Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

London & Se Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

I think some of us work under different definitions of flurry, light snow, moderate snow, heavy snow, very heavy snow and blizzards! Oh and the classic 'white out!' biggrin.gif

that and the Kentimetres.

i half expect if i go to Tyler hill i will see 20 foot snowdrifts. In reality there's about 2 inches. lol

Posted

Any chance of these snow showers laying later. Such a waste. Heavy bursts quite regularly too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

I think some of us work under different definitions of flurry, light snow, moderate snow, heavy snow, very heavy snow and blizzards! Oh and the classic 'white out!' biggrin.gif

if theres a reasonable amount of snow and a bit of wind, id call that a BLIZZARD, WHITEOUT, oh hell were all gunnu get SNOWED IN >.>

i think we could safely define my conditions as no snow though.

Posted

Any chance of these snow showers laying later. Such a waste. Heavy bursts quite regularly too.

If it's any help, they are settling on the roofs of the cars here.

Posted

Hi I need to go to Chatham latercould someone please tell me what the weather and roads are like. Thanks

Hi I live in chatham - the main roads are fine - side roads are slushy but if you take it slowly should be fine - snowing on and off at the moment

Hope that helps x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold.. snow ..freezing fog..ice ..very hot

How amazing that you've sorted the whole forecast out for the rest of the winter! its January 10th not March! Normally by this time of the winter we've normally been scratching around for a frost, so to have had the amount of cold so far is pretty amazing,the whole world does not revolve around how much snow you have in your garden! some people have done very well, others not so well in terms of snow, thats generally the case in any cold spell. Plenty of time for more snow so cheer up!

very true sorry nick ill try to be more positive

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

its all over i fear for at least another year everything looked good solar min ..uppers ..lowers ..dps ahhhh

Eh? Its the 10th of blinking January, how on earth can you call something like that? you must have an amazing talent for yearly long forcasts. Yes its a shame its not going to be snowing or laying on the ground for ever but posts like that are pointless and annoying.

Love and kisses, Jason.

Edited to add i see nick has already pretty much the same thing :-)

Edited by jasonuk

Posted

Main A229 through the Weald seems fine, some slush in the middle of the road, and massive pile of snow on both sides narrowing the road to a certain extent. It's quite quiet out there today but at least it's all moving. Housing estates and country lanes are a different scenario though. Widespread compact snow about 5cm-10cm thick on top of the road itself, very slippery and very dangerous to drive on

Posted

Hi I live in chatham - the main roads are fine - side roads are slushy but if you take it slowly should be fine - snowing on and off at the moment

Hope that helps x

At least you avoid Bluebell Hill - BBC Travel has that as partially blocked at the moment :unknw: I don't think the area around Walderslade/Lordswood is great but as ThunderQueen says, the main roads Chatham Maidstone Rd etc should be OK

Posted

very true sorry nick ill try to be more positive

No worries :unknw: , i admit it can be rather traumatizing seeing the snow thaw! but theres still a good 6 weeks of winter and so much can happen.

Posted

Normally by this time of the winter we've normally been scratching around for a frost

Up till Mid December we were,been flat out in garden all week ..chip chip chipping a away,now i got drip drip drip,i dont know why i bother sometimes :unknw::(:D

post-8172-12631380826842_thumb.jpg

Posted

Greetings from East Sussex. Lots of snow yesterday, but just tiny (but persistent) amounts today. About 110m ASL elevation in Staplecross so not suffering much melting as yet, still got the 7-8", most of which came from yesterday's Kent streamer. Snowballs come up a bit damp, and footprints turn to slush at lower elevations. The boy highly disappointed that he may have to go back to school tomorrow.

Guest FireStorm

its all over i fear for at least another year everything looked good solar min ..uppers ..lowers ..dps ahhhh

Are you other certain members in disguise? whistling.gif

Theres around 10 weeks left of winter i think? What is your expert forecast for the next 10 weeks? 25c and torrential rain? *crosses off summer before its even happened* lol

I dont mean disrespect, and i understand the downbeat nature but in 6hours alot can change, so 10 weeks in weather terms is almost a lifetime..

Posted

Heavy snow in Brighton at the mo,and big flakes ,come on .drinks.gif And now it stops Grrrrrrrrrrr

Edited by wee

Posted

redefining pessimism there mate :unknw: gotta agree a bit tho, 10th of January is statistically the coldest day [Probably, i cant actuaLLy remeber...] x

Posted

At least you avoid Bluebell Hill - BBC Travel has that as partially blocked at the moment mellow.gif I don't think the area around Walderslade/Lordswood is great but as ThunderQueen says, the main roads Chatham Maidstone Rd etc should be OK

Lordswood and Walderslade are fine aswell, just slushy now, the residential side streets are still snowy and icy but are fine if you keep it slowsmile.gif

Posted

Can't believe how much warmer it feels today and the rapid thaw seems to be under way. Just hoping it does'nt leave the 2" sheet of ice underneath hanging around too long.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold.. snow ..freezing fog..ice ..very hot

Winter's over

laugh.gif

dont say that i just got told offunsure.gif

Posted

Are you other certain members in disguise? whistling.gif

Theres around 10 weeks left of winter i think? What is your expert forecast for the next 10 weeks? 25c and torrential rain? *crosses off summer before its even happened* lol

I dont mean disrespect, and i understand the downbeat nature but in 6hours alot can change, so 10 weeks in weather terms is almost a lifetime..

in 10 weeks its obviously gunnu be 7C and probably gloomy and raining, sorry, but its true.

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

Haha, so true, I do notice that some people (not gunna name names :D) manage to get pretty regular 'BLIZZARDS' and 'WHITEOUTS' whenever there a snow event or even a few showers blow through of some kind even though others are just getting moderate-heavy snow. :clap:

Maybe they just have there own severe micro-climates :D. Probably just more excitable than others and get caught up in the moment, they'd probably die with excitement if they experienced a 'true' blizzard!

On that note, just experienced a period of actual heavy snow, that was really coming down, did see rather wet though, or at least more wet than snowfall of late. Died down no to just light snowfall at the moment, been experiencing similar conditions all day.