Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

3 Counties & E Anglia Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Where in cheshire? i'm not a native of Northants, i come from Gods country Bolton whistling.gif

Wife and Children are Northamptonians.

I love the North, I plan to move up there one day!

Relatives live in the Alderly Edge area. However, to further confuse things, I was born in Scotland!!

To get back on topic, do you think the Beeb may be playing Sat/Sun down? I am supposed to go to Birmingham tomorrow (by train) and I am concerned about returning home on Sunday.

Edited by ickledoozer

Posted

Right i've had a look at the models and I have a rough idea of what will happen. Im sure everyone is familiar with the Met O radar and I shall use this as a guide for the intensity of the snowfall.

The fun and games begin during Saturday evening. Now intially for much of Saturday evening/sunday morning our precitation is going to be mainly light (blues on Met O radar). Now the reason the SE could see heavier snowfall is due to the ENE,ly flow enhancing the snowfall, although the NAE has backed off somewhat of heavy snow in the SE. Now during Sunday afternoon the wind veers to the E and what the models are suggesting is the heavier snow moves N. This again is due to the winds veering E,ly meaning the snowfall is enhanced due to the long fetch across the sea. Now the 18Z actually moves this snow as far N as N England but based on all the runs I have seen our region looks likely to see heavy snow. This heavy snow is likely to continue into Sunday night before we see this becoming lighter. Again the reason for this is due to the winds veering SE,ly so we lose the effects of the N sea.

Overall very difficult to predict snowfall amounts but this period does look likely to bring persistant snow. Now even if it falls at 1cm an hr the fact that we could see 24/36 hrs of snow makes large snowfall amounts possible. I do feel that snowfall amount could vary hugely across the region because whilst some are experiencing blue patches on the radar others could see spells of green. Im afraid its a case of radar watching.

I will finally add that the NAE/GFS indicate rather widespread light snow tomorrow contrary to the BBC forecasts.

Thank you so much I think I actually can understand that. Have only recently starting taking an interest in the weather and sometimes wording here goes over my head

Thanks again

Janet

Posted

post-8647-12629896171942_thumb.txt

blob will be right over me any minute according to radar

not sure if attachment will work btw!!

If you have the image saved on your PC, go to www.tinypic.com, browse for the image and click upload, then choose the link for Forums and paste it in here :clap:

Posted

Thanks TEITS! Sounds good for us in No Mans Land then..... hopefully we will all get pasted.... 2-3fts worth!!!!!

Posted

Right i've had a look at the models and I have a rough idea of what will happen. Im sure everyone is familiar with the Met O radar and I shall use this as a guide for the intensity of the snowfall.

The fun and games begin during Saturday evening. Now intially for much of Saturday evening/sunday morning our precitation is going to be mainly light (blues on Met O radar). Now the reason the SE could see heavier snowfall is due to the ENE,ly flow enhancing the snowfall, although the NAE has backed off somewhat of heavy snow in the SE. Now during Sunday afternoon the wind veers to the E and what the models are suggesting is the heavier snow moves N. This again is due to the winds veering E,ly meaning the snowfall is enhanced due to the long fetch across the sea. Now the 18Z actually moves this snow as far N as N England but based on all the runs I have seen our region looks likely to see heavy snow. This heavy snow is likely to continue into Sunday night before we see this becoming lighter. Again the reason for this is due to the winds veering SE,ly so we lose the effects of the N sea.

Overall very difficult to predict snowfall amounts but this period does look likely to bring persistant snow. Now even if it falls at 1cm an hr the fact that we could see 24/36 hrs of snow makes large snowfall amounts possible. I do feel that snowfall amount could vary hugely across the region because whilst some are experiencing blue patches on the radar others could see spells of green. Im afraid its a case of radar watching.

I will finally add that the NAE/GFS indicate rather widespread light snow tomorrow contrary to the BBC forecasts.

Great analysis TEITS :clap: Hopefully this does pull off, It will be very wintry if it does!

Posted

I love the North, I plan to move up there one day!

Relatives live in the Alderly Edge area. However, to further confuse things, I was born in Scotland!!

:clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Milton Keynes is another area of confusion, when I lived there I was never sure were to look. Wendy Hurrell used to do the ITV forecast a few minutes after I got home from work from Norwich! Cable TV also gave me Thames regional news and the coppers had Thames Valley uniforms, never worked out where I was!

Thank goodness it's not only me who finds it confusing help.gif

Posted

typically good and understandable post.

I agree that we may have rather more during the day tomorrow than currently forecast

Posted

To get back on topic, do you think the Beeb may be playing Sat/Sun down? I am supposed to go to Birmingham tomorrow (by train) and I am concerned about returning home on Sunday.

see TEITS's fab post :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

LOL drinks.gif

Yay that thats the spirit mrs m!!

we just had a slight covering of snow here in leighton buzzard about an hour ago and we're only 40mins from you!!! def belong in this thread!!rolleyes.gif

meltz

Posted

see TEITS's fab post :yahoo:

Erm yes, I read it after I posted, concise as usual, thank you TEITS

Edited by ickledoozer

Posted

Tetis, Dave. you went against the MetO forecast the other night and said the snow would move more NE and your forecast came off.clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

10/10

Posted

Hi,

Thanks for that.

I know what to expect now (i do know that it can change 1 sec before it gets here and go around me like norm, :yahoo: ).

Thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice
http://www.mwis.org.uk/mountain/LD.PDF This is weather site that most climbers check first and suggest strong easterly winds saturday into sunday and snow showers for for southern pennines. Supports TEITS forecast for the snow to further north.

Posted

I can sympathise, My electricity supplier is Southern Electric which provide power to the South West, no wonder i'm confused! To be honest I need to lurk on all threads because I work in Surrey, my family and other half live on the Essex Coast, My relatives live in Cheshire and I am in no-mans land!!! :yahoo:

Posted earlier that my parents are still here from Cornwall from three weeks ago! I actually live next door to Heathrow and spent most of my free time in Weymouth until I discovered Norfolk about 2 1/2 years ago! When I leave work on a Friday, workmates ask me where I am off to and my brain crashes! I sort of make my mind up after i've been driving for an hour or two and have reached the M25! Norfolk is the best though. I've spent over 20 years travelling for work and this region is the best for seasons. Most snow i've ever seen at 43 years old, my 10yo has seen more than I had in my mid-twenties having grown up in Cornwall

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

It was the 'just to confuse things more' bit tongue.gif

lol lizzie!!rolleyes.gif

Posted

Great Analysis Dave!

One thing you left off though - The chance of Serious Drifting in areas exposed to the Strong Easterly wind, this could be more hazardous than the 15-20cm :yahoo: