HEAVY SNOW!!! Yes! Really coming down here at the moment. :clap:

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I am fervently hoping that Sunday's band will produce snow over Norwich- mainly because the alternative, namely that it ends up sleety, puts us at risk of ending up with a slushy icy mess. I won't mind too much if we get a quick warm-up at some stage next week with a substantial thaw (especially if it's just temporary), but a slow warm up with sleet and/or freezing rain would surely be the worst of all worlds.

As for tonight there are plenty of snow showers starting to cluster in the North Sea and head towards Norwich now so I am quite optimistic that I could wake up to somewhere around 15cm tomorrow morning. Of course, my ultimate hope is to catch up with the Geordies in the next 2-3 days and see around 20cm.

Posted

HEAVY SNOW!!! Yes! Really coming down here at the moment. :clap:

You're only down the road, started to snow moderately here - hope to get some heavy stuff now! :D

Posted

I am fervently hoping that Sunday's band will produce snow over Norwich- mainly because the alternative, namely that it ends up sleety, puts us at risk of ending up with a slushy icy mess. I won't mind too much if we get a quick warm-up at some stage next week with a substantial thaw (especially if it's just temporary), but a slow warm up with sleet and/or freezing rain would surely be the worst of all worlds.

As for tonight there are plenty of snow showers starting to cluster in the North Sea and head towards Norwich now so I am quite optimistic that I could wake up to somewhere around 15cm tomorrow morning. Of course, my ultimate hope is to catch up with the Geordies in the next 2-3 days and see around 20cm.

Please don't mention a thaw otherwise I will have to go back to my home Town in South Shields foor more snow up on the Water Tower.

Posted
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)

I've noticed that the CAPE (Convective Available Potential Energy) has increased in the last half an hour of the NE coast of Norfolk allowing more showers to develope.

Something that TEITS & TWS have highlighted.

Edited by North Londoner

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

As North Londoner rightly says, hoping for stuff doesn't affect what the weather does. But the bottom line from me is, since there is nothing particularly mild on the horizon next week even if we get a breakdown- only less cold with a risk of sleet and freezing rain- there's absolutely no way I'll be wishing for a breakdown next week!

Posted
You're only down the road, started to snow moderately here - hope to get some heavy stuff now!

Snow has eased here now to a moderate fall. Heavy snow was brief, maybe 5 mins, but nice while it lasted. :D

Snow virtually stopped now. Damn it! :clap:

Edited by rob_weiss

Posted

Snow has eased here now to a moderate fall. Heavy snow was brief, maybe 5 mins, but nice while it lasted. :lol:

Snow virtually stopped now. Damn it! :clap:

Oh no :shok:

Got a mini blizzard in Harpole nice big flakes teehee :D

Posted

Please don't mention a thaw otherwise I will have to go back to my home Town in South Shields foor more snow up on the Water Tower.

I don't know if you're aware of this, but I come from Cleadon which is right next to Shields (indeed, might you be meaning the Water Tower up on Cleadon Hills? I went up there on 20 December 2009). Their snow depths are probably rivalling those from the February 1991 easterly by now! Btw, they are going to see a slow thaw next week, even if the cold air clings on, because the winds will be off the sea and the uppers around -5C, suggesting temps of 2-3C and sleety showers, though the snow is so deep that they'll probably still have most of it still lying come next Friday.

With a bit of luck this Sunday's event might not be too marginal and we might catch up with them.

Posted

Looking at the radar im even more convinced snow showers are going to become quiet widespread over this region in the next hr.

I want to stay up and watch this develop but being a smoker I end up smoking far too much!

Probably going to stay up till 1.30 and see what happens.

Posted

B*ll*cks to this... why do I now have to post outside the Midlands thread. Whose idea was this? I don't listen to BBC Three Counties radio, because for a start I don't receive it very well and i'm not interested in listening the commentary on the Luton and Watford matches. Why???

Thanks for lumping North Northants in with this. Grrr.

Posted

Looking at the radar im even more convinced snow showers are going to become quiet widespread over this region in the next hr.

I want to stay up and watch this develop but being a smoker I end up smoking far too much!

Probably going to stay up till 1.30 and see what happens.

Same here lol! #smoked loads in the last few days, and not had much sleep!!

Posted

I don't know if you're aware of this, but I come from Cleadon which is right next to Shields (indeed, might you be meaning the Water Tower up on Cleadon Hills? I went up there on 20 December 2009). Their snow depths are probably rivalling those from the February 1991 easterly by now! Btw, they are going to see a slow thaw next week, even if the cold air clings on, because the winds will be off the sea and the uppers around -5C, suggesting temps of 2-3C and sleety showers, though the snow is so deep that they'll probably still have most of it still lying come next Friday.

With a bit of luck this Sunday's event might not be too marginal and we might catch up with them.

Oh yes I knew you were up in Cleadon over the Xmas but did not know you were from there, Sanddancer has became Snowdancing up there lol, dont want a thaw but I suppose the country would become critical if id does last another 10 days.

Posted

B*ll*cks to this... why do I now have to post outside the Midlands thread. Whose idea was this? I don't listen to BBC Three Counties radio, because for a start I don't receive it very well and i'm not interested in listening the commentary on the Luton and Watford matches. Why???

Im sure you could post in the Midlands thread too :D

Posted

just had a light snow shower, im staying up untill around 2am, see what builds and heads this way. :D

Posted

Oh yes I knew you were up in Cleadon over the Xmas but did not know you were from there, Sanddancer has became Snowdancing up there lol, dont want a thaw but I suppose the country would become critical if id does last another 10 days.

I think you might have misread me a little- I didn't say I wanted a thaw (I had a fantastic day in the snow today- I could probably continue happily like this for a lot longer), just that I wouldn't mind one too much as long as it was quick and didn't involve days on end of ice!

Posted

Same here lol! #smoked loads in the last few days, and not had much sleep!!

Snap.

I keep telling myself I should retire to bed but then I think to myself this is why I spend hrs looking at the models. Also because Peterborough has missed out this week this is giving me even more motivation.

Another shower seems to be heading this way. Also I reckon in around 2hrs Norwich is going to get hammered!

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted

I did a status update and indulged in a bit of ramping and wishful thinking. 20cm is the (rather ambitious!) target for Norwich for tomorrow morning... but in the words of Francis Wilson, with the hit and miss nature of showers and snow streamers, "who knows?".

Realistically though I think 15cm is more likely.

Posted

I think you might have misread me a little- I didn't say I wanted a thaw (I had a fantastic day in the snow today- I could probably continue happily like this for a lot longer), just that I wouldn't mind one too much as long as it was quick and didn't involve days on end of ice!

No thats ok its just I was surprised that a thaw is forseeable when there was noting mentioned for next week, do you mean that its a thaw up in Shields only or down here? Either way I hate slow thaws during the day and icing up again at night but I should imagine its not going to rise above 3 -4 for quite a while so most likely night frosts.

I have been reading the NE forum with interest and I must confess been looking out for your posts with interest, nice to meet now on the forum, oh I hope we get a good few inchs this weekend. :drunk:

Posted

Vote with your feet mate....back to midlands?

Posted

Vote with your feet mate....back to midlands?

Dunno, was their a need for this? Depending on what regional news you watch it varies from day to day whether Northants are included on the forecasts. More often than not now Anglia exclude areas west of Cambridge, Central East put us on the map.

Posted

Only Shields is guaranteed to see a slow thaw, due to the wind off the sea.

Down here it all depends on how far north and east the Atlantic fronts get. If they get far enough to put us in warmer air, we may see 3-5C and a slow thaw, and since any such milder incursion is likely to be temporary, this is likely to freeze afterwards leading to ice. Hertford is more at risk than Norwich for this because it is further to the SW. I've also been concerned for some time about the possibility of Sunday's event being too marginal in the Norwich area which, if it turns out to be the case, may give the same result for Norwich.

If neither of those come to fruition then a week of snow cover awaits. That scenario from an IMBY perspective would mean huge amounts of fun on the UEA campus.