Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Bit of a thaw going on this evening, snow seems to be dissapearing quite quickly although still a bit lying yet. Started raining about 15mins ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Raining here, haven't dropped beneath 3.4c yet.....definitely milder here haha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

The snow has gotten heavier in the last 2 hours, now got 14cm, with drifts around 20-25cm. Max today of just 0.1C, which it is at the moment.

Average max this month has been just 0.1C, with the average minimum being -6.9C! Seems this will be the lowest point, turning more average over the next few days for here at least.

Posted

Just had one of the more eventful weather moments of my life. Out for my smoke lashing with rain, stops for about 10 seconds and then comes back as snow and then rain. Maybe someone heard me that i 'don't do' sleet. Any snow lying here is dissappearing pretty quickly.

Posted

we have had moderate, sometimes heavy snow since 8am. just stopped now. temps slightly too high for it to accumulate but has left nearly an inch of wet snow. could briefly see some lower hills and they are completly white. anywhere over 150mts will be plastered as its snowed for 6 hours continuous. deffo a suprise snowfall as we had sleet with temps of +2.5 last nite.

Posted

Imagine how much snow we'd have gotten today in the Armagh/Louth area if what fell from the sky had of been snow :-(

Snow is such a marginal event, a few degree cooler and i'm sure we would have seen 20cm of laying snow. Ah well - there are 6 weeks of winter left.

Posted

temps down to 0c now and all remaining snow frozen solid. i reckon my local sliabh beagh hills should have 2 foot of level snow by now.wont have a chance to get up there until sunday so i hope there isnt much thaw. could have more snow tomorrow with a front moving up from the SW.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

all snow and ice thawing. -0.1c last night. currently 2.5c with gale force easterly winds and light rain. not gonna be a nice day.

Posted

we are getting very heavy falls of snow, atually blizzard like conditions with a gale force south easterly wind. outside temp 0.8c and falling. snow is starting to settle. :D

Edited by stormforce 10

Posted

we are getting very heavy falls of snow, atually blizzard like conditions with a gale force south easterly wind. outside temp 0.8c and falling. snow is starting to settle. :doh:

Hopefully a good sign for County Down later but after yesterdays let down I'll wait and see.

Yesterday gave me heavy sleet all day with temps of 1.5oC and a dew point of 0oC, tonight is forecast to be temps of 2oC and dew point around zero and with moderation of the air from the Irish Sea, it is doubtful. The only plus side is that their is no mild gunk mixed in the upper air like yesterday.

My dream scenario is a stalling front giving 12 hours of snow or so, you can but dream.

Posted

hi mountain shadow, conditions are worsening, a total blizzard blowing outside. you wouldnt put a dog outside in this, but its great to watch from inside. :) temp now 0.6c and still falling. :drinks: pity it took so long to settle as there was a thaw in place, but its starting to settle now and everything turning white.

Edited by stormforce 10

Posted

snow really starting accumulate. approx 2 inches and still snowing. very wet snow thoe with slush underneath. treacherous conditions under foot and for driving. outside temp 0.2c. :rofl:

Posted

Was unaware until it starting hitting the windows that its Snowing lightly here [Antrim] Being blown about alot in the strong winds. Hopefully something heavier later.

Posted

Snowing heavily here. Seems to be settling only on car roofs

Posted

Looks like it left trouser leged down here all night (rain that is)....

Last nights min: 1.7c

Currently 1.9c

Posted

Looks like it left trouser leged down here all night (rain that is)....

Last nights min: 1.7c

Currently 1.9c

Yes - very disappointing but not surprising given the marginal nature of this snow event. It is close though with an air temp of 2.3C and dew point of -0.9C - just not close enough!

Posted

a terrific snow event here yesterday in co. roscommon. 13hrs of heavy driving snow, with a snow depth of 17.5cms. sadly its a slushy mess now and its raining ta boot. outside temp of 2.0c. looking forward to a cold frosty night. :lol:

Posted

a terrific snow event here yesterday in co. roscommon. 13hrs of heavy driving snow, with a snow depth of 17.5cms. sadly its a slushy mess now and its raining ta boot. outside temp of 2.0c. looking forward to a cold frosty night. cold.gif

I dare say if it hadn't have been wettish marginal snow and not melting the whole time you could have had 2/3 times that, half a metre.

So close (as Jon said) we could almost smell the success. Too much time between the cold Easterly blast of 3 days ago should this event had occured the day the snow started to melt, I think it could have been a much different story.