Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

3 Counties & E Anglia Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Norwich has has an uncanny ability to avoid showers this winter.

Apparently near the coast they have quite a lot of snow showers this evening.(Gt Yarmouth way)

I live about 3 miles from Gt Yarmouth and its been snowing for most of the day, probably about 6 or 7 inches. Still keep getting heavy showers this evening. I love snow but don't really want this at the minute as my husband has got to fly out of Norwich to Khartoum on the 06.15 tomorrow, which means hes got to leave home at 04.00, does anyone know what Norwich airport and surronding roads are like?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Met Office keep stopping short of inviting Northamptonshire to their snow parties but we keep annoyingly knocking on the door. Time will tell

Posted

At last a decent heavy snow shower here. Really coming down!

Yes another great reliable member in the Thread, may I ask you your thoughts on the Saturday night Sunday Snow event for every 1 in our area please?:rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Just missed a big shower here earlier, looks like Huntingdon got it though.

Does anyone know why our EA showers are dissapearing fast, whilst other showers are penetrating far inland in other areas and keeping their strength????

TEITS any ideas? - good to see you on our new thread, you are our expert here IMO.

Posted

Had a bit of crappy powdery sleety stuff here ten minutes ago... Always splits around Norwich and then dumps on south Norfolk.

Posted

Hallelujah!!! we have snoooooowwww!!!! And big flakes too!! drinks.gifclap.gifyahoo.gif (Probably stop in 5 mins! lol)

Posted

Met Office keep stopping short of inviting Northamptonshire to their snow parties but we keep annoyingly knocking on the door. Time will tell

We are in the advisory zone for Sat & Sun.

Northamptonshire

Heavy Snow Sat 9 Jan / Sun 10 Jan

There is a moderate risk of severe weather continuing to affect East Anglia, parts of the East Midlands and Southeast England during Saturday.

Snow showers are likely to be heavy and frequent at times giving further falls of several cm in many areas. This will lead to icy stretches on roads and pavements.

There is a moderate risk of severe weather continuing to affect East Anglia, parts of the East Midlands and Southeast England during Sunday.

Further outbreaks of snow are expected, leading to icy stretches on roads and pavements. Snow is expected to ease through the course of the day.

I think it is very possibly the reason behind the thread swap! Makes sense to merge us with East Anglia given the forecast.

Posted

Feeling a bit unwanted here - don't know about you Milton Keynesites? cray.gif

((((Mrs M))))

I feel much more at home in here, the London/Kent area has such a high population, hardly any posts in that thread had any relevence (to me at least)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Cold - nothing in between thanks!

I live about 3 miles from Gt Yarmouth and its been snowing for most of the day, probably about 6 or 7 inches. Still keep getting heavy showers this evening. I love snow but don't really want this at the minute as my husband has got to fly out of Norwich to Khartoum on the 06.15 tomorrow, which means hes got to leave home at 04.00, does anyone know what Norwich airport and surronding roads are like?

From our office you could see the showers out to the East earlier - assumed Gt Yarmouth, Lowestoft & anywhere nearby would be getting pummelled

Roads in Norwich are OK under the circumstances, and the airport was running earlier (can hear the planes take off from here when having a smoke in the garden!). Guess it depends what we get overnight, we've just caught a shower here which has covered cleared areas

Edited by Whiskie the Cat

Posted

Had a bit of crappy powdery sleety stuff here ten minutes ago... Always splits around Norwich and then dumps on south Norfolk.

And you are so disappointed after seeing what it's like down south :rolleyes:

Edited by NorthNorfolkWeather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Still a lot of activity in the north sea, what is the wind like on the coast ?

Posted

Yes another great reliable member in the Thread, may I ask you your thoughts on the Saturday night Sunday Snow event for every 1 in our area please?:rolleyes:

No probs. I shall have a look at the models and post in about 1hrs time. Hopefully the NAE should be out by then.

Posted

hi all,

Always thought that North and mid Bucks with West Herts and South West Beds were in a no-mans land with weather forecasters. We dont fit in with London and SE, nor E Anglia, or even worse South Central which relates more to Southampton!!!. We are not really covered by ITV Meridian either but then ITV weather forecasts are worse than useless.

tara4now

Tringaling

Posted
I feel much more at home in here, the London/Kent area has such a high population, hardly any posts in that thread had any relevence (to me at least)

MK is only 15 miles down the road from Northampton so its make much more sense for MK forum users to post here.

Edited by rob_weiss

Posted

WE have had some decent showers tonight, if (IF) the breakdown is coming I'll be gutted that us in Northants have never really tapped into any real decent heavy stuff. dont get me wrong we've had snow low temps but we've just missed most of the heavy precip by a whisker..

Posted

And you are so disappointed after seeing what it's like down south :rolleyes:

Tbh its not as bad as they make out, at least not along the M25 to J10. I would much rather we had tons of it over the weekend and then it all goes by next Thursday as i am so behind on work its unreal. Painting cars in minus 3 really is hell.

Posted

More to come and I see they are intensifying as they come inland ...... way to go !!!

Posted

Norwich roads are not bad, they did a good job gritting today. Snow is mostly missing us at the moment on a track from the NE it goes North or South most times

Driving to work this morning radio Norfolk had a very good grip on what was happening at the airport, although at that time of morning on a Saturday you won't get that level of info.

Tell him to say hello to Terry when he gets there, my housemate Terry went out in July. Mind you, he's from Hartlepool so may not have got back out yet!

Posted

Just missed a big shower here earlier, looks like Huntingdon got it though.

Does anyone know why our EA showers are dissapearing fast, whilst other showers are penetrating far inland in other areas and keeping their strength????

TEITS any ideas? - good to see you on our new thread, you are our expert here IMO.

Funny you say that because finally the reverse is true now.

The snow shower that hit me was nothing over sea and yet intensified over land. The 12Z GFS indicated the snow showers becoming more widespread around the wash between 21.00 to 3.00am. I shall have a look and see what the 18Z suggests.

Posted

Right people, thats about 10 pages of the same rubbish about being included in this area thread. Getting abit boring now do you all agree, we are on here to discuss the snow not the bloody A to Z

Posted

im where ever Lara Lewington is on but i dont think she is anymore ,as for the weekend i think we are in for better stuff from sunday night as in good size flakes looking and the precipitation for then GFS 18 Z unless im totally wrong

Posted

Still a lot of activity in the north sea, what is the wind like on the coast ?

Cold :p

Currently only just below freezing, but the wind has picked up quite a bit, and anything that's been dropped from the sky today is just going to blow around

I usually look here when the wind's in the North East and I wnat to see what's coming in our direction. There are a couple of others as well, quite close together, so I tend to only use this when the wind is Easterly. If you double the windspeed that's approx the speed in mph if you use metric units