Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Think I got my hopes up prematurely.

Showers are still struggling to make it to Northants and they keep missing us anyway, should get better later though.

Posted

Where's this band of snow showers the BBC forecasted getting as far as North/East Wales around this time...i can't see them

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Morning all...A distinctly chilly -11.1C there atm :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Where's this band of snow showers the BBC forecasted getting as far as North/East Wales around this time...i can't see them

completely missed them, maybe a few tonight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Min overnight temp of -4c and currently -3c.

Has the period of snow been downgraded for sunday it doesn't appear as potent on the charts that I have been looking at.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Wow slightly chilly in Scotland! :cold:

Posted

BBC showed Sunday's snow as only just clipping the south west of England, which is crazy how it can change that much overnight.

Still some time to go yet but it is worrying.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

BBC showed Sunday's snow as only just clipping the south west of England, which is crazy how it can change that much overnight.

Still some time to go yet but it is worrying.

Also what i find annoying is the fact that she talked about persistant snow for england and wales , which will stick she said , but the charts tell a different story . I think them charts are pathetic to be honest they change every three hours . Sundays game on and by tonight that will be verified .rolleyes.gif

Posted

Hmmm love to be in Northern England right now has anybody seen the 8am radar ... It is showning white meaning DOWNPOOR . Somebody must have a blizzard and a half .

Posted

First, good morning all you midlanders :)

Secondly, no worries for Sunday as of yet. Perhaps a slight change of the diretion of introduction of the ppn, but overall, we end up with a similar effect.

I was also going to post last night (and in reference to Conors post), but was in bed (and the Mrs would not have been happy for me to go downstairs to make a post).

For anyone that watched the BBC Midlands Weather and (just a few minutes later) the BBC National Weather, must surely have had a Harry Hill TV Burp "FIGHT :) " moment. Local weather was going for snow, yet the national weather showed it missing here. Perhaps the national weather forecast was more up to date, but either way, it beat the local weather forecast hands down.

No snow here.

Also, for those looking at the charts. Never (like I did) forget to look at the ensembles T2M tables. Seriously, bar 2-3 days at about 1oC, max temps are looking at no more than 0oC until next weekend, with some back up from the ECM ensembles.

It looks like, forgetting the snow, it will remain chilly.

Also what i find annoying is the fact that she talked about persistant snow for england and wales , which will stick she said , but the charts tell a different story . I think them charts are pathetic to be honest they change every three hours . Sundays game on and by tonight that will be verified .rolleyes.gif

Look at the charts as a guide. <T+48 is the best indication, with <T+24 really beign the time to watch.

My personal opinion, for the later, is to watch the BBC national forecasts, and view the UKMO charts as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

those bbc maps are useless thankfully shows it as rain in far SW, watch midlands today weather video on website, he says snow 2-5 cm's, and the midnight sat in to sun chart has the snow moving in

Posted

First, good morning all you midlanders :)

Secondly, no worries for Sunday as of yet. Perhaps a slight change of the diretion of introduction of the ppn, but overall, we end up with a similar effect.

I was also going to post last night (and in reference to Conors post), but was in bed (and the Mrs would not have been happy for me to go downstairs to make a post).

For anyone that watched the BBC Midlands Weather and (just a few minutes later) the BBC National Weather, must surely have had a Harry Hill TV Burp "FIGHT :) " moment. Local weather was going for snow, yet the national weather showed it missing here. Perhaps the national weather forecast was more up to date, but either way, it beat the local weather forecast hands down.

No snow here.

I went back through the radar for the over night period , and The showers never made it very far inland at all , unyet the National forecasts had them reaching the heart of Wales. Goes to show even the NAE can be wrong and all we can do in this situation is radar watch.

Posted

Hi Chris.

The BBC national forecast had no showers over here from the 22.00 news.

I've always found the ITV and Sky TV forecasts to be, whilst good most of the time, not as accurate as the BBC.

Posted

Hi Chris.

The BBC national forecast had no showers over here from the 22.00 news.

I've always found the ITV and Sky TV forecasts to be, whilst good most of the time, not as accurate as the BBC.

The last BBC forecast I seen yesterday was at work and on there website which was done at 15.41pm . They obviously changed later in the day , but it does go to show how forecasts can change so much within hours of an event.

Posted

The constant stream of showers piling in of the north sea may see some reaching a bit further inland over the next few hours possibly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

snowing moderately here from one of the east coast showers temp -3.1c and dewpoint -5.1c

Posted

Also, for those looking at the charts. Never (like I did) forget to look at the ensembles T2M tables. Seriously, bar 2-3 days at about 1oC, max temps are looking at no more than 0oC until next weekend, with some back up from the ECM ensembles.

It looks like, forgetting the snow, it will remain chilly.

Have you not been in the model thread this morning? Good agreement between most that the cold period is coming to an end around Wednesday/Thursday next week.

Posted

The constant stream of showers piling in of the north sea may see some reaching a bit further inland over the next few hours possibly.

it just aint gonna happen. my guess is that they are just gonna fizzle out!acute.gif

Edited by loopydreamer

Posted

Have you not been in the model thread this morning? Good agreement between most that the cold period is coming to an end around Wednesday/Thursday next week.

Well that can't be too right on the news it says atleast 10 days left of this so i doubt that.

Edited by lesta_snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

MINUS 14.6C was recorded at my weather station at Evesham @2.30 this morning, making it the coldest temperature since 1982! It must be cold the river Avon and Isbourne have ice over some stretches!! :yahoo::)

Posted

I've been in there Strider, and posted as well :yahoo:

Have a look for my posts for my thoughts (you can do this by clicking on my name), but also have a look at posts from the forecasters as well. They have far much more superior knowledge than me.

But basically, we do lose some of the colder uppers, but on the ground, things look positive (using GEFS and ECM ensembles) to remain around 0oC (max temps) until next weekend (at least for Derbyshire :) ).

I was on one yesterday, as I didn't look at the T2M ensembles, and just went on the upper temps. I was wrong (pointed out by Nick F from the team), and would suggest this is exactly what people are doing this morning.

But i've reverted from my sins :)

Posted

This is true , but it is looking very likely that the mild air won't win at the first attempt . All it is going to do is cause a crazy amount of Snow for many areas . After this the Ensembles are trending Cold again until at least the 19th , but many extend the Cold right out until the end of the run.