Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Coast

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Had moderate snow here for the last 20 minutes, settling readily on roads that were cleared of snow - just in time for rush hour! Fortunately a walk home for me. Looks like more to come down from N Kent.

Posted

can anyone give me an estimate of how long before it hits Brighton please?

i recon about 30- 45 minutes if the cloud doesnt disapear

Posted

Just thought I'd re-post my little introduction, as it sadly managed to find its way to be the last post of page 18 :( Hope you guys don't mind. :nonono:

Nothing here to the North of you just yet, seems the 'blob' managed to push just enough East to miss us completely, hopefully that stuff to its North-West will scrape us.

Currently -2C and surprisingly calm...

KK

Whatcha Kiwi,have you skated on your lovely village pond yet ?:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

Latest forecast looks fantastic for Essex, Kent and Suffolk Costal areas, upto 20cms expected here on sat night/sunday

I'm keeping everything crossed for a piece of that action here :nonono:

Posted

Just thought I'd re-post my little introduction, as it sadly managed to find its way to be the last post of page 18 :) Hope you guys don't mind. :nonono:

Nothing here to the North of you just yet, seems the 'blob' managed to push just enough East to miss us completely, hopefully that stuff to its North-West will scrape us.

KK

Welcome Kentish Kiwi, I know which side of the world I would prefer to be on and its not here :(

Posted

Hope you have done better then me? I had a dusting this morning which stuck around for an hour or less. Although I know parts of Peterborough got a wee bit more!

Yes we are one of the few places where this cold snap probably won't be remembered!!!

We had a few smatterings this morning, looks like we've just had a really hard, patchy frost and then the sun comes out....... certainly nothing to be memorable thats for sure! Always seem to be our turn tomorrow....anyway mustn't moan!smile.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Nw one seems spot on for here,just wish it had place names or map,so you could gauge hat was where like,very good for me though :nonono:

Thanks. My recent experience with the NW radar is that it seems to show the general track of a shower, but seems inaccurate on timing. For example, the snow shower I reported earlier was shown on NW to have already passed over while we were actually getting the heaviest snow. Also, our member from Trowse reported snow there, whilst the radar showed nothing.

Posted

Just thought I'd re-post my little introduction, as it sadly managed to find its way to be the last post of page 18 :( Hope you guys don't mind. :nonono:

KK

Hi there

You lot normally get clobbered when there is a proper Thames Streamer going, I can see the hills towards Sevenoaks from here and often see the clouds over there with snow whilst it is dry here.

Really only clipped that last shower but it does look good for the rest of the night.

Posted

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd register to give snow reports from the Sevenoaks area (Otford, North-West Kent to be precise), which seems to be a relative black spot in coverage (although there is a decent amount of posters around the area such as Maidstone, Tonbridge, Tunny Wells and Bexleyheath).

Its clouded over currently, after a lengthy afternoon sunny spell, and I'm expecting some snow in the next half hour to an hour. It seems this blog that's effecting Maidstone and Central Kent is passing just to the west of me due to too much of a Northerly element to the winds, hopefully it can veer more Easterly overnight and we should hopefully receive a decent top-up ontop to the 10cm+ thats lying widely across this area. Currently monitoring that cluster of showers moving down the Essex coastal area for later.

Anyway, cheers, has been a very good winter so far, with four days off school including the spell before Christmas and hopefully it can get even better over the weekend! smile.gif

KK

Welcome to NW, Kentish Kiki :(

I'm in T. Wells so I'll be following your updates with interest. I hope we get a good dumping over the weekend.

We've got roughly 13cm here at the moment and the temp is reading -2.5C.

Sadly we missed the last blob of snow which passed just east of us. :nonono:

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Large rash of showers , dutch coast

That looks good

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Can I just take a quick straw poll, please?

1. Which radar are you all using to track the showers?

2. Do you have any opinion on the accuracy of the NW 5 minute radar? (Obviously, only those who use it will be able to answer that one).

The reason I ask is that I'm getting ever more uncertain as to how useful the NW radar is - it seems wildly inaccurate to me, and that rather cancels-out the fact that it updates quickly.

The 5-minute radar is based, I believe, on the Met Office premium one, and I've always found it to be pretty accurate, although it is sometimes prone to anaprop issues.

Snow streamers staying mostly to the east of Norwich although I did have a couple of snow flurries at 3-4pm. The GFS Precipitation charts suggest that those streamers could head westwards as the ENE'ly picks up, though. Now covered in snow because I got involved in a big snowball fight- but all good fun!

More of a NE'ly is good news if you want snow rather than sleet on Sunday as it slows the rate at which the cold 850s are mixed out.

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

Whatcha Kiwi,have you skated on your lovely village pond yet ?:)

Haha, nope not yet. :rolleyes:

Other than thin ice forming on the surface its remained largely ice free, especially compared to the local lakes etc which have completely frozen over on the surface. I can only think its because of the ducks swimming around keeping it from forming or that they've added some kinda de-icer solution to the water.:pardon:

It has been recently refurbished and is looking really lovely with the winter scenery.

Posted

looks like it may well hit brighton! not sure if it will hit us in Lancing fingers crossed!

i think you might be right, the ones last night were dying over eastbourne before they reaced us unsure.gif

Posted

Coming down big time at the moment in Rochford

Yep, heaviest of the day so far. Big flakes and lots of em. :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

The 5-minute radar is based, I believe, on the Met Office premium one, and I've always found it to be pretty accurate, although it is sometimes prone to anaprop issues.

Snow streamers staying mostly to the east of Norwich although I did have a couple of snow flurries at 3-4pm. Now covered in snow because I got involved in a big snowball fight- but all good fun!

Thanks TWS - I'll persevere with it I think! Can you explain how anaprops may manifest themselves, please?

I'll bet the sloping bits of UEA are fun in this snow! Seen any daft female students slithering about in heels since this snow started? :rolleyes::)

BTW, hi KK! :pardon:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

Wish I lived a bit further south :rolleyes:

Posted

Can I just take a quick straw poll, please?

1. Which radar are you all using to track the showers?

2. Do you have any opinion on the accuracy of the NW 5 minute radar? (Obviously, only those who use it will be able to answer that one).

The reason I ask is that I'm getting ever more uncertain as to how useful the NW radar is - it seems wildly inaccurate to me, and that rather cancels-out the fact that it updates quickly.

Rain Today - I've been using it for about 5 months and I find it very accurate. The new feature detailing precipitation type also seems very good.

In Tunbridge Wells we're just having a shower that is now nearing its end and has given us a new dusting.

MM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

The showers keep veering left just before me and head across Gillingham & Maidstone......where is the ENE we were forecasted ?

I've decided Rochester isn't a great location for Snow Showers since I moved here two years ago, most seem to pass us to our east and hit maidstone down the road which always seems to get more snow. Does anyone know why this is .

Hello to everyone by the way smile.gif

Hi Goonerchat

I'm just up the road from you (A228 top of Four Elms Hill) we just had a blizzard and I can usually see all lights in Frindsbury/Chatham and further but now its all dark.....have you had a power cut??

Posted

Hello everyone, registered yesterday and my first post smile.gif

I see a lack of peeps from Chelmsford on here, so hopefully i can prove any snowfall info as i get it.

Incidentally, does chelmsford stand any chance of getting any of that snow heading off the north sea tonight?

Edited by Mustang

Posted

All the pink splodges on the radar keep just missing me! I keep watching and thinking it's going to get me, then it skims straight past!!

Hope this isn't the shape of things to come for the weekend :rolleyes:

Posted

Yep, heaviest of the day so far. Big flakes and lots of em. :rolleyes:

Looks like I'm just outside this time..!

regards,

Steve

btw Hi Kiwi, Mustang :pardon:

Edited by Glideslope

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & Snowy, Hot & Sunny & Thunderstorms

The showers keep veering left just before me and head across Gillingham & Maidstone......where is the ENE we were forecasted ?

It's turned into N/N Easterly once again! :rolleyes: