Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

We're back in the meto advisories folks...

I'm not going to get my hopes up, but it does look a little more promising for our area later on tomorrow. As for today, we've had the odd light flurry here and there, but it's cleared up a lot in the east now, so probably nothing more noticeable until later on tomorrow. Then next week the focus shifts on how far the low might come in from the South West. Could be interesting times ahead again.

Posted

I'm not going to get my hopes up, but it does look a little more promising for our area later on tomorrow. As for today, we've had the odd light flurry here and there, but it's cleared up a lot in the east now, so probably nothing more noticeable until later on tomorrow. Then next week the focus shifts on how far the low might come in from the South West. Could be interesting times ahead again.

true,i think its a case of wait and see what happensunknw.gif

temp -0.1

clear

winds calm

no sign of any showers here today

Posted

The FAX are still adamant of snow for the North West for Sunday, especially so on Monday and Tuesday and the GFS seem reasonably happy that the -850 temperature will be cold enough for some decent snow on Monday in particular. If only that pool of -10 hovered over us until after Wednesday.... Argh!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Interesting - MetO going for snow Sunday, Monday and Wednesday!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow!!!

I think there's a lot of forecasting folk covering their backs atm, more so they cant be grollocked if it does arrive...but they can thumb their noses if it does...unsurprisingly, but irksome for all of us agog at the prospect of further ppn...

heaps warmer here last night, marginal ppn today that I saw just added a light dusting to the very powdery stuff now lying. it was like walking through sand yesterday - hard work for the kids and very easy to sweat and freeze. No bins emptied and occasional visits from a postie who hasnt been issued safety gear...like snow chains etc.

Hens appear to be doing better - eggs today!

But am seriously hopeful that we do get another pasting, but watching Rob McElwee last night he was clear that the forecasts will frequently change over the coming days...so the're clear about um, not being clear. :(

raintoday shows a lot of stuff braking at the pennines...doh them darn hills! :(

Posted

MetO, Beeb and NW all saying thre is long spell of light snow due... slowly slowly build up snowee lolol

is this for today?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

A couple of times this week my sensor which is on a nrth facing fence has been reading max temps of over +2c which i couldn't really fathom out ....i've just solved it, the bright sun has been reflecting off the windows of my south facing house straight on to the sensor ..today itwas +1.6c, the sun moved and the sensor was in the shade again and dropped to -0.2c in 5mins ...i think i need to move the sensor

Posted

-0.1c not a cloud in the sky.

Posted

LCC received a delivery of salt last night and they don't know when they are getting anymore :cc_confused: they are banking on the snow tomorrow being a non event because if it does snow then they will run out. Looking round today there's plenty of cloud to the east of here but its fizzling out over the Longridge area, at the moment its dry and sunny with a temp of -0.3c.

I seriously hope this is a rumour. Its extremely important i can get to the city centre on monday morning.

-0.1c not a cloud in the sky.

Thats very cold for the western fringes of NW England.You really have had a great week there BT,week long cold spells in your location with lots of lying snow are VERY rare.

Essentially you will be in the same boat as the rest of us next week mate,it will become increasingly marginal again after tomorrow.

fingers crossed lets all hope we keep right side of marginal until it settles down again next weekend.

:0

Posted

Hi everyone,

Been reading the site for a while but only registered today.

I was still up at 1.45am and we had light snow in Maghull just north of Liverpool, near Ormskirk.

I can't wait to see if we get more this weekend, but only after we have been out to get some shopping later on!!

biggrin.gif

Jenn

Hi Jenny

I was a 'lurker' for a long time before I joined. You have to hit the ground running in here because it's very busy! Although I'm an amateur I have learned such a lot just from reading the posts and I rely on the NW boards for my weather forecasts instead of the TV!

LiverBird

Posted

Thats very cold for the western fringes of NW England.You really have had a great week there BT,week long cold spells in your location with lots of lying snow are VERY rare.

Essentially you will be in the same boat as the rest of us next week mate,it will become increasingly marginal again after tomorrow.

fingers crossed lets all hope we keep right side of marginal until it settles down again next weekend.

:0

I sure hope so.

-1.0c now.

Posted

-0.5 here in sunny (at the moment) Norbreck, got down to -7c last night early on then warmed to -4c. I can see snow clouds to the North East of me passsing over the distant pennines, does anyone think they well reach here, if the wind direction is right of course!!

Edited now clouding over above me!!

Edited by seasider

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Hi everyone,

Been reading the site for a while but only registered today.

I was still up at 1.45am and we had light snow in Maghull just north of Liverpool, near Ormskirk.

I can't wait to see if we get more this weekend, but only after we have been out to get some shopping later on!!

biggrin.gif

Jenn

welcome Jenny - think you started how many of us did - just watching what was going on and trying to learn a few bits n bobs

hope you find this place fun and useful

V

Posted

From Liverpool City Council website - looks like they're expecting more snow......

"There are sufficient grit supplies to continue gritting the major roads network over the weekend to tackle freezing conditions. There will also be further gritting of bus routes and danger spots.

On Thursday, the city received 130 tonnes of rock salt and a further 40 tonnes from British Salt, with more supplies expected to arrive on Monday.

Teams of staff will be working until 10pm tonight clearing ice and snow from pavements at bus and rail stations, priority pavements in the city centre and district shopping centres and at pedestrian crossings. They will start again at 4am tomorrow."

Posted

I seriously hope this is a rumour. Its extremely important i can get to the city centre on monday morning.

Have a look at this link LEP Now i know its the LEP but there may be an element of truth in it.

Posted

Interesting - MetO going for snow Sunday, Monday and Wednesday!

Just watching the arsenal v everton game live, and its snowing quite moderatly down there.

We might get some snow on the back edge, right now tho i wouldnt trust the meto to make me a cup of coffee I am not happy with the service they have provided this winter season.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

max temp today -2.0c

now fallen back to -2.5c

stunning day here, been for a walk up in the hills near loweswater when i got the top could really feel the wind chill.

just seen the met office warning, 10-20cm and drifting!! thats a turn around!!

Edited by james12

Posted

Have a look at this link LEP Now i know its the LEP but there may be an element of truth in it.

Well i never really trust them much, especially not when they call the few inches of snow "ARCTIC BLIZZARDS" as if we are struggling to open the door in the morning :wallbash:, but yeah i serously hpe this is just them scare-mongering people into thinking that north end vs chelsea might not go ahead or another of there file of plots to cause disruption amongst shoppers in Preston. Nice people down there at that paper.

But yeah, heres hoping for snow that still permits travel :p