Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Have you not been in the model thread this morning? Good agreement between most that the cold period is coming to an end around Wednesday/Thursday next week.

Snow stopped.

Yes I had a look at the model thread briefly this morning and the evidence does look pretty compelling. However, as one who has seen a few old school winters, of which this is most certainly one, the cold will retain it's grip and surprise everyone. Back in the day, once the cold was established as it now is, it usually meant that it was set to the end of January at least.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

-10 at 8.30 AM in Shrewsbury town center... crazy cold... god knows what it got down to last night.. I really should get a weather station of some kind

Posted

-10 at 8.30 AM in Shrewsbury town center... crazy cold... god knows what it got down to last night.. I really should get a weather station of some kind

Makes me wonder just how cold it needs to get to freeze the river! I've got photos of people skating on the river by Kingsland Bridge!!

Posted

Snow stopped.

Yes I had a look at the model thread briefly this morning and the evidence does look pretty compelling. However, as one who has seen a few old school winters, of which this is most certainly one, the cold will retain it's grip and surprise everyone. Back in the day, once the cold was established as it now is, it usually meant that it was set to the end of January at least.

Agree 100% there jimben, I'm also a veteran of some of the old school winters and like you said the cold will not give up without a fight.

Posted

has the severn started to freeze at all yet salopwatcher .....I'll never forget the river severn froze over at Greyfriars Bridge in Coleham ..the rivers very deep there and very slow moving ....must have been 79 or 81-2..great sight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Just got back from the dentist, OUCH lol.

Was snowing lightly in Leicester city centre about half an hour ago, looks like we may see a few more showers from the East through today :)

Posted

the 06z looking very good for heavier snow sun/mon, got a feeling of saying told you so to all those complaining the gfs was only showing light precip. Always does at long range -48 hours its gets a better grip on where and hw heavy. Showers not looking bad this afternoon although leicester city center maybe as far west as anything worth havein gets.

Edited by SnowTornado

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

I'm a bit confused by the netweather alert.

Where are the showers coming from for the West Midlands?

Posted

I'm a bit confused by the netweather alert.

Where are the showers coming from for the West Midlands?

First batch are from NN/E from the wash, then the winds turn slightly more northerly later in the day and we get some from 'oop north'

Posted

First batch are from NN/E from the wash, then the winds turn slightly more northerly later in the day and we get some from 'oop north'

I'm not sure about the batch near the Wash. They are dying out as they hit Leicester and not making it any further inland, I highly doubt they will reach West Midlands.

Posted

I'm not sure about the batch near the Wash. They are dying out as they hit Leicester and not making it any further inland, I highly doubt they will reach West Midlands.

Aww that's a shame :)

How are you today my chum Andy? are you getting anything from these showers before your powerful snowsheild 'exterminates' them? :drinks:

Posted

Just got back from the dentist, OUCH lol.

Was snowing lightly in Leicester city centre about half an hour ago, looks like we may see a few more showers from the East through today :drinks:

LOL ... You went through with it then . I have a wierd thing happening here right now , Just turned the heating up full because my daughters hands were cold and it cases steam to pour out the extractor into the garden . This steam is rising into the air and falling back down as snow grains , I have never seen that before ever.

Posted

Aww that's a shame :)

How are you today my chum Andy? are you getting anything from these showers before your powerful snowsheild 'exterminates' them? :drinks:

Haha, i'm ok, I have just had a tooth pulled out and my mouth is full of blood, I feel like I should be in a horror film :) This is gunna hurt later when the numbness goes away I know it!

Well when I was in town walking to the bus stop after dentist at about 9:45 it was snowing lightly and the sun was out. On the way back on the bus there was some flurries in my area too. On the radar it looks like a shower may just reach me in a minute before completely dying, probably 5 mins of flurries again, better than nothing though :)

Posted

Haha, i'm ok, I have just had a tooth pulled out and my mouth is full of blood, I feel like I should be in a horror film :) This is gunna hurt later when the numbness goes away I know it!

Well when I was in town walking to the bus stop after dentist at about 9:45 it was snowing lightly and the sun was out. On the way back on the bus there was some flurries in my area too. On the radar it looks like a shower may just reach me in a minute before completely dying, probably 5 mins of flurries again, better than nothing though :)

Yeah better than a kick in the teeth ay?? ....oops! :pardon:

Posted

Is it me or is the Radar playing up today???

Northampton has got very cloudy (sky looks full of it ) no precip around us and light snow just started.

Edited by Lancs_Northants

Posted

Yeah better than a kick in the teeth ay?? ....oops! :pardon:

:) Nice one :)

Snowing here too now, but the radar suggests it should be so it's accurate for me at least.

The LE3 snow sheild has broken down again :):)

Posted

Snowing here too now, but the radar suggests it should be so it's accurate for me at least.

The LE3 snow sheild has broken down again :):pardon:

Don't know how it's snowing here the nearest cloud is about 4 miles away??

Posted

The LE3 snow sheild has broken down again :):pardon:

wonder if it will make it this far

Posted

Snowing here again , and the way things look at the moment , Leicester could be heading for a day of frequent Snow Showers where Nottingham who is in the warning area may miss out. I'm happy :pardon:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

the snow isn't getting to stoke yet

Posted

Snowing here again , and the way things look at the moment , Leicester could be heading for a day of frequent Snow Showers where Nottingham who is in the warning area may miss out. I'm happy :)

Funnily enough, I'm not. :nonono::cray:

Posted

the odd flake here now, sun still shining though

to the east of leics the showers arent really losing intensity at all.

Posted

Funnily enough, I'm not. :nonono::cray:

I'm sure you will get something later , but winds have turned more NE quicker than forecast and it looks like a wash streamer may be developing which will being Snow to Leicester all day , I know my area in this situation and as the day progresses more and more showers will pile in .