Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Coast

Posted

Snowing nicely here at the moment

temp 0.2

Posted

Does anybody think this band heading suth from Hull will hit Peterborough or will it go slighty West of us?

They look like they will miss us mate......

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

For places further east or shall i say most of kent , we need to keep an eye here

4q3ng5.jpg

Posted

I've decided Rochester isn't a great location for Snow Showers since I moved here two years ago, most seem to pass us to our east and hit maidstone down the road which always seems to get more snow. Does anyone know why this is .

Hello to everyone by the way smile.gif

Yep I totally agree.......all the showers iv watched the last 2 days have gone west or east of us!.......BUT there are showers heading for us....so we can all but hope!....want more to add to the 2 or 3 inches we have here at the moment

Posted

We are right on the edge of that shower and just getting the scruffy bits.

Tell you what though wazza,i would rather scruffy snow than well kitted out stuff five miles down the road :diablo:

Edited by TN9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

I know this probably won't get answered but will the snow on sat night and sunday reach this far north west? Or it will just affect Kent and up to Ea.

My own thoughts are that there is now more of a northerly component to what we are getting than was previously envisaged. i think this is bad news for us in terms of what we might expect in terms of showers and on Sunday... a dusting at best I think... but encouraging perhaps in terms of the cold spell lasting longer than some of this mornings models suggested.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

lightish snow here in Shorne. We seem to have missed the beefy showers since lunchtime.

Temp -0.8c. Ice day today

Posted

They look like they will miss us mate......

Thanks Slinky..... just dont think the snow Gods like Peterborough at the minute!! lol!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

We are right on the edge of that shower and just getting the scruffy bits.

Yeah deffo the ar*e end.......

Edited by winterfreak

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Can I just take a quick straw poll, please?

1. Which radar are you all using to track the showers?

2. Do you have any opinion on the accuracy of the NW 5 minute radar? (Obviously, only those who use it will be able to answer that one).

The reason I ask is that I'm getting ever more uncertain as to how useful the NW radar is - it seems wildly inaccurate to me, and that rather cancels-out the fact that it updates quickly.

Posted

My own thoughts are that there is now more of a northerly component to what we are getting than was previously envisaged. i think this is bad news for us in terms of what we might expect in terms of showers and on Sunday... a dusting at best I think... but encouraging perhaps in terms of the cold spell lasting longer than some of this mornings models suggested.

Timmy you only have to look at current SLP map for now and compare to 36 hours time to see the difference.

Whils of course places could still just get a dusting, it bears watching. I am sticking with 5cm's quite widely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

2. Do you have any opinion on the accuracy of the NW 5 minute radar? (Obviously, only those who use it will be able to answer that one).

The reason I ask is that I'm getting ever more uncertain as to how useful the NW radar is - it seems wildly inaccurate to me, and that rather cancels-out the fact that it updates quickly.

I'm using raintoday.... can't be bad as I rang home to tell them to expect a small shower within five minutes and a couple of minutes later, while I was still on the phone, it did indeed start snowing!

Posted

Thanks Slinky..... just dont think the snow Gods like Peterborough at the minute!! lol!!

Hope you have done better then me? I had a dusting this morning which stuck around for an hour or less. Although I know parts of Peterborough got a wee bit more!

Yes we are one of the few places where this cold snap probably won't be remembered!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

I'm using raintoday.... can't be bad as I rang home to tell them to expect a small shower within five minutes and a couple of minutes later, while I was still on the phone, it did indeed start snowing!

Thanks - I used to use Raintoday as well, but when I subscribed, I decided to use the NW radar.

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd register to give snow reports from the Sevenoaks area (Otford, North-West Kent to be precise), which seems to be a relative black spot in coverage (although there is a decent amount of posters around the area such as Maidstone, Tonbridge, Tunny Wells and Bexleyheath).

Its clouded over currently, after a lengthy afternoon sunny spell, and I'm expecting some snow in the next half hour to an hour. It seems this blog that's effecting Maidstone and Central Kent is passing just to the west of me due to too much of a Northerly element to the winds, hopefully it can veer more Easterly overnight and we should hopefully receive a decent top-up ontop to the 10cm+ thats lying widely across this area. Currently monitoring that cluster of showers moving down the Essex coastal area for later.

Anyway, cheers, has been a very good winter so far, with four days off school including the spell before Christmas and hopefully it can get even better over the weekend! :clap:

KK

Just thought I'd re-post my little introduction, as it sadly managed to find its way to be the last post of page 18 :clap: Hope you guys don't mind. :yahoo:

Snowing in tonbridge now and wind more gusty with it.... :yahoo:

Nothing here to the North of you just yet, seems the 'blob' managed to push just enough East to miss us completely, hopefully that stuff to its North-West will scrape us.

Currently -2C and surprisingly calm...

KK

Edited by Kentish Kiwi

Posted
  • Location: near Charing ( Mid Kent between Ashford & Maidstone )
  • Location: near Charing ( Mid Kent between Ashford & Maidstone )

that shower is still going strong here - had a good half hr so far of v heavy snow adding another cm or 2 to our ever growing total

Posted

A question for the pro's here. Why is it the Easterlies progged for Sunday afternoon into next week, look like bringing dry and cloudy conditions?

Is it because the models underestimate any potential convection and streamer type setups? or are dry and cloudy conditions likely after Sunday's snow?

Posted

Nw one seems spot on for here,just wish it had place names or map,so you could gauge what was where like,very good for me though :yahoo:

Edited by TN9