Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South Central England Cold Spell Discussion:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

lets not be downbeat just yet as horsecalledman says there is something building over in france its all swirling round,

this maybe what the met o warning is inline with.

im a little confused on weather online there is a clump of pnn moving our direction its around 1-2 2-4 mm per hour,

but as it moves closer its losing pnn strength most likely because of the downs,

if it was a direct easterly like it was a few hours ago then it would have been better.

but right now it seems to fizzle before it gets here although theres fair bit of cloud cover moving in it just getting the pnn to us.

http://www.weatheron...=&L=0&SLP=0&W=0

its horrible waiting but who knows something may crop up drinks.gif

i see few specks of purple in there its picked up a little and it is heading for us just.crazy.gif

Thank you - still a bit of a novice but learning all the time! To be honest I've been delighted with what we've had so far particularly as poor old Dorset didn't get it this week as it moved our way instead. Anything extra will be a bonus (although I don't fancy sitting on the A3 for hours like I did the other night lol!!)

Posted

lets not be downbeat just yet as horsecalledman says there is something building over in france its all swirling round,

this maybe what the met o warning is inline with.

im a little confused on weather online there is a clump of pnn moving our direction its around 1-2 2-4 mm per hour,

but as it moves closer its losing pnn strength most likely because of the downs,

if it was a direct easterly like it was a few hours ago then it would have been better.

but right now it seems to fizzle before it gets here although theres fair bit of cloud cover moving in it just getting the pnn to us.

http://www.weatheron...=&L=0&SLP=0&W=0

its horrible waiting but who knows something may crop up drinks.gif

i see few specks of purple in there its picked up a little and it is heading for us just.crazy.gif

the waiting is horrible! each radar update is stressfull! why do we do it? to my untrained eye, the southern extent of the first band looks to have developed a bit. This is exciting stuff. Maybe i should go away for an hour and watch "wolfie" in the darts?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Was thinking the same thing although the tv's busy with 'Sharpe' rather than darts! My favourite to watch is Ted Hankey - gets so grumpy lol!

Posted

Was thinking the same thing although the tv's busy with 'Sharpe' rather than darts! My favourite to watch is Ted Hankey - gets so grumpy lol!

while Sharpe is undoubtedly good, i don't think it beats "wolfie" in full flow. I met him on the Pompey to Ryde ferry once. My claim to fame.

I've just replayed the last few hours on the radar and i'm now convinced that, while it's not massively heavy, the precip is developing in extent, both in the first band and the second. No doubt i'll proved totally wrong in an hour's time - it wouldn't be the first time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

the waiting is horrible! each radar update is stressfull! why do we do it? to my untrained eye, the southern extent of the first band looks to have developed a bit. This is exciting stuff. Maybe i should go away for an hour and watch "wolfie" in the darts?

we do it because we are fanatics of the weather extreme weather has always been my thing.

i notice the model thread the gfs 12z has backtracked again is tonights models going to be intresting i hope so.

and slb im so happy i look out the window or go for a walk or should i say slide and its just wow its lovely i love it:air_kiss:

Posted

i am still holding out for tonight. the clump in kent seems to be failing us somewhat, HOWEVER keep a keen eye on developments over france. following the meto info, sat images etc, it is building and developing. remember even light rain results in more snow. shame we are having to rely on infra red images now which arent as clear though

Posted

Very light snow in Horndean (had to strain eyes to see it under lampost but definitely there)

Badboy - when I eventually got off the A3 (mum and dad walked down with tea and biscuits for everyone bless em) we went back out walking in it for about an hour. Dad stayed until 11 helping push cars off the motorway. A bit scary at the time but memory will stay forever! biggrin.gif

Posted

we do it because we are fanatics of the weather extreme weather has always been my thing.

i notice the model thread the gfs 12z has backtracked again is tonights models going to be intresting i hope so.

and slb im so happy i look out the window or go for a walk or should i say slide and its just wow its lovely i love it:air_kiss:

yep, the lows are way further south, which although reduces the initial threat of snow it does prolong the cold. Just one run obviously, UKMO and ECMF will be worth a look.

as you say, it is absolutely glorious out, it really is. Biting cold, snow cover with the threat of more. Top stuff.

Posted

Can confirm it is indeed snowing now in Southsea! drinks.gif

Latest BBC forecast has pepped up the chance of snow for our area overnight & tomorrow now too! With the whole of the region snowing from around 7pm!

Posted

right the new meto radar is in and im now fairly excited. the new image coupled with a snow report in portsmouth nearly pushed me over the edge lol. a finger of precip has grown out of nowhere. see what you think... http://www.metoffice...ather/uk/radar/

yep, and also, the amount of precip behind it is growing in extent if not intensity.....yet....

Posted

It's got faster now. Still light flakes but lots of them if you know what I mean! A bit like it was on Wednesday afternoon/evening smile.gif

Posted

It's got faster now. Still light flakes but lots of them if you know what I mean! A bit like it was on Wednesday afternoon/evening smile.gif

just popped outside and i can confirm that light snow is falling here now, too.

Posted

Very light snow in Horndean (had to strain eyes to see it under lampost but definitely there)

Badboy - when I eventually got off the A3 (mum and dad walked down with tea and biscuits for everyone bless em) we went back out walking in it for about an hour. Dad stayed until 11 helping push cars off the motorway. A bit scary at the time but memory will stay forever! biggrin.gif

absolutely been doing my bit for the older people.

its certainly a massive event its also good because it shows how united people can be and how much gw is something to keep an eye on.

im in the opion that gw is not as much of a treat as a ice age we are in a solar minimum ive been tracking sun activity for 6 years now and trust me the sun is at its lowest in years even now theres more activity than in the last couple of years but its still well below,

if two winters in a row show a cooling trend regardless of how warm the rest of the year was its telling us something,

i might be jumping the gun and i could end up wrong but if this year the sun woke in a dramatic way next winter could still be cold but the winter after is likely to be milder,

but if it continued at its current trend then id expect more winter like this if not worse,

it sounds very scary but instead of the country expecting the uk to be warm every winter it makes sense to always look at both sides of the fence i.e cooling climate.

i could be wrong but i think if next winter the sun still in the minimum and next winter is cold again id really start to ask questions.

i know this is has nothing to do with this forum sorry to waffle on lol.

but its good to here families pulling together and helping others because in the future this will help in extreme climate.

i love the snow and have always wanted to treck the north and south poles.

and its snow lightly here lol:drinks:

edit:went outside its very sleety infact i dont want to reck the moment but its thawing the snow.B)

Edited by badboy657

Posted

Nothing to be sorry for! This thread is quiet at the best of times so it's good to see it busier! People have been much nicer in this weather and everyone talks to one another!!! We got some shopping in for our neighbour and he popped round with a bottle of wine so if it carries on snowing I'll be opening that later! drinks.gif

Yep light snow here as well for the last 10 mins. Here we go?

L

Hi, hope so! Apart from the south east though I think the general consenus is light snow but persistent?

badboy - temperatures might drop as we go on further into the night - remember Tuesday and the rain??? lol

Posted

Nothing to be sorry for! This thread is quiet at the best of times so it's good to see it busier! People have been much nicer in this weather and everyone talks to one another!!! We got some shopping in for our neighbour and he popped round with a bottle of wine so if it carries on snowing I'll be opening that later! drinks.gif

Hi, hope so! Apart from the south east though I think the general consenus is light snow but persistent?

badboy - temperatures might drop as we go on further into the night - remember Tuesday and the rain??? lol

its hard to tell whether is very fine snow or sleet i thought it was thawing the snow maybe im losing the plot lol.

and yeah you girl crack open that wine nice warm home with some munches with snowfalling outside what more can you ask for lol.

i always say the good get rewarded.

anyway you must excuse my terrible typing skills and english lol.

:acute:

Posted

Not sleety at all here? Find it hard to believe it could be further inland in Leigh park??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Snow in central Southampton - very fine grains atm.

Posted

nah its deffo really fine snow flakes here with the occasional bigger flake

Edited by coxxy22

Posted

Excellent way of describing it stormforce!

Badboy - no more apologies needed lol!! I've just been looking at the model thread but must admit that I don't understand much of it. Saw that you posted something, would you mind explaining it a bit if you've got time? No worries if not. drinks.gif