Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

The snow has now stopped. We can all look forward to a big freeze tonight. Central London temps are forecast to go down to -3c, which means outer London probably about -4c/-5c and rural areas could go much lower.

Posted

PPN belt now beginning to exit essex coast- so clearer air now appearing there- I expect once the skies clear across the region tonight- temps will plummet to -5c-

I also expect tome reports of very heavy snow to start coming in from, bluewater,Gravesend, down towards Sittingbourne- as highlighted earlier-

S temp here down another notice- 0.2c

Hiya Steve

Allow me! Lots of heavy snowfall which began at around 2pm has established itself - The flakes are thick and falling fast from the sky - looking at the radar, we are now in the 'thick of it' here in North Kent after having waited the main part of daylight hours to get there! lol!

Looks like this could last since the feed from the north sea coming in on a north easterly looks set to continue for some time yet! Any idea of how long we might expect ?

Edited by snowfish

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Sounds great but the PPN seems to be drifting south. No PPN here in the heart of SE Essex (South Woodham Ferrers) and Leigh reports in PPN dying off too. Perhaps the wind will turn more Easterly again?

Yes, N Kent maybe more a of a beneficiary for heavy snow now, given the wind direction and movement of the front. Definately think the slight uplift of the N Kent coast is aiding in bringing the heavy snowfall that we are seeing reports for now in that area.

Posted

Hello this is Stevenage reporting in.

We have 4cm here in total.

Are you sure you dont mean 4in? I'm in Knebworth and we have at least 4 inches!

Nope definitely 4cm...1.5inches Measured the bin top. You must have got a better hit than us, think you are about 4.5 miles to the south of me.

Posted

PPN belt now beginning to exit essex coast- so clearer air now appearing there- I expect once the skies clear across the region tonight- temps will plummet to -5c-

I also expect tome reports of very heavy snow to start coming in from, bluewater,Gravesend, down towards Sittingbourne- as highlighted earlier-

S temp here down another notice- 0.2c

just looking ahead and i cannot believe the wide band in the north sea is heading soutwards. i thought the wind was supposed to be an easterly from this afternoon. would have hoped that band would act like a thames streamer with an easterly and hit our areas this evening :lol:

Posted

Snow just dying off now in Brighton, which is consistent with the Meteox radar as the band that was sticking to the Sussex coast drifts off into the Channel. Hoping for that band currently to the north to come south later this evening.

Posted

That's better much heavier in Gravesend and bigger flakes too! :lol:

You beat me to it! Was just about to say, much heavier in the last half hour and really big flakes. With the wind blowing it across, it is settling on the small amount we had last night. Working from home tomorrow then!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and hot in summer

we have heavy snow in strood kent.started 20 mins ago. road covered already. hopefully more to come.

Posted

Could some wise person explain to me why we in thanet seem to have missed all the excitement and what little snow we did have is dissappearing , we seem to be an island that is surrounded on three sides by a sea of snow :lol:

Posted

Ealing, West London final analysis.

Overnight: Moderate snow turned heavy for a time 2.5cm by morning.

All day: Light snow, no further accumulation

Late afternoon: Heavy snow. 2-3cm accumulation.

Final totals on flat ground 4.5cm, everything white, snow hanging prettily from trees.

Not bad for London.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Snow just dying off now in Brighton, which is consistent with the Meteox radar as the band that was sticking to the Sussex coast drifts off into the Channel. Hoping for that band currently to the north to come south later this evening.

Yes.. I am hoping for that too.. fingers crossed!! smile.gif

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Still no moderate snow in canterbury area , just snizzle :lol:

Posted

Snow stopping here now, a nice inch of snow on the ground which is better then I expected to be honest...

However still IMO a rather poor show...

Can't wait to see Guildford and some proper deep snow not the poor excuse this area has been.

Posted

ame='Tim Bland' date='06 January 2010 - 16:16 ' timestamp='1262794603' post='1713184']

Nope definitely 4cm...1.5inches Measured the bin top. You must have got a better hit than us, think you are about 4.5 miles to the south of me.

We must have got a better stream here aswell I measured 8 inches, it did snow heavy for 2 hours non stop between 8 -10 am.

Posted

just looking ahead and i cannot believe the wide band in the north sea is heading soutwards. i thought the wind was supposed to be an easterly from this afternoon. would have hoped that band would act like a thames streamer with an easterly and hit our areas this evening :)

Huge let down. It was always projected to go south but I thought we'd get more of it than we did.

Being generous, snow pack here now 2 cm... pitiful! Still not unhappy - some snow is better than no snow. Lightly screwed better than totally screwed - glass half full and all that :lol: .