Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Lol, this thread has been all but abandonedlaugh.gif

Also frosty here at -1.8C.

I know the weather in Ireland at the moment is probably as tedious as it is here but watch this space - next week looks excellent for Ireland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

the weather is beautiful here. gloriously sunny skies.

very cold and very frosty

outside temp -6.2c

overnight min -7.6c

overnight max -1.9c :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Lovely winter morning here, had some frost early.

Currently 2.3c

Looking interesting next week, a NWsterly progressivly turning Northerly and some fronts to contend with aswell.

Not that we need more snow as if you take a look at my stats from January 1st to today (in my sig), it has been an incredible wintry start to 2010 and certainly a record in my lifetime.

Posted

Lovely winter morning here, had some frost early.

Currently 2.3c

Looking interesting next week, a NWsterly progressivly turning Northerly and some fronts to contend with aswell.

Not that we need more snow as if you take a look at my stats from January 1st to today (in my sig), it has been an incredible wintry start to 2010 and certainly a record in my lifetime.

Surely not in terms of snow amounts though? I have had no more than 7cm for the WHOLE winter, that is the worst I can recall in my memory for any winter (although I lived in Scotland for most of it).

As for next week, I think only a 10% chance of lying snow at low levels during the day with very marginal uppers. Even today with upper of what -6oC we are getting surface temps of 7oC. Big daily ranges as well. Castederg down to -7oC last night, up to 7 today, a 14oC difference in under 8 hours.

When the west based -NAO was first spotted on the models, we were the best placed to get hammered, now with the trough expected over us with its mild sectors, very little chance of lowland snow in my opinion. Less marginal situations than this have produced only sleet rain. A couple of weeks back I had rain with Uppers of -6oC, surface temps of +1.5oC and dew point of -0.5oC, and this coming spell is even more marginal.

No, not going to get my hopes up again, in what in my opinion has been a very poor winter for snowfall, however cold and dry it has been.

Posted

another very cold and frosty night. :drinks:

outside temp -1.9c outside humidity 86%

frost persisited in the shade today even though temps maxed out at 6.1c this afternoon.

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

Surely not in terms of snow amounts though? I have had no more than 7cm for the WHOLE winter, that is the worst I can recall in my memory for any winter (although I lived in Scotland for most of it).

As for next week, I think only a 10% chance of lying snow at low levels during the day with very marginal uppers. Even today with upper of what -6oC we are getting surface temps of 7oC. Big daily ranges as well. Castederg down to -7oC last night, up to 7 today, a 14oC difference in under 8 hours.

When the west based -NAO was first spotted on the models, we were the best placed to get hammered, now with the trough expected over us with its mild sectors, very little chance of lowland snow in my opinion. Less marginal situations than this have produced only sleet rain. A couple of weeks back I had rain with Uppers of -6oC, surface temps of +1.5oC and dew point of -0.5oC, and this coming spell is even more marginal.

No, not going to get my hopes up again, in what in my opinion has been a very poor winter for snowfall, however cold and dry it has been.

i agree i thought i would get an ice day with a min of -6.7c but when i had come back home it was 6c!! now surely how can that be a cold spell... anyway 0c here now and clear but cloud is coming i can see it... we couldve got another cold night... diablo.gifdiablo.gifdiablo.gifdiablo.gif is it possible the cloud wont rise the temp ...?? i wonder how england is managing to get oc maxes...

Edited by frostyjoe

Posted

I know the weather in Ireland at the moment is probably as tedious as it is here but watch this space - next week looks excellent for Ireland.

I don't know about that! The Irish met office are predicting rain (sleet for higher ground) for the northern half of the island early next week. There isn't even a hint of snow so far.

This current 'cold spell' is very much a damp squib from the perspective of Ireland at least.

I'll get my fix of snow skiing next week during mid-term anyway! :cc_confused:

Edited by fear sneachta

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

I beg to differ, I think inland areas have a good chance of seeing some snow next week, at least in the form of showers. The main reason surface temps in this cold spell of 4/5 days so far have been so high is because it is a weak affair, winds will strenghten when that LP starts to dive SSE, this will help drop those surface temps a bit and introduce a nice bitterly wind to the equation. There is alot of milder uppers in the mix, not terribly mild, but mild enough to make all the difference, but I think we will see a slight reduction in the milder mix in the next few days. We still have 6+ days to go....alot of changes to come.

In terms of my "memorable winter" remark, I can see your point, the accumulations have been dire - moderate, but in terms of days of lying snow, snow falling and frosts, its been a hell of alot better than most winters for a fair few years.

One of the bad things about colder shots as we approach mid-ebd of February is indeed we need a more potent blast to help compromise the incoming longer days and stronger sun....we are less likely to see consecutive days of lying snow for the rest of winter.

Posted

After another 24 hours model watching I remain convinced that their will be no low level snow out to Thursday. Despite being 'nearer' the cold air spilling into the atlantic than any other part of the uk, we are the only part of the uk without snow warning for next week.

Signs that we might start to pull in cold enough air by this time next week, but that is an eternity away.

Posted

another very cold night here.

overnight low of -3.4c with a severe frost. :D

-1c here and all the frost is melting in the stinking sun... i think im bounmd to get some snow tonight..

Edited by frostyjoe

Posted

-1c here and all the frost is melting in the stinking sun... i think im bounmd to get some snow tonight..

Lets hope so.

Annoying that we are currently sitting under both a deep upper rough and a surface low, with uppers of around -7oC and dew points below zero, however very little precipitation around. Hopefully as the trough sinks south we can generate some showers from irish sea convection.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

My parents tell me there was snow in S.Tipperary this morning. Of course, here in Cork, it's just cold and wet :)

Posted

plenty of snow reported in several counties this morning.

no snow here but another sub-zero night with a severe frost. :)

Edited by stormforce 10

Posted

Temp of +2.5oC. Dew point of +0.5oC. Sleet shower.

Sums up this winter for me really and the lack of precipitation around has me thinking very little chance of a decent snow fall for the foreseeable future.

Posted

Temp of +2.5oC. Dew point of +0.5oC. Sleet shower.

Sums up this winter for me really and the lack of precipitation around has me thinking very little chance of a decent snow fall for the foreseeable future.

Yes it has been awfull this year as we have got rotten nothing here at all really apart from 8 inches which accumulated over 3 weeks! was foggy upto 12.30 today when the temp was -0.5c but then it cleared up and now its sunny with a few hazy clouds.. lets hope it stays clear so we can get a nice crisp frosty night then any fog can come on in in the morning!

temp now is 2c after a max of 2.4c so not that warm but feels mild out there now in the sun.