Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

A strange thing has happened might be to the wind direction as it was NE but now NW again,but across the central slice as seen on XC the temps have gone higher and it`s still clear -2.7c here and it was -5.5c before that.

http://xcweather.co.uk/

Looks like those snow showers have missed here,but more to the NE.

Posted

Anyone see moreton in marsh on news 24 regarding the weather about lunchtime ?

Posted

Is this chart really that bad:

post-1800-12629878152842_thumb.gif

It comes from the South, so is surely going to effect most of us.

METO website, for Derby at least, going for light snow Sunday day, Sunday night and Monday day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Why so negative all the time?

There are oppurtunities over the next few days. Sunday will bring the risk of snow particularly in the evening and during Monday. A breakdown isnt secured yet. Enjoy the ride but chin up becuase so many comments seem to make ot 'over' all the time.

GFS 18Z seems to be bringing Precip further North which is good for us! Lets hope it stays that way.

yeah gfs looks good, always has sun-mon, bbc and meto maybe downplaying it? clearly shows front making it well north on fax charts, snow should spread north later on sunday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Is this chart really that bad:

post-1800-12629878152842_thumb.gif

It comes from the South, so is surely going to effect most of us.

METO website, for Derby at least, going for light snow Sunday day, Sunday night and Monday day.

Indeed and to me much of the Midlands should see something.

I know i shouldnt realy say this but even the BBC maps have snow for us fro much of the day Sunday, Sunday Night and Monday. Maybe the North Midlands will be drier at times but even here should see some snowfall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

yeah gfs looks good, always has sun-mon, bbc and meto maybe downplaying it? clearly shows front making it well north on fax charts, snow should spread north later on sunday

Thats the spirit. :(:D

Of course there is a bit of time for change as the 18z has shown but i am quite confident we will all see something. :)

Posted

Sunday`s going to be probably one the best day of this cold spell for me with powdery snow small flakes with grains and drifting. :D

http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/brack1.gif

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

I've got some pics of Shrewsbury & surrounding areas with LOTS of snow from that winter!!!

The pics I've seen of Shrewsbury in that winter suggest about 15-20cm was lying in mid-Feb, that after nearly 2 months of snowfalls when many areas had 50cm+ by then. Seems that however cold the winter, this town nearly always ends up with less than most areas, that is when it manages to snow at all (often we miss it altogether or it doesn't settle when most of the Midlands and Wales gets a covering).

The worst one I can remember was Feb 1996 when Shrewsbury only got 2 inches (despite the front hanging around over the W Midlands for 12-18 hours) while Oswestry got a foot and Telford and Birmingham about 6 inches.

Posted

Why so negative all the time?

There are oppurtunities over the next few days. Sunday will bring the risk of snow particularly in the evening and during Monday. A breakdown isnt secured yet. Enjoy the ride but chin up becuase so many comments seem to make ot 'over' all the time.

GFS 18Z seems to be bringing Precip further North which is good for us! Lets hope it stays that way.

10011012_0818.gif

As Blizzards says its all still to play for!!!!! Latest NAE shows precip further north... I really dont know why people are so negative all the time??? I posted earlier about things changing as they did in the snow event earlier in the week. Theres still lots that can change its a complicated setup and we should be prepared for last minute switchrounds..

Posted

10011018_0818.gif

Some snow in the Midlands and rain in the S/E hhmmmmmm nonono.gif Cue wrist slitting if this were to verify for our southern friends !!!!!!!!!!

Posted

Thanks for that Jukebox, quite a conflict then because the METO output suggests a dry and sunny day for Sunday for here, whereas if the NAE model were to come off then we would at the very least see the cloud from the front ?

but does it, because bbc and meto give Stafford light snow sun and mon, gfs has precip north of here, question is though really if the front is too weak, snizzle maybe, but gfs gives heavier stuff

oh and Ian how did you do march 12th 2006, missed the snow here :wub: , worst weather day ever

Edited by mark forster 630

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!

hi camperstron,just love weather and what a great website.cant stop looking at the comments all the time.where are u in brum?good.gif

harborne, just up the road from you LOL!!

Posted

Thanks for that Jukebox, quite a conflict then because the METO output suggests a dry and sunny day for Sunday for here, whereas if the NAE model were to come off then we would at the very least see the cloud from the front ?

The meto just want that to happen as they,ve nicked all our grit for down south and if they try and convince us we wont get any snow then they'll think they can nick the rest tomorrowwhistling.gif Seriously if the NAE charts verify then I think there will just be light snow showers in the day then maybe more prolonged heavier stuff during the night If you notice the track of the wind direction there is plenty of precip for it to push through and I think that tomorrow it will be even further north as it did during the last spell when the snow was progged for the south east and the Manchester area and south southern central areas nicked it all at the last minute..

Posted

We got very little mate - I was in Manchester overnight Saturday and they got wet snow then I got back here and we had the slightest of dustings - all the action was that bit further West. Not like that belting period in your sig !

what you mean my favourite weather day Nov 19th 1996? amazing

Posted

I think we have discussed the Feb 96 event before and I'm astonished at the lack of snow in Shrews given that there were 6/7 inches here and the set-up favoured those further West - I remember the company I worked for at the time having a branch in Wrexham and one of the people walking to work in massive drifts.

I have mentioned it as a monumental letdown here before on this forum; I wonder if there's any radar images from that day available to show it? It was only a 10-mile radius of Shrewsbury that missed the heavy snow that time, not most of Shropshire as with this current cold snap. Wrexham had about 12 inches I believe.

The Staffordshire folk on here often go on about November 1996; that gave us a princely 2cm which lasted one day.....

Posted

Clear sky gave a very good satellite pass today, the link(s) below should really have zero members in the 'no snow' club:

Low Res:

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/subsets/?subset=Europe_2_01.2010008.terra.2km'>http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/subsets/?subset=Europe_2_01.2010008.terra.2km

Hi Res:

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/subsets/?subset=Europe_2_01.2010008.terra.500m'>http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/subsets/?subset=Europe_2_01.2010008.terra.500m

Very High res:

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/subsets/?subset=Europe_2_01.2010008.terra.250m'>http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/subsets/?subset=Europe_2_01.2010008.terra.250m

Images used from:

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/

------

Had more snow about 2 hours ago, gave another dusting to areas that had cleared by the sun and grit etc..

-3.2°C outside, well above the past two nights outside temps.

(Anyone want a BBQ?) :clap:

Posted

Clear sky gave a very good satellite pass today, the link(s) below should really have zero members in the 'no snow' club:

Low Res:

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/subsets/?subset=Europe_2_01.2010008.terra.2km'>http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/subsets/?subset=Europe_2_01.2010008.terra.2km

Hi Res:

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/subsets/?subset=Europe_2_01.2010008.terra.500m'>http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/subsets/?subset=Europe_2_01.2010008.terra.500m

Very High res:

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/subsets/?subset=Europe_2_01.2010008.terra.250m'>http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/subsets/?subset=Europe_2_01.2010008.terra.250m

Images used from:

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/

------

Had more snow about 2 hours ago, gave another dusting to areas that had cleared by the sun and grit etc..

-3.2°C outside, well above the past two nights outside temps.

(Anyone want a BBQ?) :(

Looking closely at that (and the NASA shot that's in all the papers) it seems one area that does have no snow is coastal west Cumbria-after all they went through in November that really is totally unfair :yahoo:

Posted
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl

The pics I've seen of Shrewsbury in that winter suggest about 15-20cm was lying in mid-Feb, that after nearly 2 months of snowfalls when many areas had 50cm+ by then. Seems that however cold the winter, this town nearly always ends up with less than most areas, that is when it manages to snow at all (often we miss it altogether or it doesn't settle when most of the Midlands and Wales gets a covering).

The worst one I can remember was Feb 1996 when Shrewsbury only got 2 inches (despite the front hanging around over the W Midlands for 12-18 hours) while Oswestry got a foot and Telford and Birmingham about 6 inches.

Dec 81/Jan82 brought the best for Snow in Shropshire - repeated atlantic fronts which didnt make it through so cold was retained........read some articles on this and the pics are amazing - Bridgnorth road was totally blocked.

Atlantic Breakdowns always seem to bring the best snowfalls for the West Midlands/staffs/shropshire but it never hangs around more than a few days due to eventual milder weather coming in (apart from 81 when it appears it didnt).....................this could happen later next week! its always a marginal affair.

Personally id rather have 1 week of blizzards and 30cms falls then 4 weeks of snow flurries and 5cms tbh.......sunday, looking at the models we are going to get prolonged light snow which will give us a couple of cms at most??

Jan 87, December 1990 and Feb 96 stand out in my mind as the best snow events in the west over the last 25 years. Also that fairly freak march event in 95 was a good one - only predicted at the last minute but North of Birmingham got 6 inches in a short space of time - I can remember cars getting abandoned in Sedgley that night.

Feb 91 was the only occasion when Easterlies brought major snow that I can remember - most other times have been small affairs similar to what we have now.

I WANT BIG SNOWFALLS GRRRRRRRRRRR lol.

Edited by mozza81

Posted

Dec 81/Jan82 brought the best for Snow in Shropshire - repeated atlantic fronts which didnt make it through so cold was retained........read some articles on this and the pics are amazing - Bridgnorth road was totally blocked.

Atlantic Breakdowns always seem to bring the best snowfalls for the West Midlands/staffs/shropshire but it never hangs around more than a few days due to eventual milder weather coming in (apart from 81 when it appears it didnt).....................this could happen later next week! its always a marginal affair.

Personally id rather have 1 week of blizzards and 30cms falls then 4 weeks of snow flurries and 5cms tbh.......sunday, looking at the models we are going to get prolonged light snow which will give us a couple of cms at most??

Jan 87, December 1990 and Feb 96 stand out in my mind as the best snow events in the west over the last 25 years. Also that fairly freak march event in 95 was a good one - only predicted at the last minute but North of Birmingham got 6 inches in a short space of time - I can remember cars getting abandoned in Sedgley that night.

Feb 91 was the only occasion when Easterlies brought major snow that I can remember - most other times have been small affairs similar to what we have now.

I WANT BIG SNOWFALLS GRRRRRRRRRRR lol.

We got a reasonable (2-4") amount from easterlies here in Feb 94, late Jan 96 and New Year 96/7; but yes the "mild air from the west hitting cold air" scenario does seem to work the best for this area. Trouble is, it only ever seems to work in March (1995, 2001, best of all 12th March 2006); in Jan and Feb it seems to either turn to rain very soon or start as rain or sleet.

Posted

We got a reasonable (2-4") amount from easterlies here in Feb 94, late Jan 96 and New Year 96/7; but yes the "mild air from the west hitting cold air" scenario does seem to work the best for this area. Trouble is, it only ever seems to work in March (1995, 2001, best of all 12th March 2006); in Jan and Feb it seems to either turn to rain very soon or start as rain or sleet.

I always remember as a kid when going to visit my Auntie in winters it was often raining/sleeting in Shrewsbury then things always seemed to get more wintry as soon as you got out of the town and Telford was then always snow covered.

However for this cold spell thus far we have done the worst, Telford fairs best from a very specific angle of North Westerly such as Early March 2006 so it would be nice if we do get a proper North Westerly at some point this winter as the ones so far have always veered WNW driving the snow showers through Manchester/Leek area instead.

Had nothing more than a few flurries in the wind this evening and a much milder night now due to increased cloud.