Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

Oh is this how modern winters are meant to feel?

A thousand snowed-in up near Chesterfield

It's freezing cold outside but it it looks so nice

And it's okay because we're all sorted out for snow and ice

In the middle of the night

It feels so right

But then tomorrow morning

The Tube breaks down

Oh yeah the radio said the schools were closing down

After someone skidded over up in Camden Town

And the younger kids think someone's throwing rice

But that's okay because we're all sorted out for snow and ice

It feels so right

The train breaks down

What if this never breaks down?

unsure.gif

hahaha! your a genius LOL! x

Posted

Well, what a snow day... the snow started at about 9pm last night and snowed right through until 7 this evening... 22 hours of snowfall!

OK, most of it was quite light but the overnight accumulations must have been about 6 inches and then another inch or so through the day before a final heavier burst around 6 (when I went to get fish and chips!) which gave another inch... :o

Wot, around the waist.?? lol

Posted

Local and National forecasts on the Beeb both look good for tomorrow morning and through the day. On recent performance can we add a couple of cm to depth and 10 mph to the wind speed?

Showing -2.7 here now, snow has frozen so hard my ciggy butts are bouncing when I chuck them!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

The 10 o clock news weather forecast showed the snow showers tomorrow afternoon pepping up quite nicely over East Anglia, London and Kent. Could be another interesting day tomorrow! And then there's the weekend...

A lot of people are saying the snow will be light, but there is a lot of potential. Convection off the north sea is unpredictable. No model is going to pick it up, especially this far out. Streamers and showers will develop at a few hours notice.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow, and lovely summer Sun

hi all have a look at this!!! me n the wife just couldnt wait till the morning.

post-9214-12628173182552_thumb.jpgpost-9214-12628173728752_thumb.jpgpost-9214-12628174092052_thumb.jpg

Posted

We had not far short of 24 hrs snowfall here in Reigate, started last night at about 8:45 pm and eventually petered out at around 6:30 pm today. 18.5 cm of fluffy snow and all now freezing hard. Local salt/grit bin was, of couse, empty, so was reduced to throwing dishwaher salt on the steps up to our place. Must be getting old, but at least I tried to melt only a small bit of snow and even then only with a very heavy heart. New puppy went more bonkers than usual at the snow, it being well above his head height. Will have to bring him back inside eventually I suppose. The children also very excited. All I need to do now, so as to give them the authentic 70s snow eperience, is to arrange for some power cuts, fuel shortages, strikes, ice on the inside of their bedroom windows and snapping frozen washing left hanging on the line in the garden. Anyone else remember that? I wore shorts to school for ages as a result of my long trousers shearing off in early 1979, and stil carry the scars.

AS

Posted

Hey, im new here as well, i done a few posts many pages back now but no one noticed me :unsure:

Anyway Im from Grays in Thurrock and have been reading this site for a very long time and just managed to post at last, it's been a very exciting couple of days, but i don't really have much snow to show for it.hoping for something better soon. this site is great, so much info.

chilli XX

Posted
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)

Hi LynM Welcome to the site,Ive been using Netweather for years and watching the forum for just as long and I would rather rely on the forecasts from this site than any other group of forecasters.

It has been a buzz reading whats predicted in the way of snow etc and I am sure you will get hooked to the forum,

:unsure:

Ditto to the above post, best place to find easy to understand, but also detailed weather forecasts. :)

Posted

Oh is this how modern winters are meant to feel?

A thousand snowed-in up near Chesterfield

It's freezing cold outside but it it looks so nice

And it's okay because we're all sorted out for snow and ice

It feels so right

The Tube breaks down

Oh yeah the radio said the schools were closing down

After someone skidded over up in Camden Town

And the younger kids think someone's throwing rice

But that's okay because we're all sorted out for snow and ice

It feels so right

The train breaks down

What if this never breaks down?

unsure.gif

GENIUS!!

fantastic post!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Yep it is a concern, it really depends on the lapse rates within the PPN band & how saturated the air is-

One thing to remember about today was the flow was from the south & SW until the system moved through......

thats what raised the dewpoints-

( favoured spots are suffolk, North & central Kent )-

S

In a straight north-easterly Kent and Norfolk, and coastal Suffolk are most at risk. We need more of a straight easterly in my neck of the woods. However, that is with a straight streamer. If a trough develops then i think all areas will be at risk. Isnt the wind profile meant to veer more to an easterly later in the weekend? It starts more NE'erly, then switches if im not mistaken...

Posted

Snowing again and pretty heavily in Dover now... looks like we are creeping towards 5" even in the valley... God Knows what it's like up on the hills... Say Whitfield :unsure:

Snow doesn't look like it will ease for a while yet either.

Edited by Updraft

Posted

So that word I hate 'marginal' will come into play at the weekend. Shock horror. Not expecting much here then. Dammit!

Posted

Hey, im new here as well, i done a few posts many pages back now but no one noticed me :unsure:

Anyway Im from Grays in Thurrock and have been reading this site for a very long time and just managed to post at last, it's been a very exciting couple of days, but i don't really have much snow to show for it.hoping for something better soon. this site is great, so much info.

chilli XX

Welcome Chilli. Enjoy::)

Edited by hobbielancie

chilli XX

Posted

Yeah we've had a few very light snow pellet-esque showers over the last hour or so, nothing very exciting yet. Look East just showed snow over us from tomorrow morning all the way through till dusk!! OMG if that comes off!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

Clear skies have arrived.

Temperature is dropping by 0.2C a minute. Down from 1C at 22.00 to -4C at 22:38

good to see how low we go tonight, make a stab at -7C, the coldest so far here has been -6.5C, google earth says its -12C currently in ayelsbury but that must be a glich because a town near it says -1C. too so confusing!

Posted

chilli XX

Hi Chilli Sorry we all missed your post :)

Welcome....Is Chilli hot or cold? :) Sorry had to get that in.

As you are probably aware there is a good few people on here from you neck of the woods.

Again Welcome to very busy site.

Posted

good to see how low we go tonight, make a stab at -7C, the coldest so far here has been -6.5C, google earth says its -12C currently in ayelsbury but that must be a glich because a town near it says -1C. too so confusing!

almost at -5!

Posted

hi all have a look at this!!! me n the wife just couldnt wait till the morning.

post-9214-12628173182552_thumb.jpgpost-9214-12628173728752_thumb.jpgpost-9214-12628174092052_thumb.jpg

Fab! looks like an abominable snowman from a wallace and grommit movie :blush:

Posted

this is my last post for the weather here tonight ,damn cold i say

Current data for Linslade

06 January 2010 22:45:32

Temperature (°C):

Current -4.7

Trend (per hour) -0.4

Average today -1.2

Wind chill -8.5

Humidex -8.2

Dew Point -6.7

Rel Humidity 86%

Wind (mph):

Current Gust 9.8 WNW

Average Speed 5.4 NW

Rainfall (mm):

Current rate 0.0

Last hour 0.0

Total today 0.9

Total yesterday 0.0

Total this month 4.5

Total this year 4.5

Pressure (mb):

Current 1008.6

Trend (per hour) +0.2

Posted

Wot, around the waist.?? lol

Alas an inch to my waist as well as the snow depth! :blush:

We had not far short of 24 hrs snowfall here in Reigate, started last night at about 8:45 pm and eventually petered out at around 6:30 pm today. 18.5 cm of fluffy snow and all now freezing hard. Local salt/grit bin was, of couse, empty, so was reduced to throwing dishwaher salt on the steps up to our place. Must be getting old, but at least I tried to melt only a small bit of snow and even then only with a very heavy heart. New puppy went more bonkers than usual at the snow, it being well above his head height. Will have to bring him back inside eventually I suppose. The children also very excited. All I need to do now, so as to give them the authentic 70s snow eperience, is to arrange for some power cuts, fuel shortages, strikes, ice on the inside of their bedroom windows and snapping frozen washing left hanging on the line in the garden. Anyone else remember that? I wore shorts to school for ages as a result of my long trousers shearing off in early 1979, and stil carry the scars.

AS

I know - the snow here in Reigate has been nothing short of brilliant... Unluckily I had work today but it's only in town so I walked in over Priory Park which was magnificent this morning... someone had also built a 7 foor snow penis as well!!

Edited by Great Plum

Posted

There is alot of showers around north cambs,west norfolk and east linconshire was this for now or later in the night when the low moves in.