - 4pm today. We now have about 3 inches here in Waltham Abbey (Essex/Herts/N London border) and can see exactly where TEITS is coming from as another wave of precipitation heads in from The Wash in the general direction of SE England.

This weekend looks like it could be even worse (or better if you're a snow-lover like me!!!)

Regards,

Finny

Posted
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)

Timmy, Broxbourne definately benefited from the early to mid morning stream of showers and then the early afternoon one before it all headed further south, it also managed to be far enough west to pick up some from when the front moved PPN initially up from SW last night. I think some places further north and north east in Hertfordshire did not fair as well.

Well we had 3 to 4 inches combined in Buntingford (North East Herts) from last night and this afternoon.

Also plenty of snow in surrounding areas (the most Northern extent was Royston on borders with South Cambridgeshire).

Was not really expecting this snowfall! :D

Edited by North Londoner

Posted

Hardly mate, I said locally that 4-8cms wouldn't happen around here and in Thurrock, and unless places further east got more then I got...we didn't get that. Got about half of that was right inline with what I was expecting for this area.

Overall about an inch here with last nights snow which is ok, but nothing compared to where I'm heading tomorrow.

Cant be arsed to get a ruler out. But I reckon I've just scraped into the 4cm zone at a push :D

Get some pics up on here of G'ford mate. Will be nice to see "proper" snow for once!

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

Met forecast persistant snow on Sunday:

Remaining cold with snow showers, mainly affecting eastern parts, on Friday and Saturday. Windy on Sunday with snow for Northern Ireland, Wales and much of England.

Posted

The BBC forecast at 13.25 was excellent for our region.

The models suggest a NE,ly rather than a ENE,ly (haven't seen UKMO yet) and at the moment the main activity will be around the Wash rather than the Thames. The thames requires a ENE/E,ly.

Also when you have a NE,ly you have to take into account that Peterborough is only 30miles from the Wash.

Very true. What way was the wind blowing 17th/18th December? Was that an NE?

Thought's for EA and Essex/Kent over the next few days mate? More to come?