Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
cold.gif this is great snowing hard here in laois can see the dublin to cork motorway from my house . there is always traffic on it havent seen a thing in 10 mins .its so quite how much white stuff are we going to get.found 2 dead birds in the garden today have food out must be the intense cold that killed them that the only sad thing about this spell.

Posted

Thanks god we aint goin to Spain or abroad - Sky news said Dublin airport closed with the snow!

Posted

Thanks god we aint goin to Spain or abroad - Sky news said Dublin airport closed with the snow!

Its said that most of the day today. or yesterday even lol

Edited by jello

Posted

You could always use Belfast international airport! :)

The shower activity seems to have quietened down for now. Temp is 0 C.

Hopefully tomorrow's snow will come! :)

Edited by fear sneachta

Posted

not as cold here last nite. low of just -6c. currently -1.7c so things are warming up! freshening breeze is keeping temps up i think.

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

Have to say that this is the best cold spell that i have ever witnessed. Have about 2/3 cms of powder snow on the ground and we now have 21 days with lying snow. Really is spectacular!! Looking forward to seeing what monday brings as the snow moves north. Think its just a case of now casting with regards to the distribution and amount of snow we see. No real sign of milder conditions at the moment. This picture really sums up this cold spell for me as i have never in my life time seen such a sight. The River Foyle in Derry is nearly frozen solid and when i was going to work yesterday there were seals out on top of the ice, its the first time the Foyl River has froze in 50 years. What a sight! Heres a short video of Derry today where snow fell lightly for 3 hours and gave a further covering! Enjoy.

Are you kidding me is it still frozen i may see this today when i go over to my grandparents though it dosnt look to be all frozen over......... but its still frozen! temps are rising in eastern ni i hope this is just easterly winds as i have not been above freezing for ages and it would be horrible to get above iT!

Posted

Superb night but are temps are high this morning hopefully we can drop back down

Im sad to say a thaw is setting in.

You cant have everything you want .see what the next few hours bring.

Edited by cold snap

Posted

Superb night but are temps are high this morning hopefully we can drop back down

Im sad to say a thaw is setting in.

You cant have everthing you want .see what the next few hours bring.

well temps are ment to go down at night here to -8c but down in dublin hopefully the temps stay at 2c now too warm and then go back below 0c tonight and stay like that im hoping the cloud here keeps our temps down!

Posted

Its +4.3C on the coast now. The last few patches of snow are disappearing fast. There was never much snow here to begin with.

I suppose thats it now. The cold spell of the decade was total dud at this location in terms of snow. I have seen heavy showers on a cool April afternoon produce more snow than this. Most of the precipitation fell as graupel here anyway, so the covering on the ground even resembled the aftermath of a Spring-hailstorm.

I give up! I would gladly take cold zonality over an easterly. You have go to back to the easterly of Jan 1987 to find a covering of snow at this location, brought about by east winds, that lasted more than 24hours. No matter paradoxical it may seem, easterlies simply do not deliver when you live this close to the east coast.

Edited by DaBrigg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

A great overnight event, about 6" in to total here but unfortunately a thaw is setting in.

3C so this is going to start off as rain, i think.

I wonder will it turn back to snow later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

another bitter night here, overnight low of -5.5c, currently its -0.7c. becoming overcast to my east, so hopefully a wee drop of snow for me today. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Got to -9.9C overnight and since about 6am we've gotten about 4cm of snow on top of the 2 cm already there and it's still snowing. Currently -1.2C out with a light easterly breeze

Posted

I believe the end is nigh, at least for Ireland. We had light sleet earlier.

There is a distinct thaw in Dublin today, all of last night's top-up isn't noticeable anymore. Temp is + 3 C. :rofl:

Met Eireann is saying that there will be a gradual thaw from today with a significant thaw from Friday onwards.

The cold spell is coming to an end.

Edited by fear sneachta

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Yeah, came to an end here last night about 8pm, when temps rose above freezing and haven't went back down since. Currently +4.7c, the highest temperature in 2010 so far.

Posted

It's at its best here at the moment. Constant light snowfall, now up to 8cms and still just -0.6C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Its not all over yet folks, we aren't 1/2 way through winter yet....but this past month has been exceptional and very welcome in my eyes. Still a few days of cold weather with some wintry showers/fronts.....still some excitement to be had lampost watching and expect to have some surprise snowfall that will thaw very fast.

Posted

I'm sure quite a few of you were watching the Countryfile forecast.

I think it looked very promising for all of Ireland. Classic Atlantic trying to bully in through very cold air and not really winning. Wednesday looks to be very interesting with a front coming in over Ireland and then apparently stalling!

I think the Watcher is right there will be a few surprise snow falls that with thaw quickly (Which is what we are used to in the past good few years).

An exceptional winter already and still a good 6 weeks to go!

Fingers crossed.

Posted

Still snowing here! Up to between 10 and 12cms now! Most snow I've seen since I was a kid. Temperature not above 0C yet with light snowfall still continuing.

Whats the chances of me being able to get a bus to Cork City tomorrow do ye reckon?

Posted

Still snowing here! Up to between 10 and 12cms now! Most snow I've seen since I was a kid. Temperature not above 0C yet with light snowfall still continuing.

Whats the chances of me being able to get a bus to Cork City tomorrow do ye reckon?

Snow chance i would say.

Posted

Whatever snow and ice was about has completly gone here on the east coast - Maybe expectin sleet or rain later, probably fall as snow for a while few miles inland though so travel to work could be a bit tricky.