Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Just had a light snow shower, no covering though. Temperature up to 0.6C too.

Posted

Saturday eveing looks very interesting for central/southern Ireland, the models suggestive of probably 3-5cms however the frontal system is developing as it crosses Ireland so places in the east may see a little more.

The only slight issue is to do with timings, if it arrives during the midday it'll make things somewhat marginal. The NMM reflects this very nicely with it being a rain/sleet/snow mix depending on how heavy the precip is for western parts, however by the time it reaches the east its mainl a snow event. A few hours later would make a big difference to places that end up with settling snow or just a wet floor so to speak.

Still this is one area that I'll be watching tomorrow night once I get back from footie, track it across Ireland.

Posted

Very cold and dry this morning.

Sundays snowfest has of course gone south into the ROI. Any heavy snow for me no shown for Wednesday, with a 35cm blizzard, will be interesting to see if this tracks south also nearer the time.

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

Sundays snowfest has of course gone south into the ROI. Any heavy snow for me no shown for Wednesday, with a 35cm blizzard, will be interesting to see if this tracks south also nearer the time.

yes ive got that aswell and it is now telling me that i will have ice days from wednesday i wonder if we could just budge one today as it would be lovely to get a couple of cms from these hefty daytime showers as they dnt really last long at night..

Posted

yes ive got that aswell and it is now telling me that i will have ice days from wednesday i wonder if we could just budge one today as it would be lovely to get a couple of cms from these hefty daytime showers as they dnt really last long at night..

Something good looks like heading your way off the north west coast right now.

Posted

Clear skies, calm air and 3.0C here now, overnight low of -1.9C.

Shall be close as to which side of marginal I'm on this afternoon, though I generally fare quite well in these situations. Fingers crossed!

Posted

Amazingly it's 6.9C here at the moment. Temperature has risen by 2C in the last 20 minutes with humidity dropping to around 75% from 89%. Quite bizarre. Would have initially thought fohn effect with mountains to my north, south and south east but the wind is varying between westerly and south westerly so that can't really be it.... any ideas!?

Hard to believe sleet and snow showers are forecast for the next few hours!

Posted

Saturday eveing looks very interesting for central/southern Ireland, the models suggestive of probably 3-5cms however the frontal system is developing as it crosses Ireland so places in the east may see a little more.

The only slight issue is to do with timings, if it arrives during the midday it'll make things somewhat marginal. The NMM reflects this very nicely with it being a rain/sleet/snow mix depending on how heavy the precip is for western parts, however by the time it reaches the east its mainl a snow event. A few hours later would make a big difference to places that end up with settling snow or just a wet floor so to speak.

Still this is one area that I'll be watching tomorrow night once I get back from footie, track it across Ireland.

I am watching it closely myself KW. As you say it is developing right now. Snow has already been reported in parts of the West. I don't think there will be much difficulty with it not being snow after dark. I think a few cm's are probrably likely but having said that it's nothing compared to what the ECM has forecast for Ireland from Tuesday evening! :D

Posted

I am watching it closely myself KW. As you say it is developing right now. Snow has already been reported in parts of the West. I don't think there will be much difficulty with it not being snow after dark. I think a few cm's are probrably likely but having said that it's nothing compared to what the ECM has forecast for Ireland from Tuesday evening! :D

lets see what happens. The slower the ppt reaches us the better. Way too warm at the minute. 5 degrees here at the moment, but that should begin to drop off as the sun goes down.

Posted

The met office has a watch warning out for Wednesday. Though precip prob miss the North yet again lol.

Edited by shrike

Posted

Temperature is dropping away finally, down to 5.7C now. Some precipitation just to my north and west now. Not sure what it is, though will probably know soon enough!

The Galtees just a few miles to my north have just gotten a light covering of snow down to almost its base. So that's one near miss!

Edited by NaDamantaSam

Posted

Light sleet at the moment. Temperature 4.6C and slowly falling. Dew point 1.7C.

Posted

The sleet got a little heavier for a few minutes though it's still mostly rain. Temperature dropping a bit quicker now 3.8C, though the dew point is only 1.1C so still a way to go...

Doubt I'll get to -6C without the snow cover LG. Going back to Cork later this evening away so I wont know anyway!

Edited by NaDamantaSam

Posted

The met office has a watch warning out for Wednesday. Though precip prob miss the North yet again lol.

yes and there is little point in the snow coming down south it shouldve came here as temps are barely above freezing in the day and it will stick and down there they are up at 6-7c in the day and that will surely melt the snow! ... met uk have 15cm warning.. then i seen nw and it had that but now its downgraded to nothing typical!!!!!diablo.gifdiablo.gifdiablo.gif

Posted

yes and there is little point in the snow coming down south it shouldve came here as temps are barely above freezing in the day and it will stick and down there they are up at 6-7c in the day and that will surely melt the snow! ... met uk have 15cm warning.. then i seen nw and it had that but now its downgraded to nothing typical!!!!!diablo.gifdiablo.gifdiablo.gif

I'm coming to colreaine in 2 weeks time frosty! family wedding, any good bars around coleraine

Sorry, i know nothing about coleraine, just that my granparents left there in the 50's and moved to bolton.

Grandad was a Linfield fan ( god knows why considering he was from coleraine) and went week in week out.

Me, i look out for glentoran whistling.gif

Posted

Temp down to 3.4C now with the DP mysteriously on the rise, now at 1.4C. Sleet has all but stopped and there are some very dark clouds overhead.

Posted

NaD...

where are you getting the dew point reading from? your own weather station? I dont know what my dew point is.

This is all so marginal isnt it!!!

Posted

NaD...

where are you getting the dew point reading from? your own weather station? I dont know what my dew point is.

This is all so marginal isnt it!!!

Yup. My own weather station outside the house.

Now 2.7C, DP 0.8C and the sleet is getting heavier slowly turning more snowy. The ground has already been soaked though so it's unlikely any will build up.

Actually, it seem like some kinda soft hail falling now... I dunno, it's not snow anyway!

You can use a converter to work out your dew point if you have your temperature and humidity. Here's one http://www.cactus2000.de/uk/unit/masshum.shtml

Posted

I'm coming to colreaine in 2 weeks time frosty! family wedding, any good bars around coleraine

Sorry, i know nothing about coleraine, just that my granparents left there in the 50's and moved to bolton.

Grandad was a Linfield fan ( god knows why considering he was from coleraine) and went week in week out.

Me, i look out for glentoran whistling.gif

Simply because he had sense, haha!

BBC forecasts are showing snow coming into the east of NI for tonight and tomorrow morning. Would be nice to see an end to this snow drought.

Posted

NaD...thanks a million for that...my dew point is 0.23 so very very close.

Temp now needs to get down to the precious 2 degrees!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

had a heavy snow shower half an hour ago. it settled very easily as the ground is so cold here. max temp today 3.1c, currently 0.1c and everything is frozen over.

Posted

NaD...thanks a million for that...my dew point is 0.23 so very very close.

Temp now needs to get down to the precious 2 degrees!!

No worries!

Back in Cork now so my chances of seeing snow for the next day or 2 have all but vanished! Was down to 1.6C just before I left with the DP at 0.1C so anything else that falls will be snow back there at least...

Posted

WOW .

Snowstorm Dublin city centre did start off as rain but then changed to snow .massive giant flakes been snowing for one hour.settling on the wet ground.god only know what it would of been like if it had not rained before.

What a winter