Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Morning all, its -5c here in Litherland we seem to have had a little snow overnight - a little flurry at best!!

-6.3c now....??

Edited by andyoefc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Quite a bit of cloud during the night and a couple of snow flurries have kept the temp up this morning, -4.1°C atm.

Posted

Morning all. Dry overnight here, as a result temp is currently -7. Looking at the forecasts it looks as though we have had our lot for snow for the time being at least for this part of the NW.

Posted

The latest bbc24 forecast has now fallen in line with the models, suggesting that the snow will reach our region tomorrow afternoon! It didn't look very heavy, but some moderate palses looked like mving from Lincolnshire in an easterly wind!

Karyo

Posted

Morning All-I can't see us getting significant snow all weekend. The event in the south also appears to been downgraded by the met office (another downgrade!) in its size.

Temp here here is -4C, Garston wund is showing -4.2C, no evidence of any overnight flurries here.

Well I guess it depends on wind now as to wether we even get any showers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

we had a slight covering in Bacup

almost impossible to measure with what is already on the ground but cleared less than a centimetre off the car windscreen before my wife went to work.

current temperature is -4.7'c; quite mild by comparison to recent mornings and there's even a scattering of snow flakes from bits of cloud trying to push over the moors from Yorkshire.

can't see it amounting to anything though as much of the sky is clear.

as for later; the will it or won't the snow reach the Northwest is, at least according to BBC News24, looking more likely.

still can't see us getting much from it but a subtle change of track northwards and we're in the firing line.

that said though, with the current lack of gritting taking place; i live on a main road and it looks to have not been salted for the last three days; any major snow fall and this weeks problems will be back again, only probably more so.

Ian

Posted

We are having wispy falls of snow on and off this morning. I don't imagine it will amount to much but it looks lovely :whistling:

Posted

Light snow is falling here currently thanks to a decaying shower.

Edit: some nice flakes are now falling! North Manchester looks like getting the best of this snow shower. No other reports??

Karyo

Edited by karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

-4c here DP -6c

interesting to see the gfs placing the ppn further north for sunday it now reaches the southern uplands leaving all of nw england with snow falling. i wonder how much the ukmo will ignore the gfs as it has been showing the ppn north for the last day or so.

easterly wind will pick up later so expect some showers to get pushed well inland, we are under very cold 850's today -10 to -12 this will help north sea convection and there already looks to be a fair bit of cloud over the north sea.

Edited by james12

Posted

-4c here DP -6c

interesting to see the gfs placing the ppn further north for sunday it now reaches the southern uplands leaving all of nw england with snow falling. i wonder how much the ukmo will ignore the gfs as it has been showing the ppn north for the last day or so.

easterly wind will pick up later so expect some showers to get pushed well inland, we are under very cold 850's today -10 to -12 this will help north sea convection and there already looks to be a fair bit of cloud over the north sea.

I think maybe the gfs is accounting for the pennines taking the sting out of anything coming from the east?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

snowing quite heavily here at the moment although with a hint of sun showing i don't think it'll last for long.

however it does mean that there is potential at least for something to cross the Pennines and effect those to my West.

Ian

Posted

Well, that was a nice start to the day! I can see more showers making it through the day, although predominantly light.

The 6z also shows the band of snow making it to our region tomorrow! It also has quite a few showers from tonight.

Karyo

Posted

snowing quite heavily here at the moment although with a hint of sun showing i don't think it'll last for long.

however it does mean that there is potential at least for something to cross the Pennines and effect those to my West.

Ian

Well thats good news-but the clouds are losing a hell of a lot of energy as they cross Pennines. I've just run the Meto infra red sat from 2300 hrs yesterday. You can see cloud moving east to west, and at 0000 hrs till about 0600 this am, most of the southern region was under a lot of cloud-but hardly any snow fell. So the cloud is getting across, but energy is severly reduced.

Edited by martinj2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Morning all - just woke up to find a frsh fall - only about 1cm but that's better than nothing. Have to say I'm rather shocked by the NW forecast - snow for all day tomorrow, monday, tuesday AND wednesday - now that's my kind of forecast

will try and get some more pics up and info once I've had enough tea and time to wake up

V

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Morning all! Nice dusting this morning, noticeable where snow had been cleared on cars and walls, and good news to hear more potential for tomorrow.

Posted

Just a few odd flakes wafting through the air here. If the showers can keep some substance to them as the cross the Pennines, then we could get something a little more prolonged. Suns just poppped through.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Gloriously sunny here and -2.6c , last night it only dipped to a balmy -6.8c :), compared to the previous nights -10.1c, good to see that sunday/mondays snow event includes us again , i was starting to think we had seen the last of the snow...hopefully some showers can reach here this pm.

Posted

Well thats good news-but the clouds are losing a hell of a lot of energy as they cross Pennines. I've just run the Meto infra red sat from 2300 hrs yesterday. You can see cloud moving east to west, and at 0000 hrs till about 0600 this am, most of the southern region was under a lot of cloud-but hardly any snow fell. So the cloud is getting across, but energy is severly reduced.

The beeb showed a graphic yesterday where the whole of the northwest was under the snow.

this is not the main snow event so stop getting so excited..we where not forecast to get snow today or any showers of any kind.

Tomorrow the winds will shift more to the south east and the south of the region should catch a few stray showers. The only thing thats has changed are the advisories and warnings issued by the most laughable met service in the world...perhaps they should stick to the global warming bs they do so well lol

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

overnight low -5.1c

current -3.1c

clear skies, gentle ne wind.

Posted

Tomorrow's forecast for the North West

Staying very cold with a severe frost and a biting easterly wind. Turning cloudier across southern parts with spells of snow but northern parts should remain mostly dry and bright. Maximum temperature 1 °C.

I have pushed forward the radar to where it thinks the precip will be around 11.30am this morning, which clearly shows the precip making it past the pennines and over manchester. As usual this probably won't happen (this precip is very very light.) because this is the radar's guesstimate of where the snow will be later.

post-8049-12630339963142_thumb.png

Edited by HotCuppa