Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & Se Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Cold and Hot inc Stormy Weather

been snowing on and off now here in colchester for the last half hour or so. wind has swung to more of an east to west flow now.

Why cant bbc or sky launch a dedicated weather channel with regular updates rather than thease poor forecasts using outdated model data.

what happened to our 5/6 inches mr murr. alan of melting belvederecc_confused.gif

I think you will find I backed away from that forecast ages ago- the angle & flow wasnt there-( i did try without success last night to get that message across)

A bit more optimism appearing out there now eh-

Funny how peoples mind works---

forecast 20cm get zilch--- Everybody is miserable-

forecast ZILCH get a snow flurry --- everyone is happy!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

a couple of snow flurries here is eltham- & a bit more white stuff to come this afternoon- with I guess some occasional heart fluttering moderate bursts-

Taking a quick sample of the fall rate of the snowflakes & quality of them- they do appear quite dry, so the air is definatly less saturated than earlier & that signal is being replicated in the dewpoints coming in on the posts- & will replicate also in terms of small temperature falls as we head towards dusk-

remember the lower the dewpoint the quicker the fall will be when the sun goes down-

best of luck out there-

S

Posted

slow thaw, some snizzly stuff in the morning but there are some bigger flakes appearing now from time to time

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold.. snow ..freezing fog..ice ..very hot

think the guys on here late last night were saying it was unlikley to happen.

regards,

Steve

oh well heres hoping for a sub zero feb . thanks for reply steve

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

flakes slightly larger and more frequent now and it has got darker, feeling more hopeful and off to Oxted again soon for a sledge, any weather reports from over that way - freak blizzards perhaps :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in summer and proper cold in winter

Currently have very heavy snow here in amsterdam for the last hour, maybe something latter for you guys at home

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold.. snow ..freezing fog..ice ..very hot

where is everyone eating there sunday dinner or sledging ?????????

Posted

The snow not turning up I can deal with but this thawing is doing my head in! biggrin.gif I'd say we've lost almost 50% of our snow depth now and my super size icicles are vanishing.

I'm down the road from Croydon and we do still have light snow but it is light - as in almost non existent light, the odd few flakes coming down. Apart from the heavier showers yesterday, nothing has settled or if it has, it's not added any depth. It's not heavy enough to settle on cars.

On the bright side, we've had falling snow on 6 consecutive days and laying snow for 5. In the past 4 weeks we've had 2 fairly substantial falls of snow (10cms +) and 1 decent rain to heavy snow the monday before christmas (around an inch accumulated in just over an hour or so). If you want to be really optomistic, then we had a slight dusting since NY day. Throw in last Febs fall, then we've done amazingly well by any standards in the last year!

Posted

blush.gif Hello everyone! Finally joined after stalking for the past week.

Constant snizzle and light flakes here. All very boring really.

Hello Jo :rofl:

Posted

Chucking it down again here now, its been on and off all morning. Thaw seems to be slowing slightly although we are still at 1.5c & DP 0c.

Fingers crossed to see a bit more later on.

Matt. :rofl:

Posted

Well after 90+ temps yesterday in Egypt got a bit of a contrast now!

There appeared to be a sligh thaw earlier but now a few flakes in the air and cloud all around.

Posted

wow...new to this sight and had no idea there was as many snow lovers as me out there....I have been amazed at how wrong the mainstream BBC, SKY etc have been. Cleary covering themselves by over ramping their snow pedictions..and getting away with it.....my brother takes a look in the sky and has been bang on since all this started...Right now at City Airport is "light snizzle". I think thats what you call it anyway...massive thaw on here since very early hours.....devastated

Posted

Currently light snow on and off here. hardly any melt. Decided to make the most of the slightly stickier snow and start work on a large snow dalek , beats going to the gym for some exercise and helps clear the paths at the same time !

Have come back in and confirm dewpoint -0.8c down from -0.5 a bit earlier. Temp 1.8c

:rofl:

something coming in on radar later perhaps

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Cold and Hot inc Stormy Weather

blush.gif Hello everyone! Finally joined after stalking for the past week.

Constant snizzle and light flakes here. All very boring really.

Hello Jo rofl.gif

welcome to netweather.rolleyes.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

is SW london an estuary county?? :p

Indirectly...but really on the periphery of any of today/tonights fun.

Posted

very light snow here but drip drip drip

i can see the grass all ready :p

suprised how quick its thawing out there to me the cold snap is over now with temps over the next week 2 - 5 oc in day which is just a little below normal! will hope for another cold spell before the winter is out!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

fine as in a lot or fine as in small flakes alan

The latter, although if heavy enough it can settle and accumulate. Many of the 80's Easterly spells started as very fine snow in 3c temps.

Posted

suprised how quick its thawing out there to me the cold snap is over now with temps over the next week 2 - 5 oc in day which is just a little below normal! will hope for another cold spell before the winter is out!

me too although wish we had an idea the show was going to be over today instead of expecting more of the white stuff.

hey hoo have chucked the kids out in it told them to enjoy they might not see any more for a while.

poor old snow:cray:

Posted

Interesting someone reporting heavy snow in Amsterdam from that batch that's progged to come here. . . just looks like a load of murk and chaff from the radar I was looking at - mostly less than 1mm precip rates.

At least it wont be steered off SE down to Slushville this time. . .

. . . I hope :p