Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Its getting very cold very quickly now, I wonder whether the lowest temperature of the winter will occur tonight?

It's the lowest Ive seen at this particular time of day during the last week at -2.2C, so it will be interesting to see how low it goes!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Its getting very cold very quickly now, I wonder whether the lowest temperature of the winter will occur tonight?

It's the lowest Ive seen at this particular time of day during the last week at -2.2C, so it will be interesting to see how low it goes!

Down to -3c already, must be honest i thought we'd stay relatively 'warmer' tonight ,but at this rate and if it doesn't cloud over i can see some very low minima around the region

Posted

BBC Website video (15.24z) is looking interesting for Monday here :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

BBC Website video (15.24z) is looking interesting for Monday here :whistling:

Hi Spurry - could you define 'interesting' ie did they mention amounts of snow??

Posted

You're right Spurry, just cehcked myself. 10-20cm of snow 'in some places' he said. I think West Yorkshire (leeds etc)are going to get a battering from tomorrow late afternoon....

Posted

I still think there will be some snow here tomorrow in the south of the region...anything hitting the north wales mountains and we always get the snow..cant see it being any different and the precip indications are pretty much now over NW england. This was the case before yesterday, it was the same yesterday except the inept meto decided to downgrade it, and I did say to be fair expect the advisrories / warnings to return and thats what has happened.

Partly cloudy which is preventing the temps from going down here...however id rather have the snow than the cold temps.

Snowing heavily at the Emirates in London

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Blimey - all of a sudden looks like Cumbria's in for a dumping this time too.

Today, the Eden has snow on.

post-717-12630541205142_thumb.jpg

HotCuppa - in what way have the Met Office let you down so badly?

Posted

I am expecting the meto to upgrade all areas to warning..nothing has changed at all since they removed the original warning...perhaps making it look like they are working lol

Posted

Well i never really trust them much, especially not when they call the few inches of snow "ARCTIC BLIZZARDS" as if we are struggling to open the door in the morning tongue.gif, but yeah i serously hpe this is just them scare-mongering people into thinking that north end vs chelsea might not go ahead or another of there file of plots to cause disruption amongst shoppers in Preston. Nice people down there at that paper.

But yeah, heres hoping for snow that still permits travel tongue.gif

I can consider myself one of those nice people now I wrote a piece on vegetable growing for them today.......but i dont do there weather you'll be pleased to know

Posted

well for a start shocking forecasts...good lord most of us have provided better forecasts. Upgrading and downgrading advisories when there was no need to even bother doing so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Fallen to -1.7c here now. Expecting snow tomorrow!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

well for a start shocking forecasts...good lord most of us have provided better forecasts. Upgrading and downgrading advisories when there was no need to even bother doing so.

Let's hope they don't downgrade this for Monday...

post-509-12630552609242_thumb.jpg

Posted

Another absolute spangler of a day in North West England. Got up early for a walk up Longridge Fell today, it was very cold, obviously, especially the little nibbling easterly breeze. Views were spectacular in all directions, powder snow abounded and conifer trees were bending under the weight of it all. I went over to Clitheroe this afteroon, the Hodder was frozen and even the Ribble was 2/3rds frozen. Temperatures are dropping away swiftly now under clear skies, -5 last time I looked.How some people can complain about this weather is beyond me.

Posted

Been perfect here today, more sledging this morning, a lot quicker thanksto compaction and freezing.

Clouded in with a few flakes blowing around.

Seems the forecasts are changing every four hours or so, but Sunday pm and Monday does look good.

The Arsenal game (streaming on p2p) does look very snowy, hopefully 2pts dropped

Posted

Fallen to -1.7c here now. Expecting snow tomorrow!!

lets hope it doesnt get too cold or we'll completely miss out.

Posted

Another absolute spangler of a day in North West England. Got up early for a walk up Longridge Fell today, it was very cold, obviously, especially the little nibbling easterly breeze. Views were spectacular in all directions, powder snow abounded and conifer trees were bending under the weight of it all. I went over to Clitheroe this afteroon, the Hodder was frozen and even the Ribble was 2/3rds frozen. Temperatures are dropping away swiftly now under clear skies, -5 last time I looked.How some people can complain about this weather is beyond me.

I imagine this is an absolute nightmare for the oap's. However it depends on your own definition of what consitutes this weather to you. For me, Id take snow any day of the week, forget the horrid cold 24/7 if there is no snow..there are a lot of old people who are completely housebound and we can't forget this in our own greed for bitter cold and snow

However bring on the snow lol

Posted

Hi Spurry - could you define 'interesting' ie did they mention amounts of snow??

Certainly included us when he referred to N England getting a lot and the graphics backed it up

Sorry only just saw snowdrifters screenshot....i've been away having my emotions wrecked (watching Everton have victory cruelly ripped away again)

Edited by Spurry

Posted

Certainly included us when he referred to N England getting a lot and the graphics backed it up

There is potential here to dump 3 or 4 times what we have had over the next couple of days..the only down factor crippling this will be how cold it gets.

Posted

B) B) B)

Edited by Spurry

Posted

Sorry only just saw snowdrifters screenshot....i've been away having my emotions wrecked (watching Everton have victory cruelly ripped away again)

Can't believe those goals either....should have gone 3-1 up as well!! Loving the snow and COYB!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

looking at the current setup, i can't see much of the Northwest missing out on some snowfall during the next day or so.

it's more a question of who gets what and if nothing changes i think that by Monday morning shovels will again be in use.

i do feel though that altitude will play a bigger part this time with high ground, certainly in the more Southern Parts of the region taking the brunt of the snow.

all that said, downgrade has followed upgrade and so on during the period leading up to this event so even subtle changes may make all the difference.

only time will tell.

Ian

Posted

I'll be very surprised if we get 7 inches (of snow :wallbash:) here again, but you never know. We have now had since December 21st 13 days with lying snow.

BBC 5 dayer for Preston - Dry tomorrow, Sleet on Monday, light snow Tuesday sunny on Wednesday. Minimum temp -4c max temp 1c.

Meto forecast for Preston - Snow tomorrow, Sleet on Monday day, snow Monday night & Tuesday.

Edited by Snow free zone