Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Coast

Posted

Large rash of showers , dutch coast

That looks good

Thats the only time you can say a rash looks good :),tracking individual showers is a roller coaster within a roller coaster,they morph into so many shapes and intensities that time it gets to you or doesnt, you drunk a bottle of brandy(me anyway,not that im an alcoholic yet)smoked ten fags,worrying about if its going to get you,as if the world depended on it,snow is madness :):pardon::rolleyes::)

Posted

Thanks TWS - I'll persevere with it I think! Can you explain how anaprops may manifest themselves, please?

I'll bet the sloping bits of UEA are fun in this snow! Seen any daft female students slithering about in heels since this snow started? :rolleyes::)

BTW, hi KK! :pardon:

Ha, reminds me of when I was living in Norfolk Terrace at UEA in 1976/77 the broad was frozen, actually so were we.

North Norfolk mostly dry at the minute, but the temperature, having got down to -2.2 is back up at -1.4 as some cloud comes in. The flow is still predominantly North easterly, with the wind starting to increase

Posted

Thats the only time you can say a rash looks good :),tracking individual showers is a roller coaster within a roller coaster,they morph into so many shapes and intensities that time it gets to you or doesnt, you drunk a bottle of brandy(me anyway,not that im an alcoholic yet)smoked ten fags,worrying about if its going to get you,as if the world depended on it,snow is madness :pardon: :unsure: :cc_confused::)

:rofl:

Posted

Haha, nope not yet. :cc_confused:

Other than thin ice forming on the surface its remained largely ice free, especially compared to the local lakes etc which have completely frozen over on the surface. I can only think its because of the ducks swimming around keeping it from forming or that they've added some kinda de-icer solution to the water.:unsure:

It has been recently refurbished and is looking really lovely with the winter scenery.

Hi NZ Kiwi! :pardon:

Posted

Missed us!!! :cc_confused:

Amazing how localised showers can be. We had this problem last night, where it was Snowing heavily in Leigh, but bone dry in Westcliff, Southend & Shoebury.

Still coming down very heavily here. Dry slot to follow for a while, until that batch over Yarmouth heads down.

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

Chucking it down again.

So it is! Hadn't bothered looking at the lampost since the last lot missed. Cheers Warren. Lee.

Edit to say fizzling out again. Why oh why can't we have sustained moderate snow? Agghhhh!!!!

Edited by winterfreak

Posted

Can I just take a quick straw poll, please?

1. Which radar are you all using to track the showers?

2. Do you have any opinion on the accuracy of the NW 5 minute radar? (Obviously, only those who use it will be able to answer that one).

The reason I ask is that I'm getting ever more uncertain as to how useful the NW radar is - it seems wildly inaccurate to me, and that rather cancels-out the fact that it updates quickly.

I echo TWS here, generally pretty good for me. I've never had any anaprop being displayed here, my location, but I thought that my stepson had had a stonking storm only to be told they'd had fog!! Generally it displays what's experienced

Edited by NorthNorfolkWeather

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

Welcome Kentish Kiwi, I know which side of the world I would prefer to be on and its not here :pardon:

Yeah, I do miss it and it is really lovely in the Summer, which has been a scorcher so far over there, although it is really great to see a true winter and some of the white stuff while over here, something we never see where I lived in the sub-tropical North, my relatives are always interested in seeing the pics I take, which is always a huge contrast to what they're experiencing at the time. My grandparent hadn't seen snow falling their entire life apart from when they came over here the other year!!

Hi there

You lot normally get clobbered when there is a proper Thames Streamer going, I can see the hills towards Sevenoaks from here and often see the clouds over there with snow whilst it is dry here.

Really only clipped that last shower but it does look good for the rest of the night.

Yep sure does. Yeah, the Downs normally do really well out of those situations. Actually I've been up 'extreme sledging' at the top of the Kemsing Downs the last three days, where they've got a lovely powdery covering of around 20cm, beautiful views from up there - looks like something from Switzerland not the UK :)

Welcome to NW, Kentish Kiki :)

I'm in T. Wells so I'll be following your updates with interest. I hope we get a good dumping over the weekend.

We've got roughly 13cm here at the moment and the temp is reading -2.5C.

Sadly we missed the last blob of snow which passed just east of us. :rofl:

Thanks mate, yep same here :cc_confused: but not to worry, I'm pretty sure were going to do quite well over the coming days ay, even overnight when the winds veer ever slightly more Easterly.

Also just wanted to say thanks for the welcome and replys everyone, I love this kind of winter weather, which is something I would have never seen back home, and have been following Netweather for the last few months, been great reading some of your reports and thoughts. Heres hoping for the coming weekend :unsure:

Posted

Amazing how localised showers can be. We had this problem last night, where it was Snowing heavily in Leigh, but bone dry in Westcliff, Southend & Shoebury.

bone dry here aswell at the moment, very localised showers! rolleyes.gif

Posted

After an hour and half respite here it is now snowing heavily again. Not seen snow this deep here for several years. Absolutely fantastic.drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot summers

Hi Goonerchat

I'm just up the road from you (A228 top of Four Elms Hill) we just had a blizzard and I can usually see all lights in Frindsbury/Chatham and further but now its all dark.....have you had a power cut??

No we're fine here so far , I'm just off Maidstone Road near the high Street.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Thanks TWS - I'll persevere with it I think! Can you explain how anaprops may manifest themselves, please?

I'll bet the sloping bits of UEA are fun in this snow! Seen any daft female students slithering about in heels since this snow started? :whistling::D

BTW, hi KK! :hi:

To be honest I'm not certain how anaprops appear. I think it's to do with interference between the satellite and the ground, creating false areas of precipitation that aren't really there.

Yes, there's been lots of people sledging down the hills at UEA today- a few even skiing!

Posted

Hi NZ Kiwi! :hi:

Hey Lottie! :D

Noticed you were on here and Dan too, always makes me smile when I see you guy's post! :whistling:

Posted

That last shower produced 2 cms, biggest amount for a couple of days, hope more to come smile.gif

Yeah real cracker this one. Still going here, but will fizzle out shortly. Dry behind until the Yarmouth showers make their mind up where they will dump on next :whistling:

Posted

Im on medway city estate in strood and we had about another cm from the shower that passed over earlier, but now looks like another longer shower is about 10 mins away headding directly to us from the nw radar....long break then alot more!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

is the windchill really going to be that bad over the weekend?

Yes! It's bloody freezing in the gusty showers today! lol

Posted

Moderate snow here in T.Wells now. Very odd because when I went out there 5 mins ago it was clear skies!