Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Very heavy snow shower here. Small covering on cars and grass.

Posted

Moderate snow showers here throughout the day. Current one is leaving a nice dusting, my street is also very icy.

Posted

Nice covering here in Antrim from that last shower. everything covered. Roads were covered temporarily but cleared now.

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

Had snow showers on and off all day. No longevity to allow accumulation. Blowing through far to quick.

yea we've had snow since 1215 on and off but its been hail snow hail snow weirdly... it lay in a heavy shower and melted again keeping temps up for anything lying and there is around 3-5cm on the mountain now... about 0.5-1.0c whats coming on sunday?

Edited by frostyjoe

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

cold and clear. outside temp 1.5c.

no snow here as of yet. just a few passing rain showers on and off today.

Posted

I don't post much but do look at the models. I don't contribute to the Output Model discussion as I am in agreement with the sensible posters and don't have anything further to say. I can't understand why someone would post a lengthy post that mirrors the 4 previous posts? And I don't know why someone who hasn't a clue would post on the Model Thread. Anyway as I live in Ireland I can post here.

Anyway - this weekend doesn't look good for snow below 300 to 400m. But you never know, inland on a brisk wind it might deliver to the norther half.

I woudld say with such sustained blocking on the models - all be it constantly pushed out 240 hrs for an esaterly, it would mean that we will get at least one more major easterly. I suspect snow will be a threat right into end of MArch this year.

What I am interested in is how this affects the Summer. You can read all you want about the top guys predicting this winter, but until the end most predicted a mild one. I would love to hear thoughts on how this unusal Winter is expected to effect the Summer. There should be some pointers from the past. Not saying set in stone that a blocked winter will provide a certain Summer, but the causes of the clod winter may have an impact on the following Summer. I could not take another very wet Irish Summer on top of all our other worries :)

Alot can still happen in this winter! I will agree with the point that you are saying that there is a chance that we could see cold through March but i think that this winter could well last into April! No matter how good a forecaster you are or how much experiance you have no one can foresee the coming summer. In my opinion anything can happen! People saying that because we are having a coldish winter and we are gonna have an exceptional summer is total balls! This is all in my own opinion! Putting my neck on the line i would say that the best of this winter is still to come! We may well have had lying snow for 3 weeks but by no means was this the best snow we have ever seen. It was more cold than snowy here in Derry. Not really basing it on any facts but something feels different about this winter and i think we could be in for quite a few surprises. Anyway rant over!! We have 1cm of lying snow from earlier snow showers which will probably melt tomorrow but its nice to see. I have a friend living in Carndonagh in Donegal and they have 2-3cms of snow from todays showers.

Edited by ronan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

1cm-2cm of snow, lying in patches but melting in the midday sun. Temps pegged back alot today due to the 50/60% snow cover, currently only 1.6c. Had a few heavy snow showers last night, some Blizzard conditions too as the snow was quite dense and falling fast.

No precipitation today so far, but a few ominous looking cumulus heading in from the North.

Posted

Have had very hefty snow showers hear in Derry from yesterday evening. There's currently about an inch of snow of the ground and looking at the radar there's an band of more organised showers on their way. Could be a good couple of inches in the morning.

Posted

Snowin away on east coast of Norn Iron started after 1am when I had to go pick a few peeps from Cairndhu golf club - Still snowin away the Irish sea is kickin up some hefty showers!

Posted

had another heavy snow shower. about a half inch on the ground. everything nice and white.

outside temp 0.8c.

i am very pleased with this winter so far. lost count of the sub-zero temps and frosts. four snow events. hopefully its a prelude for winters to come. :lol:

Edited by stormforce 10

Posted

Woke up :) to about an inch and a half of snow on the ground this morning. Only thing is that the sun is shining so i'd say there will be alot of melt through the day. There was a very heavy shower at about 4 this morning. Have never seen snow flakes as big before! Anyway i'm off to the Glenshane with the dog.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Another dusting this morning, about 60% melted now.

Currently 2.2c

I must say, so far this winter has clocked up more lying snow days than the last 3 winters put together for me, and more days of falling snow than last year.

Posted

0.5c and had snow last night about half an inch and my mother tells me there is 3 inches in eglinton and about 3-5inches on benevenagh... and have just had another hail shower (ugh) which is really irritating as i would want snow and hail just wets the ground more making it harder for snow to lie... why are we geting hail anyway!(would it be a positive dp)? i see we are forecasted for persistant snow tomorrow. lol....

Edited by frostyjoe

Posted

Had the very slightest of skiffs. Lay instantly. Roads in our estate are a good indicator because I cleared our drive and then gritted it along with the road around us for about 150ft either way.

Really glad I did because tomorrow could have been a lot worse if the lying snow was alowed to freeze.

Radar is showing a lot of showers about. Could still be an interesting night!

:drinks:

Posted

glad to hear you got some snow, baltic regions. :nonono: make the most of it.

very cold here, very frosty.

outside temp -1.2c :nonono:

Edited by stormforce 10

Posted

another cold morning here.

cold and frosty. mostly cloudy now.

outside temp -0.1c

overnight min -1.4c :unsure: