Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Looks like there has been a big intensification and westerly shift in the last hour just as the NAE predicted. If any one has the NW 5 min radar run it through since 2pm.

Posted

Light flurries of snow now in East London

Definitely more of an Easterley component in the wind when i just went outside.

Posted

And still the heavy snow piles in off the dark clouded channel here, to quote recent forecasters "no end in sight". A real epic for snow lovers, watching this makes up for missing out the last few weeks. :yahoo::yahoo:

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Whiteout in Manston atm... :yahoo: probably be gone by the time I post this!! :yahoo:

That's just up the road ! , what depths you got there?

Posted

Again no , it's still nne ne

It's been the same all day and yesterday , the only thing that has changed is the winds are much stronger and forcing the showers further west!

:yahoo: :yahoo:

I wouldn’t be so pessimistic. The showers have clearly shifted in direction. They were barely skimming Kent before moving into the channel, whereas now they are extending well inland and look to be moving eastwards. The showers are being driven from the winds above – these won’t be exactly the same as ground level winds.

Posted

Looking at that image I think I'll stick with the streamer we have now Neil!!!!

Unbelievable snow here!!

James

Posted

Hi Ed

Yes a Massive West move in the last hour, about 40 miles covered by the Snow in an Hour, was just talking to Paul M on the phone about this!

Paul S

Posted

Temp also now down to -0.2c

James

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
Latest BBC SE News forecast is for HEAVY SNOW for SE Sat night and Sunday. Up to today prolonged light snow was forecast.

BFTP

:yahoo:

Posted

Nothing happening in Brighton now ,will we get blizzard like conditions does anyone know?rolleyes.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

Fairly light snow driven in by a fresh NE wind, excellent weather.

Temp down to 0.0c DP -4.8c

Posted

The A299 opposite the runway has been closed since this morning. Car on roof in a ditch. You can cut round the B2050. Main problem is snow drifting off the fields. One minute the roads fine, next corner there's 6 inches etc.

Thanks Kent Snow...I may be doing a 24hr stint...I still have to get back to Herne Bay tonight :yahoo:

Posted

Snow has eased off in Dover for a while now... how underwhelming so far... I'm hoping the main band after the trough will be better.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Hi Ed

Yes a Massive West move in the last hour, about 40 miles covered by the Snow in an Hour, was just talking to Paul M on the phone about this!

Paul S

The upper winds have just shifted a little. What I would give though, Paul to have that Channel convergence zone above me. It has been there for 24 hours now!

Posted

not suprised to hear roads between lenham & ashford are starting to be closed .... esp the A20 as per my previous posts.

temp continues to drop -0.1c now. Anyone know why they have dropped in the last hour or so - more of an easterly element to the wind now perhaps so more off the continent rather than north sea ?

M20 struggling between Maidstone and Ashford too..one pic M/stone end,one A/ford end,its a bleak bit of road at the best of times :blink:

post-8172-12630493362342_thumb.jpg

post-8172-12630493502842_thumb.jpg

Posted

That's just up the road ! , what depths you got there?

Hardly anything tbh, it's all blowing around! We're starting to see snow laying on the snow from a few nights ago now and the cars are starting to cover whereas before the snow was melting quite quickly.

Hoping these showers develop into something heavier, especially as temperatures now seem to be dropping as we approach sunset time.

Posted

Snow has now been falling for 12 hours and has increased in quantity and size in the last 3 hours. Went out this morning to grab some provisions for the oldies in some less powerful falls - I'm glad we went when we did.

We have already had the 15cm that the BBC are predicting and at this rate, with the substantial falls and whiteout, blizzard conditions, I'm expecting outlying areas of Eastbourne to be cut off by Midnight.

It's looking quite serious now and although I'm loving it, I'm also aware that there are going to be some considerable difficulties for folk in the next couple of days.

I must just say that many of you in here, on the MOD thread and on the NW team generally, have got this spot on, which is cracking considering many are amateurs and enthusiasts - we've out-paced the professionals yet again!

Stay safe guys and have a lovely time in this now classic event!! :blink: