Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Things not going to plan at the moment guys...The SE of England not getting much snow yet, snow died away..Whats going on?

Have a look at the SE thread.

Trying to find radar for france to see how the snow developing over there they had plenthy earlier.

J1, When is the heavier snow forecast for SE England going to start falling? I think they are fed up with there 15cm and want more!

Some parts have already had a lot of snow, just that others haven't. Look at the NW Radar, some parts of Kent had had upwards of 10mm of precipitation, which would be 4 inches of snow.

To be honest I haven't really been keeping track of that part of the world. If you look at the local radars for Germany quite a lot of precipitation there at the moment and moving West.

Posted

If things aren't going according to plan that's probably because there was no plan! Am I right in assuming that nobody really knows what's going to happen? BBC forecasts looked quite good earlier - I think we will all get loads of snow but we have to be patient. This is based on precisely no charts, no forecasts, no vast meteorological knowledge only blind faith and ignorance. Keep the faith !! xx

You watch dan corbet forecaste he does the same .(HES GOT NO RADAR LOL)

Posted

Trying to find radar for france to see how the snow developing over there they had plenthy earlier.

Found this satellite - looks better than the radar to be honest. Radar looks a bit rubbish. Aargh!!

http://france.meteofrance.com/france/observations?51126.path=animationsatellite

Posted

the bbc forecast has changed again!

amazing! snow everywhere tomorrow

'...as we go into Monday, which SHOULD be a working day, yeah, do you think it will be?'

holy cr*p!

:good:

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=euro&MODELL=nae&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=201001091200&VAR=prec&HH=6&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&WMO=

Shows the projected movements of the snow overnight into tomorrow.

http://www.meteogroup.co.uk/uk/home/weather/radar/germany.html

Shows the current precipitation over Northern Germany and quite a lot of it, is this going to plan?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

, some parts of Kent had had upwards of 10mm of precipitation, which would be 4 inches of snow.

Jack, could you just expand on this please. How does 10mm of precipitation equate to 4" snow. is it roughly 1mm rain = 100 mm of snow???

Thanks woody

Posted

Jack, could you just expand on this please. How does 10mm of precipitation equate to 4" snow. is it roughly 1mm rain = 100 mm of snow???

Thanks woody

No it doesn't work like that how many times do you have to say it, Where people have had the idea that 1cm of snow = 10mm of rain i dont know, So people with 20cm of snow have had 200ml rain it doesn't work like that,

Roughly 1mm = 1cm, however this is powdery snow so say 10ml of rain could = 12 cm because of its tendancy not to compact.

Thanks woody

Roughly and this varies depending on type of snow, temperature etc.

1mm of rain = 1cm of snow

so 10mm of rain = 10cm of snow or 4 inches.

Posted

Looking foward to waking up in the morning, thats when it will be proper interesting to see how things go through the day! Met Office warning for locally 20-30cm cover Bridgend, but what are the chances of getting anywhere near that amount?

Where did you get that from??? forcaster earlier on bbc wales on the radio just now has said that costal areas of south wales including newport, cardiff and swansea will only see a sleet/rain mix tomorrow and moday followed by heavy rain Tuesday, Would welcome comments on this as was expecting at least a dusting here in Bridgend

confused or what???

Posted

Where did you get that from??? forcaster earlier on bbc wales on the radio just now has said that costal areas of south wales including newport, cardiff and swansea will only see a sleet/rain mix tomorrow and moday followed by heavy rain Tuesday, Would welcome comments on this as was expecting at least a dusting here in Bridgend

confused or what???

too many conflicting messages, that's for certain!

Posted

confused or what???

They must be idiots then.

Posted

will this snow event reach northwest wales??

Mi ddylai erbyn prynhawn fory ar yr hwyra

It should by tomorrow afternoon at the latest.

confused or what???

This goes against guidance from the Met Office Severe Weather Warnings, which goes for a snow event. As I said the other day, it may not settle on low ground near the coast, but conditions are conducive for snow.

The Met Office also goes for heavy snow on Tuesday for South Wales as do the main models, and indeed Ian Fergusson on his SW thread. At this stage the milder air seems reserved for South West England, and even there in Ian's words a major snow event is possible.

As for Bridgend it depends where you are, lower ground in Bridgend itself, is currently forecast to get around 2-5cm, with high ground to the north of the county getting much more perhaps as much as 15cm. Huge uncertainty though with snowfall amounts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

adam, apart from the fact that I mistakenly said 1mm rain = 100mm of snow (I meant to type 1mm = 10mm) I think your comment was a tad harsh. In over 4 years on here it is the first time I have heard anyone campare rain levels to snow depth which Jack did therefore it is a valid question. "How many times do you have to say..." The answer is as many times as people who are unaware of any formula like that as the same question, which I feel is very valid bearing Jacks comments.

woody

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/blizzard

Mi ddylai erbyn prynhawn fory ar yr hwyra

It should by tomorrow afternoon at the latest.

diolch! looking at the radar, theres a lot of snow around irish sea at the moment will that make it way inland towards wales?

Posted

This goes against guidance from the Met Office Severe Weather Warnings, which goes for a snow event. As I said the other day, it may not settle on low ground near the coast, but conditions are conducive for snow.

The Met Office also goes for heavy snow on Tuesday for South Wales as do the main models, and indeed Ian Fergusson on his SW thread. At this stage the milder air seems reserved for South West England, and even there in Ian's words a major snow event is possible.

As for Bridgend it depends where you are, lower ground in Bridgend itself, is currently forecast to get around 2-5cm, with high ground to the north of the county getting much more perhaps as much as 15cm. Huge uncertainty though with snowfall amounts.

Jack, would you class 73m asl low ground?

Posted

diolch! looking at the radar, theres a lot of snow around irish sea at the moment will that make it way inland towards wales?

Na mae'r gwynt yn ddwyreiniol felly bydd unrhyw gawodydd eira yn dod o'r dwyrain

No the wind is Easterly and any snow showers will come from the east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

confused or what???

Warning that includes Bridgend and many other areas:

This is the met office weather warning for heavy snow 1800 sun 10 - 1200 Mon 11.

Blaenau Gwent60% Bridgend60% Caerphilly60% Conwy60% Denbighshire60% Flintshire60% Gwynedd60% Merthyr Tydfil60% Monmouthshire60% Neath Port Talbot60% Powys60% Rhondda Cynon Taff60% Torfaen60% Wrexham60%

There is a high risk of severe weather affecting parts of northern England, the Midlands and eastern Wales. Outbreaks of snow developing on Sunday will become heavier and more persistent during late afternoon or evening and persistent through the night and into Monday morning. 5 to 15cm of fresh level snow is expected widely with 20-30cm locally. Drifting in the very strong winds will cause even greater accumulations in places. Disruption to transport networks and icing on power lines is possible.

It is expected that this Early Warning will be superseded by Flash messages.

Im not sure whats going to happen though, Will only know when it happens i guess, but hope to get a decent amount for a change!

I live around 8 miles inland, and 73m (236 feet) above see level in brackla, i doubt we will get anything over 15cm, but is there even a chance of getting 15cm here?

Edited by Deepsnow

The snow is coming from the east, which is why the monitoring of the snowfall amounts off the east coast of England.

Posted

adam, apart from the fact that I mistakenly said 1mm rain = 100mm of snow (I meant to type 1mm = 10mm) I think your comment was a tad harsh. In over 4 years on here it is the first time I have heard anyone campare rain levels to snow depth which Jack did therefore it is a valid question. "How many times do you have to say..." The answer is as many times as people who are unaware of any formula like that as the same question, which I feel is very valid bearing Jacks comments.

woody

I do apologise that you feel that way i didn't mean to snap, it's just i've heard it so many times before i want to know where the myth has come from that's all, Do apologise i feel bad now :/

Posted

woody

I assumed they took that into consideration when forecasting - so thought 5mm of the forecasted precipitation meant exactly that - no wonder I have been depressed!!!