Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)

That is a trough but I don't think it's the one which is expected to give showers through Northern England/Midlands.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

It's prob that trough forming in the north east over sea right now!

Thats not it, the trough is forming overnight tonight around the wash area and pushing showers inland.

brack0.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

That is a trough but I don't think it's the one which is expected to give showers through Northern England/Midlands.

the stoke game is off

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

cold.gif just got back from the post office and had a light flurry shower. Best I've had for a week now lol!! More clouds about now, but nuthin on radar..

I have a question- when they say heavy snow, does that mean lots of snow in the sky, like loads of flakes but they can be small, or soes it mean dinner plate flakes as in they are "heavy"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

About ten flakes of snow there... Almost an average snow shower here! Nothing else coming...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

unsure.gif Are you me? I've just done exactly the same, and having some light snow too.

LOL!!! no way-thats too funny!!! laugh.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Unless they're busy updating still, the Met Office have now removed the snow warning for the whole of the Midlands (everywhere apart from the South-East and East Anglia in fact) for Sunday. :rolleyes:

I have a question- when they say heavy snow, does that mean lots of snow in the sky, like loads of flakes but they can be small, or soes it mean dinner plate flakes as in they are "heavy"

The former, in the same way that heavy rain doesn't feature dinner plate-sized raindrops! :lol:

Posted

Oooh, are you unpacking something, SB? :crazy:

Now you come to mention it....

Just speaking to someone in Oslo now, and his temperature when he left his house this morning was -32oC :D

Posted

Now you come to mention it....

Just speaking to someone in Oslo now, and his temperature when he left his house this morning was -32oC blink.gif

hahaha!! thats funny cuz I just finished watching the BBC news and weather, and they just said that the -22C that was recorded was lower than Finland and Norway lol!! I guess not!

Qutie depressing downgrade for good ol' Notts and the like, as the strong easterlies they were predicting to bring in the "snow showers" is now only from E. Anglia southwards, where the south will now get even MORE snow. Sunday looks w*nk as well now, so it seems to be going all t*ts up AGAIN. doh.gif

Unless they're busy updating still, the Met Office have now removed the snow warning for the whole of the Midlands (everywhere apart from the South-East and East Anglia in fact) for Sunday. unsure.gif

The former, in the same way that heavy rain doesn't feature dinner plate-sized raindrops! smile.gif

I figured that, it being the former, but just wanted to dbl-check blush.gif

Posted

hahaha!! thats funny cuz I just finished watching the BBC news and weather, and they just said that the -22C that was recorded was lower than Finland and Norway lol!! I guess not!

Qutie depressing downgrade for good ol' Notts and the like, as the strong easterlies they were predicting to bring in the "snow showers" is now only from E. Anglia southwards, where the south will now get even MORE snow. Sunday looks w*nk as well now, so it seems to be going all t*ts up AGAIN. doh.gif

Just keep an eye on the warnings...I would expect these to change/amend.

Regarding temps, the guy I was speaking to also said about 400km north of Oslo recorded -45oC, and i've heard a similar figure for somewhere in North Sweden.

Posted

Sunday won't go t*ts up trust me. There is too much potential for snow showers and longer periods of snow here on Sunday. The whole of the East and West Midlands should see something. The wind direction is just too favourable for nothing to happen.

Posted

+sigh+ I hope you're right cray.gif On the model thread they are talking about a possibility of a mild Feb! (as tears stream down my face at the prospect of this being it for winter)

If the UK had winter like this on average, i wouldnt mind so much, but this seems to be an event that happens once every 20 years, and with all this talk of global warming (God I cant WAIT for the gulf stream to shut down) I'm so scared that this is my last chance for good ol' American style snow for me. I miss have feet of snow. If this was normal for us I would be like, "ah- well, there's always next winter" but its not like that. I hope Feb isnt warm. Even though my house downstairs wont get any warmer than 14C, I love this cold weather cuz its extreme. I LOVE extreme weather!!!! laugh.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow - or HOT

hhhmmmm warnings still there for east mids but all gone for west mids now. Met O saying Wales and South West stand most chance of snow Sunday onwards :-(

Posted

+sigh+ I hope you're right cray.gif On the model thread they are talking about a possibility of a mild Feb! (as tears stream down my face at the prospect of this being it for winter)

If the UK had winter like this on average, i wouldnt mind so much, but this seems to be an event that happens once every 20 years, and with all this talk of global warming (God I cant WAIT for the gulf stream to shut down) I'm so scared that this is my last chance for good ol' American style snow for me. I miss have feet of snow. If this was normal for us I would be like, "ah- well, there's always next winter" but its not like that. I hope Feb isnt warm. Even though my house downstairs wont get any warmer than 14C, I love this cold weather cuz its extreme. I LOVE extreme weather!!!! laugh.gif

If it makes you feel better... I reckon Nottingham will see some snow showers later from that lot over East Yorkshire at the moment. Don't hold me to that though :(

Posted

Looks like they don't expect the front to push as far North as previously thought for this Sunday/Monday.

Posted

That in itself is a good thing because, it means the metoffice are now thinking that the low will be further south, this means, looking at the charts, that we have a better chance of hanging onto the cold for longer.

Other snow events will turn up, or maybe even the meto will update the warnings nearer the time like they did with the last snowfall.