Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & Se Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

Light snow most of the day in Biggin Hill Max temp 0.5c so just above freezing for a short while. First time since Monday so little melt away from the house. Icicles formed as the temps back to freezing. In any cold snowy spell unless it is exceptionally cold you will always get snow melt near the house. A Hunch but this cold spell is not over yet and a reload is on the cards. Still have 6 or 7 ins on pavements and garden. We have been spoilt for cold and our expectations are higher.

Posted

Things are being funnelled up the Estuary towards London better in the last hour or so, but nothing is firing over Essex and Eastwards at the moment so still nothing to get excited about.

Anyone got any thoughts as to whether there's likely to be enough instability around our part of the north sea to get anything going?

Posted

I think it's safe to say (relatively speaking) that the last 24 hours have been an absolute disaster for cold/snow watchers here in the SE. Things were so different this time yesterday with freezing temperatures and drifting powdery snow. Things then went horribly wrong as the evening and night progressed with a thaw underway by this morning! This time yesterday this would have been the last thing I would have expected. Who knows what this coming week will hold, but for now I don't see anything to get excited about.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

I think it's safe to say (relatively speaking) that the last 24 hours have been an absolute disaster for cold/snow watchers here in the SE. Things were so different this time yesterday with freezing temperatures and drifting powdery snow. Things then went horribly wrong as the evening and night progressed with a thaw underway by this morning! This time yesterday this would have been the last thing I would have expected. Who knows what this coming week will hold, but for now I don't see anything to get excited about.

I don't see much settling now unless we get an almighty downpour. There's been a fairly big thaw today and it's quite slushy and wet. Most if the lying snow that is left is on the grass. This has been an abysmal easterly except for a few in Kent. Still can't complain about Tuesday night till last night when the thaw started.

Posted

http://www.meteox.nl/gmapstatic.aspx?zoom=6&type=zoom&x=250&y=221

Will the precipitation leaving Holland give any meaningful accumulations to us in the SE later?

Doesn't look likely at the moment, the cluster of snizzle looks like it's decaying over the North Sea.

Posted

Doesn't look likely at the moment, the cluster of snizzle looks like it's decaying over the North Sea.

Have to agree - those 2 blobs would have almost gone by the time it gets to blighty, looks like the show is over, good job we had that trough yesterday afternoon otherwise it would have left alot of people putting the rope up!

Posted

London City Airport recording following temps

Temp 2

DP 0

Wchill - 2

Really need those temps to drop...even though we have had alot of melt today and most of snow has

gone, Hopefully temps to drop later and ....well I know its sadistic but Im going to do another

radar watch as Im back at work tomorrow and Ive a hunch we might get lucky later tonight

Come On :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

Ouch. Friendly bugger you are, then!

Aww dont take offence! Seriously there is no point being so negative just because its not sub zero and nonstop snow, it rubs off on many others and is really frustrating to read when everyone is writing the same. As myself and Nick Sussex said earlier its only just the 10th of January a good 2 months of possible coldness to come yet :-)

Posted

good job we had that trough yesterday afternoon otherwise it would have left alot of people putting the rope up!

i love the idea that people might seriously consider committing suicide because it didnt snow <_<

Posted

WTF! the snizzle that comes over our region is pepping up and banding together as it leaves <_<

Talk about rubbing salt in. . . that snizzle coming over from the low countries better pep up over the North Sea or else that really will be curtains on this sorry mess.

Posted

What do you guys think about Wednesday, surely it will be too warm????

Positive thinking....Repeat...It will be cold enough for SNOW...... <_<

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny or Cold and snowy

WTF! the snizzle that comes over our region is pepping up and banding together as it leaves wallbash.gif

Talk about rubbing salt in. . . that snizzle coming over from the low countries better pep up over the North Sea or else that really will be curtains on this sorry mess.

dont worry it's not - here's the radar pic from above my house and nothing is falling at all.

post-11068-12631438557642_thumb.png

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

dont worry it's not - here's the radar pic from above my house and nothing is falling at all.

Radars really are performing terribly today with this situation for some reason.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

I have to say im getting a bit desperate, we've only had 3inches out of this cold spell, Was in sheffield over the weekend and they at least a foot of snow, lucky buggers :wallbash: