Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Just had a light snow flurry.

Got some of the longest icicles I`ve seen hanging from the back of our house roof,

one or 2 almost reaching the ground :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Just had a light snow flurry.

Got some of the longest icicles I`ve seen hanging from the back of our house roof,

one or 2 almost reaching the ground :whistling:

Get us some pics :D

Posted

I always remember as a kid when going to visit my Auntie in winters it was often raining/sleeting in Shrewsbury then things always seemed to get more wintry as soon as you got out of the town and Telford was then always snow covered.

However for this cold spell thus far we have done the worst, Telford fairs best from a very specific angle of North Westerly such as Early March 2006 so it would be nice if we do get a proper North Westerly at some point this winter as the ones so far have always veered WNW driving the snow showers through Manchester/Leek area instead.

Had nothing more than a few flurries in the wind this evening and a much milder night now due to increased cloud.

We haven't had a thing tonight, not a flake, nada- now I'm wishing this cloud would get lost so we can have another -10. It really is amazing how little snow Telford has had in this cold spell- normally it's only Shrewsbury that misses out but this time it's Telford and a good chunk of north Shropshire (around Shawbury seems to have had even less than here) as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!

Oh im in harborne lol...whereabouts are u?? We tend to do well here in snow event due to our increased height above sea level

Near the swimming baths - how are the roads where you are? It's a nightmare round here!

Posted

Had some half decent showers lately that have deposited 1-2cm of snow, I guess on the grass that might almost make 6cm in my part of town. Difficult to gauge because there is a good 1cm or more of ice at the bottom. Still lagging well behind most areas of the UK. My sister who lives on the southern outskirts of Middlesbrough has had more than a foot, and probably more than 20 days of snow lying.

Anyhoo, looks a bit better outside now in relatively snowless East Northants.

Oh, and now I have to move to the "3 Counties" thread, apparently. So cheerio Midlands, an executive decision has moved me elsewhere.

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted

Showers pushing in over the east mids atm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Just hammered it down here, I tracked the shower on the radar (because i'm sad) and it just gave us 10 mins of heavy snow, gave 1cm in such a short time, it was almost blizzard conditions!

Posted

Yep that one hit you bang on, reckon they will get west of birmingham andy?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Yep that one hit you bang on, reckon they will get west of birmingham andy?

We got extremely lucky with that! The shower was only about a 4 mile radius in size and it gave us a direct hit.

If I am honest i think the showers MAY just get past Brum before dying. I think early in the morning like 6am-ish the showers that are near The Wash area now will make their way inland towards the East Midlands then Central areas and I would expect them to still be in one piece by the time they hit Brum but probably won't be as heavy.

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted

We got extremely lucky with that! The shower was only about a 4 mile radius in size and it gave us a direct hit.

If I am honest i think the showers MAY just get past Brum before dying. I think early in the morning like 6am-ish the showers that are near The Wash area now will make their way inland towards the East Midlands then Central areas and I would expect them to still be in one piece by the time they hit Brum but probably won't be as heavy.

Cheers, ye those showers look pretty decent. Shower that hit you seems to be holding up atm and heading towards me. See if it makes it.. :good:

Posted

Incredible scenes here... constant heavy snow showers throughout the nice and they look like continuing for a while yet! 9cm's level snow away from the town centre and some fantastic drifts... offically the best winter in terms of accumilated snowfall and temperatures in my lifetime.

Posted

Incredible scenes here... constant heavy snow showers throughout the nice and they look like continuing for a while yet! 9cm's level snow away from the town centre and some fantastic drifts... offically the best winter in terms of accumilated snowfall and temperatures in my lifetime.

Just woke up to a lovely fresh covering of Snow in Leicestershire and the radar shows plenty more showers to come . My only concern is the Met office are playing down SUN/MON and I can not think why as the setup looks perfect.

Posted

Heavy snow :cold: Where d'at come from :cold:

Don't think we had any more since stopping about 8-9pm last night, but those showers moving inland (so far) look fantastic. They really have been penetrating very well inland, and it is currently slightly snowing here, Wasn't expecting this this morning.

Interesting that Sky News have a ticker saying (along the lines of, but not exactly) "More snow expected over the next few days for the midlands"

But then they had up until about Christmas the ticker story on the live leaders debate. That news was so old, that the snow/midlands ticker story is probably from Feb09!

Just woke up to a lovely fresh covering of Snow in Leicestershire and the radar shows plenty more showers to come . My only concern is the Met office are playing down SUN/MON and I can not think why as the setup looks perfect.

I think they did this for the Midlands Tuesday event, took down the warnings, and only put them up x hours before the event. Could quite likely be flash warnings as they monitor its movement and intensity as it moves north.

Ohhh...snows stopped too.

