Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

3 Counties & E Anglia Cold Spell Discussion Part 2

Posted

Morning everyone. I was asleep during the heaviest falls woke up to find around 3 inches of fresh snow this morning in kings Lynn.

Edited by JJB McCabe-deluxe edition

Posted

its suppose to be a NE direction wind today so i have no idea why the cloud is traveling NW from france ,i know im way out of my depth here

Posted

its suppose to be a NE direction wind today so i have no idea why the cloud is traveling NW from france ,i know im way out of my depth here

the wind can blow in different directions at different altitudes, so at the height where the clouds are forming the wind could be NW while nearer the surface they can be NE...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

are we due any more heavy snow this sunday then as it seems to be 50/50 at the mo...also heard that the snowy spell will also end this weekend but staying cold for next week,but avg temps by thur/fri is this ture?

Posted

so if the main snow is coming in a NW direction then why would the weather forcast and met office say we have a NE ,i would of thought the more important wind direction would be the one bringing the weather BUT i suppose if us mortals are getting a NE thats what we need to know and the gods on Olympus only need to know about the higher levels :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

the wind can blow in different directions at different altitudes, so at the height where the clouds are forming the wind could be NW while nearer the surface they can be NE...

Yes, sometimes you can see this by looking at different cloud layers, eg shallow cumulus at a low level and at a higher level altocumulus or cirrocumulus - they can often be observed moving in different directions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

also just looked at latest radar..doesn't seem to be much happening out to the east now..but have notice the wind has now got up

Posted

The 06Z NAE shows more general snow across East Anglia, Home Counties and the Southeast

by 18.00 and then on through the night into tomorrow.

Judging by this model it does not look as fragmented as I thought it would going by what the Meto

had alluded to.

Advisories may well be updated in the next couple of hours, we shall see.

Posted

Radar showing most off the showers are to my northrolleyes.gif couple coming down from the wash but look small and will die a death before they get to Northamptonshire.

Posted

The 06Z NAE shows more general snow across East Anglia, Home Counties and the Southeast

by 18.00 and then on through the night into tomorrow.

Judging by this model it does not look as fragmented as I thought it would going by what the Meto

had alluded to.

Advisories may well be updated in the next couple of hours, we shall see.

so thats showing quite a bit of snow for the region ?

Posted

Radar showing most off the showers are to my northrolleyes.gif couple coming down from the wash but look small and will die a death before they get to Northamptonshire.

Just waht I was thinking...will have to hold out to see what happens tomorrow and into early next week :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

The big long band is intensifying on its northern edge, should be just about enough to catch Ipswich as it moves in! Snow on and off all evening/night here :wacko:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Just waht I was thinking...will have to hold out to see what happens tomorrow and into early next week smile.gif

I think we will see something this evening and overnight. That is certainly the impression that Sky News is giving at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

This is interesting. Note the recent movement of the band. I like the fact you can zoom in here too.

http://www.meteogrou...ed_kingdom.html

Edited by Speed67

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

The big long band is intensifying on its northern edge, should be just about enough to catch Ipswich as it moves in! Snow on and off all evening/night here :o

I can see it to my SE looking very threatening as it creeps slowly closer even though the wind is in the NE lets hope it keeps coming!

Posted

also just looked at latest radar..doesn't seem to be much happening out to the east now..but have notice the wind has now got up

Just looked at teleweer radar, that shows a big blob making landfall around 1pm, don't know if will clip Norwich, but looks good for here and further south.

Edited by ribster

Posted

Lovely and sunny here, partly cloudy but actually quite nice out there when you brave it, ive just been out with my son.

So, as most areas of ppn seem south and NW of me here in Norwich, what is this talk of heavy snow this evening and into tomorrow?

Posted

PPN showing out in north sea on Meteox radar, could but large enough to penetrate further inland to us snow starved people.

-6deg c last night, still-1.8 here.

Posted

I can see it to my SE looking very threatening as it creeps slowly closer even though the wind is in the NE lets hope it keeps coming!

Latest radar showed the progression northwards to end, and a more Westerly shift - would be ok for you, but a teeny weeny bit too south for Ipswich..let's wait and see :blink:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

so if the main snow is coming in a NW direction then why would the weather forcast and met office say we have a NE ,i would of thought the more important wind direction would be the one bringing the weather BUT i suppose if us mortals are getting a NE thats what we need to know and the gods on Olympus only need to know about the higher levels :blink:

i was thinking its a NE wind ahead of what looks like a front moving NW

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Latest radar showed the progression northwards to end, and a more Westerly shift - would be ok for you, but a teeny weeny bit too south for Ipswich..let's wait and see :blink:

Here's 2 pics one looking SE and the other NE

post-4676-12630358470342_thumb.jpg

post-4676-12630358616342_thumb.jpg

The first one is looking SE at the snow band which is hopefully coming this way :p

Posted

The big long band is intensifying on its northern edge, should be just about enough to catch Ipswich as it moves in! Snow on and off all evening/night here :blink:

I'd noticed that too Davie, where in town are you btw? I'm on the western side and we've had about 4 inches overall here, I've heard from people at work that out towards the east of town its more like 8inches, swines!

Posted

I'd noticed that too Davie, where in town are you btw? I'm on the western side and we've had about 4 inches overall here, I've heard from people at work that out towards the east of town its more like 8inches, swines!

Hi Im west Ipswich too - north west ...and yes we have about 4 inches as well.....Kesgrave, east Ipswich and Felixstowe had in excess of 8 inches...It was down to an area of ppn that moved down the other night...we only caught the edge this side of town, but they were in the very heavy snow the whole time. Damn them! ha

Anyway, my first fear proves wrong..the band is still moving in, and still intensifying on its northern edge so the snow should be falling again soon

Just saw latest BBC, they very keen on 10 to 15cm of snow tonight across EA and SE...moving into Kent and heading north apparently?! Interesting times ahead tonight