Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Have to say totally caught off guard by the streamer this morning - although we were on the northern fringes still a very interesting drive east along the A120. Never seen flakes that big - some the size of Peter Shilton's hands... Just goes to reinforce what the experienced posters say in these dynamic situations - the forecasts can only highlight regions where snow is possible but the only way to truly know (and to avoid disappointment) is to fire up the radar on the day. Currently very happy with the 2 - 3 inches we have and hoping for a top up tomorrow. :unsure:

Posted

UW96-21.GIF?05-05

streamer for the THAMES TEITS....

s

The trouble is Steve based on the GFS by the time we pick up a ENE,ly we're loosing the very cold uppers. Infact from +96 onwards its looking rather marginal for those near the coast.

The NAE definately supports the action around the Wash rather than the Thames at the moment.

I will add that I haven't seen the UKMO+72 upper temps because Meteociel keeps crashing on me.

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

I'm with you. I have asked a few times about this. Norfolk has been the only part of the country that has missed this event, and for the foreseeable future, looks like it will remain virtually snow free, from every angle be it east, north south or west, it misses us. Annoying i know.

I really don't think that the met office have had any idea what is going to happen until a few hours before! No doubt, they will give a good forecast for the weekend, only for it to miss us again! :unsure:

Posted

Only had about 5" i would say

only!? I've only had 1 inch, and that's in the deepest parts of the garden lol!

Ah well, I see that band has slowed down considerably going to be a while before it gets here, but when it does could be here a long time :unsure:

Posted

Hi, I've been lurking for years but don't normally post. We think we've just seen lightening in Paddock Wood, Kent.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

No worrieslaugh.gif It's great to find a forum with weather enthusiasts! Have been a weather geek since a young kid in the 1970's - sparked by a big storm on 2-3rd Jan 76.

I remember that one — had to walk home 6 miles from High Wycombe when I was a student (certainly wouldn't be able to do that now) I think we were on our last legs when we were given a lift for the final 2 miles.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

Stopped here now, think thats it for today. About 3" in total depth. Temp still 0.3c. DP 0.0c Need clouds to break now in order to freeze the pack.

Back tomorrow.....lol !

Posted

Going to be a very cold night, locally in the zone its going to be severe I'm pretty confident about that, which will help to really surpress those temperatures tomorrow so expect a very bitter day tomorrow, probably no thaw at all.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Snow finally coming down heavier here now, as the heavier band sinks S across Kent. Been out with ruler and have between 7-8cm currently, hopefully will top up the snowpack by the end of the evening.

12z NAE and GFS bit slow with movement of the band south, here's the precip progs for 6pm:

post-1052-12627981534152_thumb.gifpost-1052-12627981720052_thumb.png

Posted

Going to be a very cold night, locally in the zone its going to be severe I'm pretty confident about that, which will help to really surpress those temperatures tomorrow so expect a very bitter day tomorrow, probably no thaw at all.

Kold what do you think the chances are for heavy snow Saturday night into Sunday for our region?

Posted

F.A.O Andy H of Hertford, here is a pic with todays Snow Depth, sorry must have been eight out on the snow fields with blowing snow etc. but only 5 and a half in my garden lol still a great fall with more to come so I have been told.

35avhc1.jpg

Posted

Ha you funny chappy you <_< I can't help it if I am eight feet tall....

now mr funny, can you tell me if the band is likely to drop or not? hmmm?

Touch and go looking at the new NW radar. I'm trying to work out the track but topography and other factors may come into play.

It's still snowing here in Eastbourne, almost 12 hours after it started, temps are dropping and the slush on the road looks lethal. Looks like another day off for me tomorrow! :cc_confused:

Posted

In Milton Keynes, where it hardly ever sticks, we had 4 inches over night, another inch between 1pm and 2pm, then the sky's cleared.

Since 4pm, the temp has dropped from 0.0 to -4.5 and falling 0. per 3 mins.

This snow is gonna stay around for quite a few days, the roads will be worse tomorrow morning as they are now compacted and Im sure we will get some more before it all ends.

It all looks beautiful, Ive always wanted this but at the same time, now Im a little older, it is also a pain in the I have a problem, cause I gots to work to pays the mortgage!!

Its all so bitter sweet.

nea.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

Snow finally coming down heavier here now, as the heavier band sinks S across Kent. Been out with ruler and have between 7-8cm currently, hopefully will top up the snowpack by the end of the evening.

12z NAE and GFS bit slow with movement of the band south, here's the precip progs for 6pm:

post-1052-12627981534152_thumb.gifpost-1052-12627981720052_thumb.png

By those charts we may be in for a bit of a dumping eh Nick?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer & Snowy Winter

It started snowing last night and we got approximately 4 - 7 inches. Heavy Snow started falling at 1:15pm. More Snow predicted by MET OFFICE.

Edited by Luton-Weather

Posted

The trouble is Steve based on the GFS by the time we pick up a ENE,ly we're loosing the very cold uppers. Infact from +96 onwards its looking rather marginal for those near the coast.

The NAE definately supports the action around the Wash rather than the Thames at the moment.

I will add that I haven't seen the UKMO+72 upper temps because Meteociel keeps crashing on me.

TEITS so this is looking good for our area its about time we get some snow after the last stuff missed use :cc_confused: .

Posted

I can't believe it as Victor would say.....we have snow in Canterbury and in Sittingbourne and just across at the Isle of Sheppey and what have we got.....thick cloud and Snizzle as Neilsouth calls it....been watching the thick black clouds heading for London all afternoon.Very frustrating :cc_confused:

Posted

Here is your snow Slinky.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack0.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack0a.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack1.gif

Tomorrow morning looks excellent for us. We then have a couple of troughs moving through although the heaviest of the snow will always be in the E.

These are the updated fax charts by the way.

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted

http://www.wetterzen...pics/brack0.gif

http://www.wetterzen...ics/brack0a.gif

http://www.wetterzen...pics/brack1.gif

Tomorrow morning looks excellent for us. We then have a couple of troughs moving through although the heaviest of the snow will always be in the E.

Thanks for posting these. Look how close the 510DAM gets before receeding.

Very wintry few days ahead drinks.gif

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Snowing though not much , a more intense fall is moving out of the north sea towards east kent/north kent now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

http://www.wetterzen...pics/brack0.gif

http://www.wetterzen...ics/brack0a.gif

http://www.wetterzen...pics/brack1.gif

These are the updated fax charts by the way.

Any idea of amounts for us TEITS?

Posted

I can't believe it as Victor would say.....we have snow in Canterbury and in Sittingbourne and just across at the Isle of Sheppey and what have we got.....thick cloud and Snizzle as Neilsouth calls it....been watching the thick black clouds heading for London all afternoon.Very frustrating :(

* every year for 15+ years you get to understand how living in South Woodham Ferrers feels like over winter! I'm guessing you have had more than 4cms in Herne Bay since the early 1990s :(

Feb 09 - Dusting

Dec 17 - 3-4 cm (2 inches not 2cm I said earlier)

Jan 5/6 - 2 cm!

In Leigh they have 4cm grrrr ;)

:D