Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

To be honest even if this was the beginning of the end, I don't feel like complaining too much. Best spell of cold and snow for donkeys years - magnificent.

Mind you, more snow & cold would still be welcome acute.gif

Yes that's pretty much how I feel, I would love it to carry on until Feb this cold but if it doesn't I won't mind, it's been a fantastic cold spell, I'll just look forward to a nice warm spring and summer (we should be so lucky!) :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

it was looking like the best snow event from this cold spell, as all ive have is a measly 0.5cm yes 0.5cm, which has remained in place due to the sub zero temps, it will soon be gone now.

can anyone explain as to where the milder air has come from?

Posted

Too right James M - oh and I drove over to Delph for a meeting Friday morning, to say the drive over the hills was 'scenic' is a vast understatement!

Anyone reading the London & SE thread?

Poor buggers are very unhappy bunnies

At least on this thread we are a bit more philosophical about things drinks.gif

Edited by sconetone

Posted

I think a few days ago the synoptics were looking good for them having quite a bit of snow, and sadly that hasn't materialised. In fact I'm not even sure Kent has got as much as it was expecting.

Well I concur with other's that if this winter was to stop now, it would certainly reside well up there with one of the best I've had in my experiences. No misley two day topplers, or dissapointing mild v's cold battles with mild always winning out like we've mostly had in the past 20yrs.

Lovely sustained cold weather, with some pretty amazing low temps and more snowfall than I can ever remember :)

Posted

it was looking like the best snow event from this cold spell, as all ive have is a measly 0.5cm yes 0.5cm, which has remained in place due to the sub zero temps, it will soon be gone now.

can anyone explain as to where the milder air has come from?

It's them bleedin southerers sending their softy warm air across. lol

Raining in Kent, at least so far we don't have that mate! they can keep it, would sooner have a 'dry' thaw than rain and slushy mush mellow.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

It's been great sharing this cold experience with fellow north-westerners. As Tony said, we seem more philosophical about things, probably because we don't ramp things off the scale, but enjoy what comes. Last Tuesday morning was all the better for the intensity and length of the snow, most of which is still here on the west coast. Anything else now is a bonus. It's been great, and still just might be.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

we need someone of experiance to explain, the warm front must have had warmer air tied in with it and the north sea temps are quite mild?

but check the wales and sw england threads thay have heavy snow!!! and temps around zero....but are closer to the warm front

im confused at this whole set up, really quite annoying. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

I think a few days ago the synoptics were looking good for them having quite a bit of snow, and sadly that hasn't materialised. In fact I'm not even sure Kent has got as much as it was expecting.

Well I concur with other's that if this winter was to stop now, it would certainly reside well up there with one of the best I've had in my experiences. No misley two day topplers, or dissapointing mild v's cold battles with mild always winning out like we've mostly had in the past 20yrs.

Lovely sustained cold weather, with some pretty amazing low temps and more snowfall than I can ever remember smile.gif

yes i agree it has been a very good winter which, if that was the end of the snow and freezing temperatures, would still be remembered for years to come.

from a completely selfish point of view though; if that's it for us up North then i hope to God that it's the same all over the country.

the idea of wall to wall news coverage of snow darn sarf while were battling through torrential drizzle up here - no thanks.

anyway the temperature has crept above freezing here for the first time in almost a week.

now at 0.5c - cloudy and a cold wind blowing but no sign of snow as yet.

Ian

Posted

I don't think this was ever a 100% nailed on event for here anyway. The only chart that suggested all snow was that ridiculous BBC forecast from last night. All other forecasts I have seen as well as some of the forecast model charts have expressed an element of doubt. It's now 2c here and there seems to be a quick thaw taking place as the sun has come out. We will have to see what tonight brings, can't see anything other than sleet or rain here, but I wait to be proved wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow; Thunderstorms; Heat Waves

Too right James M - oh and I drove over to Delph for a meeting Friday morning, to say the drive over the hills was 'scenic' is a vast understatement!

Why would someone from Lancashire be reading the London / SE thread? Would that be your little inferiority complex rearing it's ugly head again? <_< Yup, thought so.

Posted

we need someone of experiance to explain, the warm front must have had warmer air tied in with it and the north sea temps are quite mild?

but check the wales and sw england threads thay have heavy snow!!! and temps around zero....but are closer to the warm front

im confused at this whole set up, really quite annoying. <_<

surely being an upper warm front it has brought in upper warmer air, warmer uppers

Edited by snowingtequila

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

The only chart that suggested all snow was that ridiculous BBC forecast from last night.

It was me who copied & pasted that snowfest chart - I feel bad now - sorry guys. <_< Maybe temps will dip just low enough for some though.

Posted

Morning all! Ive loved the last week on this forum. My other half will be relieved when this 'event' is over, I have been driving her up the wall with my constant delivery of weather stats! haha! Temp here in Litherland is currently 2.0c, fell from 2.5c in the past 10 mins!

Posted

Why would someone from Lancashire be reading the London / SE thread? Would that be your little inferiority complex rearing it's ugly head again? whistling.gif Yup, thought so.

ooh that was a little touchy

bear in mind i wasn't taking the pee was I?

Ah well...... rolleyes.gif

ps why would someone from down south be reading the Northwest Thread *ahem* pardon.gif

Edited by sconetone

Posted

SD it's wasn't your fault, after all, all you posted was a shot of the actual forecast and regardless the later BBC forecast also suggested a similar outcome.

Latest METAR forecasts all suggest rain/snow showers apart from Manchester later on in the evening/night.

Edited by Snow free zone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

It's fantastic up here isn't it? Dovestones is looking quite spectacular atm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow!!!

well here in tropical manchester the temp has risen enough for me to want to strip naked through the garden! oh NO! obvious signs of a thaw here now in M21 - burst pipe in next door's house widdling over the lovely packed ice...

looks like wet stuff above us now - but having said that I woke up cold during the night for the first time since the onset of the cold spell - so the temp must have dropped sharply and risen again. Cant access thermoms yet so can't see what went on.

well, it's been a joyous event for me and loads of playing out in the snow with the kids but the housework's been neglected so perhaps it's not such a bad thing? :good:

Should the weather decide it'll bestow more of the snow on us I'll obviously be a very delighted bunny though...

Just checked Biddulph Park cam and it's raining :cray:

metcheck webcams national

Lymm looks like nothing happened...anyone from there?

Edited by fluffytrollop

Posted

yes i agree it has been a very good winter...

It's January 10th - let's not forget that

Why would someone from Lancashire be reading the London / SE thread? Would that be your little inferiority complex rearing it's ugly head again? whistling.gif Yup, thought so.

And why would someone from the SE be reading the NW thread?

No one's got an inferiority complex about the south-east, why would anyone have a need to?

Posted

well here in tropical manchester the temp has risen enough for me to want to strip naked through the garden! oh NO! obvious signs of a thaw here now in M21 - burst pipe in next door's house widdling over the lovely packed ice...

looks like wet stuff above us now - but having said that I woke up cold during the night for the first time since the onset of the cold spell - so the temp must have dropped sharply and risen again. Cant access thermoms yet so can't see what went on.

well, it's been a joyous event for me and loads of playing out in the snow with the kids but the housework's been neglected so perhaps it's not such a bad thing? :(

Should the weather decide it'll bestow more of the snow on us I'll obviously be a very delighted bunny though...

Just checked Biddulph Park cam and it's raining :(

That cam can't be correct for Lymm! I work in Thelwall and it wasn't like that on Friday......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Why would someone from Lancashire be reading the London / SE thread? Would that be your little inferiority complex rearing it's ugly head again? :( Yup, thought so.

Likewise, why would someone from London/SE be paying a visit from the Northwest thread? :rofl: You totally set yourself up for that one :(:(

I'm a bit slow but alas you have got the point!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow!!!

That cam can't be correct for Lymm! I work in Thelwall and it wasn't like that on Friday......

yep, puzzling or what !?

yep, puzzling or what !?

oh it loaded on saying it wasn't working... :(

DOH. sorry. didn't say that the first time I looked...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

well, it's been a joyous event for me and loads of playing out in the snow with the kids but the housework's been neglected so perhaps it's not such a bad thing? whistling.gif

Just checked Biddulph Park cam and it's raining unknw.gif

Some of those cams you mention aren't even showing a live feed