Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Could that be because there is moe moisture round tne coast ....so even tnough showers are not coming of th sea they are still sort of reinvigerated by it....is this possible sounds plausable???

Yeps, moisture certainly around the coasts will help to pepp up the showers from time to time.

Just thought Id post the 850 temps for tonight and tomorrow night.

Still very cold 850 temps especially in the south of the region. The only time they deviate away from -9 is late tomorrow evening..which wont make too much of a difference.

I have included the NAE charts for tomorrow evening from 6pm and 12am..bare in mind the NAE is over doing the rain event.

post-8049-12630625042442_thumb.gif

post-8049-12630625149542_thumb.gif

post-8049-12630626090842_thumb.gif

post-8049-12630626146342_thumb.gif

Posted

The snow here is slightly melting in places that are in the sun for long periods but it's still covering pretty much everywhere - the snow actually goes well past my ankle. Hopefully we will get a topping up tomorrow and Monday (and even Tuesday). The GFS and FAX look rather tasty at the moment and I hope they stay the same, or obviously improve.

Posted

If that forecast by Dan Corbett even half comes off, I'll be extremely happy indeed.

Anyway, we need more snow now as everything on the pavements has been compressed into thick ice. Only green areas and very quiet back streets are now walkable. The local supermarket has also run out of bread!

Posted

So is it a case of radar watching tomoz then?

Possibly midnight onwards (sunday - monday)the NAE is suggesting some parts of the lake district may get some light snow. Seems to me that NAE and the BBC are in agreement with where they think snow will fall. I wouldnt be surprised to see another upgrade from meto before too long either.

Lets hope things dont change too drastically.

this is for monday

post-8049-12630639952942_thumb.gif

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Possibly midnight onwards (sunday - monday)the NAE is suggesting some parts of the lake district may get some light snow. Seems to me that NAE and the BBC are in agreement with where they think snow will fall. I wouldnt be surprised to see another upgrade from meto before too long either.

Lets hope things dont change too drastically.

this is for monday

Cheers HC, but the rain rather than snow areas (coastal and an inland one) look worrying. Hope its not an issue! :unknw:

Posted

Cheers HC, but the rain rather than snow areas (coastal and an inland one) look worrying. Hope its not an issue! :rofl:

I think there are odd occasions when these charts need to be viewed with a little scepticism with regards to type of precipitation. Maybe 10% of the time and I believe this is one of them. The models use a fairly standard algorithm to predict snow that takes into account modelled values of T850, ground temp, thicknesses, dew point, theta-W (wet bulb temp), precip rate etc etc. If one of these parameters is not conducive to snow the map will invariably show rain or sleet. Given the embedded surface cold and the low ground temps I think that anything that does fall in the NW tomorrow will be snow. The only real issue imo is has that map got the precip placement and amounts right. The NAE seems pretty good short term, we have support from the UKMO (fax and models to a degree) and the 12Z GFS also pushes the precip further north again - here's hoping! :D

Posted

Already -5.1C in Crosby at 7pm. Should it stay clear and calm tonight?

It's -3c here on the coast but it is cloudy already.

The next few days could prove to very interesting, especially if the front edges this far north on tues/weds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

well its looking better and better for snow in the NW, and im sure there will be nothing marginal about it, east or north east winds so no air will be blown in from the irish sea into western areas.

my temp has not got above freezing for the last 4 days max today was -2.0c, the cold is embedded and reluctant to go anywhere fast with many struggling to get above 0c and even then looking at 1 and 2c max in the upcoming week, and winds coming from a frozen continent my concern now is how far north that low will push its ppn as that could be one hell of a blizzard with very heavy snowfall and near gale/gale force winds recipe for MAJOR disruption, but it will most likely not get this far north.

before than we have sunday and mondays snow event which is looking interesting it all depends on the ppn we can get up here but its looking good for now, and a strong easterly wind, and if the met office upgraded there warning to red for heavy drifting snow i wouldnt be surprised....

hoping they wont backtrack on there current forecast for us.

a very exciting week coming up, and one i feel that will be remembered and we will be saying down the line ''remember the winter of 2010''

enjoy folks....

:rofl::whistling:

Posted

Must add that there is something special about that glow from the snow and clouds on a cold winters night.

As for the cold spell , I can't remember the last time it snowed on a Tuesday and it was still there to play in on the saturday (at sea level). Have had a great day trying to build a snowman with the kids whilst watching my dad go flying when he threw a snowball and tried to run on the ice in flip flops. :whistling::rofl::D

Edited by shaun l

Posted

conveyor belt of cloud bringing the snow....

http://www.sat24.com/gb

temp -5.5c

Edited by james12

Posted

Has anyone else noticed the area of light snow getting it's act together to the east of our region.

Posted

Francis Wilson just said that this snow that will effect the East tomorrow, trails all the way back to Germany and Russian, and as given 100cm's of snow there. However he does stress that it will lose a lot of it's "ooomph" by the time it reaches here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Has anyone else noticed the area of light snow getting it's act together to the east of our region.

itll probably stay in the east of the region.

I imagine the next few days will be cloud, dry but cold affair for us.

Posted

Yep, I've been keeping an eye on that for a while and it's definitely heading in our direction, albeit light precipitation. I think it could stand a chance of making it to us before fizzling out.

Posted

itll probably stay in the east of the region.

I imagine the next few days will be cloud, dry but cold affair for us.

Need a little more snow now mate. It's getting a bit too icy for snowmen and snowballs. Whats the coverage like up there. May take the kids to Thurstaton tomorrow.

Posted

another site i like to look at, there even going for snow and drifting...

http://www.gov.im/infocentre/weather.aspx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Need a little more snow now mate. It's getting a bit too icy for snowmen and snowballs. Whats the coverage like up there. May take the kids to Thurstaton tomorrow.

Its ok but alot of snow is very thin and compacting. Untouched snow is fairly decent but there wont be much untouched snow on Thurstaston Hill.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

-2.0c - Cloudy.

Radar has proven very in-accurate recently.

Showing snow over me, nothing falling at all.

post-8895-12630703085342_thumb.png

Edited by Backtrack