Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

3 Counties & E Anglia Cold Spell Discussion Part 2

Posted

I did a status update and indulged in a bit of ramping and wishful thinking. 20cm is the (rather ambitious!) target for Norwich for tomorrow morning... but in the words of Francis Wilson, with the hit and miss nature of showers and snow streamers, "who knows?".

Realistically though I think 15cm is more likely.

Come again?

I ain't been on here today.......and I know Dave said we would get some snow (and he should know!), but 15 cm on top of the few that remain over the past few days?

Wow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I have 10cm on the UEA campus (presumably either UEA caught some localised showers or the urban heat island has taken its toll within parts of Norwich City) so 20cm total would require 10cm to fall tonight here.

Posted

Only Shields is guaranteed to see a slow thaw, due to the wind off the sea.

Down here it all depends on how far north and east the Atlantic fronts get. If they get far enough to put us in warmer air, we may see 3-5C and a slow thaw, and since any such milder incursion is likely to be temporary, this is likely to freeze afterwards leading to ice. Hertford is more at risk than Norwich for this because it is further to the SW. I've also been concerned for some time about the possibility of Sunday's event being too marginal in the Norwich area which, if it turns out to be the case, may give the same result for Norwich.

If neither of those come to fruition then a week of snow cover awaits. That scenario from an IMBY perspective would mean huge amounts of fun on the UEA campus.

We eagerly await and hope we get a good covering, shall be on here most of the day and night tomorrow I'm hooked just like a fish off the pier on this forum.

Posted

I have 10cm on the UEA campus (presumably either UEA caught some localised showers or the urban heat island has taken its toll within parts of Norwich City) so 20cm total would require 10cm to fall tonight here.

Ah, with you - thought for a (albeit very happy) moment you meant 15/20cm tonight, to fall from the sky!

Still, another 10cm is still not to be sniffed at!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Bear in mind that 10cm is a hopecast and 5cm is more what I'm expecting as an average across the Norwich area. Still, you never know with showers- up in Cleadon we had 12cm in the space of 14 hours leading up to 11am on New Year's Day.

Posted

Bear in mind that 10cm is a hopecast and 5cm is more what I'm expecting as an average across the Norwich area. Still, you never know with showers- up in Cleadon we had 12cm in the space of 14 hours leading up to 11am on New Year's Day.

5cm on the ground is worth 10cm in the sky...........

Posted

Off to lamp post watch from my bed :D Night alllazy.gif Hoping to wake up to a good covering in the morning x

Posted

Im not sure if im talking to myself if others have gone to bed. However im staying up for this next cluster of snow showers which appear to be the heaviest so far.

Looking at the radar I wouldn't be surprised if Peterborough goes from having 0.3cm of lying snow at 9pm to 10cm by 6am!

Posted

Im not sure if im talking to myself if others have gone to bed. However im staying up for this next cluster of snow showers which appear to be the heaviest so far.

Looking at the radar I wouldn't be surprised if Peterborough goes from having 0.3cm of lying snow at 9pm to 10cm by 6am!

Yep your talking on the forum yourself lol good luck they certainly look lively none here though but good radar watching.

Posted

Knocking on our door now. The sky has turned that lovely orange.

Oo that looks like they will just pass north of Wellingborough. Maybe some more out off the Norfolk coast a bit further south might make it to ours. We had the dregs off the last decent Peterborough shower but it looks like the track is more ENErly now rather than NErly. At least Sat pm into Monday is looking promising. Though sheer depth is fun, for me if there's more than about 10cm and it's the crisp dry stuff that sparkles and packs hard, dry and crunchy underfoot rather than melting, that's perfect. Would of course settle for 40cm of it too! smile.gif For your last forecast this evening you deserve a dumping!

Mmm some pepping up south of where yours sprung from. If they can just make it all the way across...

Edited by Nick B

Posted

Suffolk's in - thanks! Does this mean we have to be nice to people from Norfolk? Even Norwich? :cold:

Around 3 to 4 cm of snow overnight and currently -2C. The wind is picking up a little at 15mph.

John

Posted

Morning all,

Well Ipswich certainly has had a bit of snow overnight, not sure on how much, but IMO it has now brought our overall level up to what we recieved in December....

Any ideas if this is the trend for today, are we still on for tonights/tomorrow basing?... Just wondering if public transport will be running this evening after work so i can get to my mums for some warmth, heating has packed up cold.gif

Posted

Suffolk's in - thanks! Does this mean we have to be nice to people from Norfolk? Even Norwich? :)Around 3 to 4 cm of snow overnight and currently -2C. The wind is picking up a little at 15mph.John

Oi don't start or we'll steal all your snow... :cold:

Good morning. Had a couple of centimetres here recently by the looks of it. More to come? :cold:

Yup another inch overnight by the look of it hurrah but still need more more more.....

Anyways looking at the radar and it looks to be shower after shower this morning popping in, nothing very heavy but a constant source of smaller showers, well every little helps

Posted

Oi don't start or we'll steal all your snow... :cold:

Yup another inch overnight by the look of it hurrah but still need more more more.....

Anyways looking at the radar and it looks to be shower after shower this morning popping in, nothing very heavy but a constant source of smaller showers, well every little helps

BBC Norfolk say heavy snow and drifting later. :cold: Will we finally get a dumping today.

Edited by hobbielancie

Posted

Big big updgrade from BBC breakfast 7:45am forecast with alex Deakin!

He actually mentioned the home counties... Ha ha

Kent and areas SE of London to see 15cm

in his words " London, and home counties will see 10cm tonight with further snow tomorrow Horaaay!

We had a warning traingle over the 3 counties

Posted

BBC Norfolk say heavy snow and drifting later. yahoo.gif Will we finally get a dumping today.

there plenty down here ipswich is a no go area felixstowe has had foot and half!!!

Edited by tinybill

Posted

Another inch here. Of more concern will be the lack of gritted roads now they are cutting down, and that strong bitterly cold wind. Doubt we will be in for more though.