Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Hey, im new here as well, i done a few posts many pages back now but no one noticed me :blush:

Anyway Im from Grays in Thurrock and have been reading this site for a very long time and just managed to post at last, it's been a very exciting couple of days, but i don't really have much snow to show for it.hoping for something better soon. this site is great, so much info.

chilli XX

I noticed you Chilli, thought you had a great username

The perfect storm is on BBC1 now, I think it is a documentary about this coming weekend:cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Steve thank you at last someone has mentioned that there is a central or Mid Kent. It is not mentioned enough and i never know where i am in marginal situations

I never know where I am in any situation (lol)

East Milton Keynes, Home Counties, North Bucks, South East, I give up now !

Watched BBC National & Local then ITV National & Local weather ~ 4 totally different forecasts,

just going to look out the window and see what happens now or listen to those who know best on here!

Posted

Had some fantastic snow here today. Hoping for more tomorrow, although not sure how likely that is!!

A couple of pictures from my walk this afternoon (not sure if I've done this right so hope they're not too big or I've done it wrong!)

DSC_0627.jpg?t=1262818288

DSC_0633.jpg?t=1262818491

Posted

So that word I hate 'marginal' will come into play at the weekend. Shock horror. Not expecting much here then. Dammit!

Yep looks that way, saying that this is a slightly different set-up in there really isn't anything in the way of a developing low to thrust milder air up, so it'd be a slow warming and thus possibly could see the colder air hanging firm and the warmer air simply riding over and making it the right side of marginal.

I think its going to close regardless though to be honest.

The only good thing about SW Essex is the flow stays more NE for longer until the eveing hours when they shift ENE...

Not that impressive lapse rates between 850hpa and 500hpa mind you, esp sunday the temp differences look very flabby IMO...

Posted

In a straight north-easterly Kent and Norfolk, and coastal Suffolk are most at risk. We need more of a straight easterly in my neck of the woods. However, that is with a straight streamer. If a trough develops then i think all areas will be at risk. Isnt the wind profile meant to veer more to an easterly later in the weekend? It starts more NE'erly, then switches if im not mistaken...

Sometimes it isn't as straight forward as that.

During the Dec 2005 ENE,ly Peterborough did especially well and yet during the Feb 2009 ENE,ly I didn't see much snowfall. However when it comes to a NE,ly then Norfolk, Wash, Lincs get nailed. The Feb 1979 NE,ly gave my region and Lincs 6ft drifts. It was because of Feb 1979 why im on here today.

At this stage nobody can say who will fair best Norfolk,Wash,Kent etc. This is why im always cautious until I actually see the snow on the radar.

Actually just remembered a ENE,ly in the 1980s that gave me 1ft of snow in 4hrs. The most amazing snowfall I have seen and will never be repeated IMO.

Posted

Alas an inch to my waist as well as the snow depth! :blush:

I know - the snow here in Reigate has been nothing short of brilliant... Unluckily I had work today but it's only in town so I walked in over Priory Park which was magnificent this morning... someone had also built a 7 foor snow penis as well!!

Before it got mashed from the kids (and Adults) I bet!!

Posted

So that word I hate 'marginal' will come into play at the weekend. Shock horror. Not expecting much here then. Dammit!

North Sea is 9C at the mouth of the estuary. That's down 2C from 11C on 25th December. Down 1C from 10C on the 1st Jan. On 10th Jan it could be down to 8C. if the GFS is working from 9C now rather than possible 8C by the weekend it might make some difference. After the weekend though.. not looking good. We need a high positioned so to reload the cold over Scandinavia.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/59108-uk-sea-surface-temperatures/

Posted

There is alot of showers around north cambs,west norfolk and east linconshire was this for now or later in the night when the low moves in.

No this is just a taster.

The Sat pics clearly show the area of snow that will hit this region.

Posted

I'm new too....s'pose it's all too exciting for the regulars on here....we can just watch and wait.....they're quite good on here if you haven't already noticed cc_confused.gif

Hi LynM I did welcome you in a previous post,the posts go on here so fast that you have to look back a few pages to make sure you have not missed anything.

It does get fun watching the posts,some people ramp up the situations and others deflate them just as quick :blush: Again I hope you enjoy all the banter as well.

Posted

Benson in Oxfordshire currently at -12.9c! And agree with SM here, theres likely to be significant snow with those cold upper air temps and strong ene flow. A good window for eastern and se areas of about 48hrs to see lots of snow. It's a very good set up, bear in mind last Febs major London snowfall came off a very short easterly, this will be around alot longer, then theres the possibility of some more persistent snow from that upper warm front, don't panic! its just warmer but much higher up, theres quite a deep surface cold pool.

Posted

Yep looks that way, saying that this is a slightly different set-up in there really isn't anything in the way of a developing low to thrust milder air up, so it'd be a slow warming and thus possibly could see the colder air hanging firm and the warmer air simply riding over and making it the right side of marginal.

I think its going to close regardless though to be honest.

The only good thing about SW Essex is the flow stays more NE for longer until the eveing hours when they shift ENE...

Not that impressive lapse rates between 850hpa and 500hpa mind you, esp sunday the temp differences look very flabby IMO...

Cheers for the reply mate. Best make the most of any snow before sunday then? Wrong side of marginal into next wk im guessing then or just sunday?

Posted

During the Dec 2005 ENE,ly Peterborough did especially well and yet during the Feb 2009 ENE,ly I didn't see much snowfall. However when it comes to a NE,ly then Norfolk, Wash, Lincs get nailed. The Feb 1979 NE,ly gave my region and Lincs 6ft drifts. It was because of Feb 1979 why im on here today.

At this stage nobody can say who will fair best Norfolk,Wash,Kent etc. This is why im always cautious until I actually see the snow on the radar.

Actually just remembered a ENE,ly in the 1980s that gave me 1ft of snow in 4hrs. The most amazing snowfall I have seen and will never be repeated IMO.

Hi, what are your thoughts on tomorrows showers for us in Cambs ?

Posted

To be fair though NE are really not that good around here either, the only NE that has ever given much in the way of showers was in Feb 2005, constant snow showers but obviously temps were marginal then so it would settle only to melt afterwards, quite a stunning day though weatherwise...

But as a standard, NE are pretty poor for S.Essex away from the far east, gotta remember mate its a 50-60 mile land trek, without a trough they tend not to have the strength to last this far south...classic example I remember was in a NE Ipswich and even Chelmsford getting 3-4 inches...nothing here other then one very little flurry.

Posted

Before it got mashed from the kids (and Adults) I bet!!

I guess so... when I came back from work there was a large pile of snow where it was!

Posted

Snowing again and pretty heavily in Dover now... looks like we are creeping towards 5" even in the valley... God Knows what it's like up on the hills... Say Whitfield :(

Snow doesn't look like it will ease for a while yet either.

It's stopped here but I can normally see the top of the mast in hougham from my front door way out to the east and it's disappeared again

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

the met office are blaming our cold spell on

... wait for it...

drum roll..

GLOBAL WARMING

http://www.metoffice...r20100106b.html

they really can't help themselves can they?

The same piece was on the BBC story re the cold this morning. Drearily predictable....

Posted

Just saw BBC news 24 and no snow for EA Saturday:wallbash: What gives? Do the BBC know something different?:(

Edited by hobbielancie

Posted

I'm new too....s'pose it's all too exciting for the regulars on here....we can just watch and wait.....they're quite good on here if you haven't already noticed cc_confused.gif

Hi Lyn, I'm another Lyn and another newbie, read a recommendation on another site and it's getting obsessive!

Posted

Benson in Oxfordshire currently at -12.9c!

thats incredible.

confirmed via xcweather : http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

- but might that be a glitch in the weather station reporting that , as the surrounding stations are reporting more in the -5 to -7 kind of range?

Posted

No this is just a taster.

The Sat pics clearly show the area of snow that will hit this region.

Do you have a link for the sat pics, this is looking good for our part of EA.

Posted

thats incredible.

confirmed via xcweather : http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

- but might that be a glitch in the weather station reporting that , as the surrounding stations are reporting more in the -5 to -7 kind of range?

manchester airport at -12 and woodford at -15!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

I remember the 1979 Feb Easterly - I was stranded in Mansfield in Notts for a week! It snowed heavily for 3 solid days, and in the day I could see the outline of the sun through the clouds - even though it was snowing. never seen anything like it then or since. I have always wondered why I could see the out line of the sun, any answers TEITS?

Posted

It's stopped here but I can normally see the top of the mast in hougham from my front door way out to the east and it's disappeared again

coming up to 9cm here between deal and sandwich and still snowing