Edit - Major difference on the UKMO on todays 00z compared to yesterdays 12z.

The major band tomorrow (which BTW now has a trough moving over the s/w) now looks like stalling over the English Channel. If the 00z is to be believed, Monday looks much more promising for the Midlands.

However, we are still >T+24 for the event (here). It wasn't even meant to snow here today, on last nights forecasts, so shows how very quickly these things can change.

Edited by Shiny_Bottom_1

Posted

Heavy snow :cold: Where d'at come from :cold:

Don't think we had any more since stopping about 8-9pm last night, but those showers moving inland (so far) look fantastic. They really have been penetrating very well inland, and it is currently slightly snowing here, Wasn't expecting this this morning.

Interesting that Sky News have a ticker saying (along the lines of, but not exactly) "More snow expected over the next few days for the midlands"

But then they had up until about Christmas the ticker story on the live leaders debate. That news was so old, that the snow/midlands ticker story is probably from Feb09!

I think they did this for the Midlands Tuesday event, took down the warnings, and only put them up x hours before the event. Could quite likely be flash warnings as they monitor its movement and intensity as it moves north.

Ohhh...snows stopped too.

I feel that they are concentrating to much on the front moving North and forgetting about the convective showers that are going to move inland from the North Sea on such a tight Easterly Flow. Looking at the current position of the High pressure from this morning onwards we should see this chain of Showers continuing for the next 3 days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

I feel that they are concentrating to much on the front moving North and forgetting about the convective showers that are going to move inland from the North Sea on such a tight Easterly Flow. Looking at the current position of the High pressure from this morning onwards we should see this chain of Showers continuing for the next 3 days.

I agree, but even if the front moves north over us then wouldnt it give snow for us all anyway??

Im pretty sure it wouldnt be rain after that , dont think it looks like turning to wed/thurs

Comments pls!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and i nearly forgot . . .

I woke up this morning at 6am to heavy snow , and has been heavy snow showers ever since , i have nearly an inch of new snow since yesterday , and where i live is in a valey so the higher ground such as solihull 9miles of hear would have done very well

Edited by shaun wilmer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

snowing lightly the last 20 mins, not lasting but unexpected, would have left a dusting everywhere, give a thin top up to existing snow, min temp -5.2C, not as cold as last 2 nights

Posted

I agree, but even if the front moves north over us then wouldnt it give snow for us all anyway??

Im pretty sure it wouldnt be rain after that , dont think it looks like turning to wed/thurs

Comments pls!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and i nearly forgot . . .

I woke up this morning at 6am to heavy snow , and has been heavy snow showers ever since , i have nearly an inch of new snow since yesterday , and where i live is in a valey so the higher ground such as solihull 9miles of hear would have done very well

I would rather have the Showers then the Front , in this setup in Leicester the Showers usually come very intense . Sunday 6pm looks to me that it will have very Intense Showers because at that time the flow is directly Easterly you could draw a straight line with a ruler it is so direct.

Posted

Got a little flurry coming down now in Nottingham - looking at the radar we may have had some overnight, explains why there looks to be a little more snow cover about. :D

Posted

Got a little flurry coming down now in Nottingham - looking at the radar we may have had some overnight, explains why there looks to be a little more snow cover about. :whistling:

Yep all the patches that were disturbed have been freshly covered here, I can't believe I went to bed early and missed it all. A little more Tesco Value stuff about to hit you I believe by latest radar. :)

Here right now we have Reduced asda smart price Snow nearing it's sell by date :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

We had a fresh sprinkling over night after my husband ame home from work (11pm) because his car was covered today.

Now got quite a heavy shower again too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

seems an upgrade on bbc weather Alex deakin, bbc video, snow definitely making it even north of here, reminds me of 2nd Feb 09, snow moving in from SE, and as then as expected most to the SE

Posted

We had a fresh sprinkling over night after my husband ame home from work (11pm) because his car was covered today.

Now got quite a heavy shower again too.

yep|! fresh sprinkling here too! not snowing here tho

Posted

Yep all the patches that were disturbed have been freshly covered here, I can't believe I went to bed early and missed it all. A little more Tesco Value stuff about to hit you I believe by latest radar. :)

Here right now we have Reduced asda smart price Snow nearing it's sell by date :)

We've got a fairly well used road within sight of the house, by the fact that there's fresh lying snow on it means there's something! I think it could be said that we've got 2 inches here now, could increase with the snow showers, maybe even more tomorrow. The uni are starting to come under pressure to postpone our exams, people just can't get back to Nottingham, and even people here are saying that walking to uni is dangerous!

Yeah, I think these snow showers are something us in the East Midlands are gonna have to get used to today! :whistling: Even if they are Tesco Value (though Sainsbury's Basics is perfectly fine)!

Asda Smart Price? :nonono: How could you... :bad: