Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

nice one Ali

weather for wales from meto

Headline:

Snow spreads from the east overnight, continuing tomorrow.

This Evening and Tonight:

Dry and clear at first but becoming cloudier overnight with occasional snow spreading across the country by dawn. Strengthening east or northeasterly winds will make it feel very cold and it will be an icy night with a severe frost. Minimum temperature -8 °C.

Sunday:

Cloudy with snow affecting most parts of the country at some point. Feeling bitterly cold in the biting northeasterly wind, which will also cause lying snow to drift. Maximum temperature 2 °C.

Updated: 1543 on Sat 9 Jan 2010

Posted

Things are going to turn nasty around these parts by the looks of things, My mother works for a dementia clinic and has been informed that she might ave to go into work at 9 tonight untill tuesday lukily work is around the corner but other staff won't make it they're having difficulty as it is and we haven't had significant snowfall since last tuesday night. She told me that they had been informed by carmarthenshire council that they would only be gritting trunk roads into the major towns now, Ie, Llanelli, Carmarthen, Ammanford, Burry Port and The road towards lampeter from Carmarthen. They are however putting gravell on the roads to dry and make more grip which is a good thing. But this has told me that there is definetly bad weather on the way.

That wouldnt happen to be the one opposite Garnant Club would it lol

Anyways GFS still shows milder air pushing into SW and S Wales on coasts on tuesday its 50/50 which wins id say.

Posted

Ian furgesson confident of heavy snow monday south wales here come swa les news headlines and our turn to hog the news headlines wednesday a true blizzard on its way.

Edited by keithlucky

Posted

Evening all!

First of all chaps, can i congratulate you on a superb forum, absolute compusive reading considering the current synopsis.

As a Geog graduate and teacher, the views and content aired on the site is a learning resource in itself. Going to get some of my A level students to follow it. Additionally, as a keen but novice forecaster does anyone agree with me that the current output for the week ahead is showing potentially the biggest snow accumulations for the region for many years?

As Deputy Head i would value an informed 'heads-up' as we've got some tricky decisions to make regarding opening, exams and site safety etc.

Teachers love snow disruption just as much, its just that they don't show it to the same extent! smile.gif

Anyways GFS still shows milder air pushing into SW and S Wales on coasts on tuesday its 50/50 which wins id say.

The chance of a fast breakdown is dropping rapidly going by tonight's models, I don't expect the mild air to reach as forth north as it says, indeed the precipitation may not be that far north.

My guess at the moment is 80/20 to cold staying in place, with an undercut looking increasingly likely.

This is Ian Fergusson latest NAE chart, showing the snow for tomorrow, as you can see widespread but mostly light.

Posted

No lol it's pretty new down by penybont,you know it?

Posted

News said authorites in wales have applied for suspension of a level exams, cant see any school opening next week.

Posted

The chance of a fast breakdown is dropping rapidly going by tonight's models, I don't expect the mild air to reach as forth north as it says, indeed the precipitation may not be that far north.

My guess at the moment is 80/20 to cold staying in place, with an undercut looking increasingly likely.

This is Ian Fergusson latest NAE chart, showing the snow for tomorrow, as you can see widespread but mostly light.

Ahh yes, maybe the charts not updated on datacentre yet. So basically the warm front is pushed over the top of the could air creating snow sorta like mid way through atmosphere. Does that not the sort of setup that causes thunderstorms.

Posted

interesting looking wedge of pink on the NW radar, from north of the wash heading over towards mid/south wales.

we might just get the southern edge of it?

Edited by bennytes

Posted

Evening all!

First of all chaps, can i congratulate you on a superb forum, absolute compusive reading considering the current synopsis.

As a Geog graduate and teacher, the views and content aired on the site is a learning resource in itself. Going to get some of my A level students to follow it. Additionally, as a keen but novice forecaster does anyone agree with me that the current output for the week ahead is showing potentially the biggest snow accumulations for the region for many years?

As Deputy Head i would value an informed 'heads-up' as we've got some tricky decisions to make regarding opening, exams and site safety etc.

Teachers love snow disruption just as much, its just that they don't show it to the same extent! smile.gif

If I was in charge this week of the exams I'd pull them all and delay until the freeze thaws. Up here in Ponty I have visions from this weeks synoptics of levels and drifts of snow of 3 - 4ft possibly with the blizzard that's progged for tuesday - I think the person in england that is trying to blindly go ahead with this is putting a lot of school pupils at risk of all sorts of injuries and major logistical problems

Edited by andymusic

I went upto the A470 today to Tredegar to see the snow, very much a contrast from the hill past Glynneath into a Winter Wonderland.

Forecast for Ammanford and port talbot is still heavy rain on the local forecast on here for tuesday. When do those usually get updated.

Where is that forecast from?

Posted

I went upto the A470 today to Tredegar to see the snow, very much a contrast from the hill past Glynneath into a Winter Wonderland.

Yes theres even a contrast between Brynaman/Glanaman/Ammanford, I think it's great however, And i have an exam wednesday Looks like Ill have to walk 5 miles if the current weather pans out, Not good. Also looking ever more likely that the cold spell will become more prolonged. Also online forecast for ammanford usually go for Neath Abbey for some silly strange reason, take them with a pinch of salt.

Posted

If I was in charge this week of the exams I'd pull them all and delay until the freeze thaws. Up here in Ponty I have visions from this weeks synoptics of levels and drifts of snow of 3 - 4ft possibly with the blizzard that's progged for tuesday - I think the person in england that is trying to blindly go ahead with this is putting a lot of school pupils at risk of all sorts of injuries and major logistical problems

thanks Andy,

I pretty much agree with you. We could probably run the exams considering that all of the students live within 3 miles of the school. We could certainly staff them with willing staff who live very local to the school. However, a central postponement decision from the WJEC and associated boards would be the best solution for all and not discriminate against kids and families with potential accessibility problems.

Anyone else think we're looking at a major couple of events?

Posted

BBC says Ammanford and Port Talbot is heavy Snow - Mrmonopoly talking poop again

Posted

thanks Andy,

I pretty much agree with you. We could probably run the exams considering that all of the students live within 3 miles of the school. We could certainly staff them with willing staff who live very local to the school. However, a central postponement decision from the WJEC and associated boards would be the best solution for all and not discriminate against kids and families with potential accessibility problems.

Anyone else think we're looking at a major couple of events?

no expert here, but that is very much the way it is looking. Pop over to the model output thread and see what BBC forecaster Ian Fergusson is saying, and other experienced posters. That should make your mind up for you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Just seen BBC forecast, looking good for us, esp Sunday night across mid wales

Posted

Ian furgesson confident of heavy snow monday south wales here come swa les news headlines and our turn to hog the news headlines wednesday a true blizzard on its way.

Really hope your right, and yes its our turn to hog the news headlines,"sky news reporter trapped on the motorway bridge at junction 42 as Swansea Bridgend Llanelli Carmarthen are battered by severe blizzards, with the military being called in to help as local services are over whelmed".

Gordon Brown helicopters in to the centre of Swansea for a photo opportunity showing his caring touch.

Ok i guess not , but a few inches would be nice, just pleeeeeeeeeeees dont turn to rain!!

Posted

Really hope your right, and yes its our turn to hog the news headlines,"sky news reporter trapped on the motorway bridge at junction 42 as Swansea Bridgend Llanelli Carmarthen are battered by severe blizzards, with the military being called in to help as local services are over whelmed".

Gordon Brown helicopters in to the centre of Swansea for a photo opportunity showing his caring touch.

Ok i guess not , but a few inches would be nice, just pleeeeeeeeeeees dont turn to rain!!

Lol i would love the BBC news to say, Swansea has been the worse affected with up to 1 foot of snow

It's happened before, it can happen again

Edited by Marcus_surfer

Posted

And i'd love it if they said the SE we're least effected lol.

Yeah! Lets just keep quiet now and pray this happens!

Posted

This website, go to forecasts and enter post code for the week ahead (SA18) and (sa12). 20% chance of snow apparently at 12:00 which is when it says heaviest rain is forecast