Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & Se Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

temp dropping again here after peaking at 2c now 1.8c. cant do dewpoint as not at home! light snow flurries continuing....

Posted
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)

The last 24 hrs have been dismal for the ukmo. Why don't they update the presenters on the bbc in line with current events rather than sticking to the wrong line!

Not just the BBC though. As I posted earlier, netweather also went with a warning for heavy snow today right through to 23.59, particularly for the SE. And they also gave a 90% confidence level ! And the warning is still on the homepage, which looks very wrong.

Posted

Hi Guys

haven't been watching posts for a while so may have missed it !!

But

i take it this thaw is caused by warmer temperatures moving through, so is there any indication of a return to the cold weather soon and possibly more snow? or is it going to stay warmer with the thaw ongoing?

Posted

Well I didn't get obsessed with the forecasts last night so I'm not disappointed with the non-event. Obviously it was a developing situation which was a nightmare to forecast, these things happen so get over it! No point moaning about it, there's another thread for that! :acute:

Anyway we've had light snow showers all morning and still going on, not settling as temp above freezing so gradual thaw in process. Nice to see however, espescially if it does warm up as the week goes on! And if the stats are correct (i.e early cold winter tends to finish mid Jan and then warms up for remainder of winter), this will be the last cold spell of the winter, so make the most of it if you can! :drinks:

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Lets hope so, because the way things are going today with the gradual thaw, I feel that my area will have lost pretty much all lying snow come Wednesday! sad.gif

Ironically the colder upper air of yesterday in the brisk north easterly drove relatively higher temps inland here yesterday then the frosty drier cold of the previous few days under higher upper temps! Temp hovered around freezing point all day with the persistent heavy snow showers. Both Thurs and Friday temps were continually below freezing. Thursday didn't rise above -2C according to my little garden thermometer when I go out to feed the birds.

Seems as though some slightly colder air is now arriving from the continent. Judging from the reports upstream some less marginal conditions are arriving. At least for a whilesmile.gif

It doesn't matter if we get higher upper temps - as long as they are the right side of zero and the dewpoints are as low as possible then snow will stick around much better.

The suggested persistence of winds from an easterly vector over the next couple of days or so (at least) suggests that may happen. A dry up from the east is what I am hoping for now and for the low pressure to the south west to grind to a halt before getting towards here.

Posted

The last 24 hrs have been dismal for the ukmo. Why don't they update the presenters on the bbc in line with current events rather than sticking to the wrong line!

I agree. Did you know that the forecasters are going to get about 20% pay rise :drinks:

Light snow still falling here

Posted

:clap::clap::clap:

Totally agree Nick. Bring back the good old 80's etc with Bill Giles, John Kettley, Ian McKaskill, Michael Fish etc. They WERE REAL weather men.

Posted

I agree. Did you know that the forecasters are going to get about 20% pay rise help.gif

obviously you have been reading the Daily Tripe for your information

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold.. snow ..freezing fog..ice ..very hot

temp dropping again here after peaking at 2c now 1.8c. cant do dewpoint as not at home! light snow flurries continuing....

drip drip drip even my pond is watery not liking it one bit

Posted

temps now at 0.7c and dropping, dewpoint -1.07c and dropping, light to moderate snow showers every 5-10 mins, no accumulations.

No indication of shower activity, of note, on radar.

wind veering E-NE, slowly

tis odd.

Edited by Nick.F

Posted

i agree -- but maybe it is so marginal they feel it may go either way still - temp is dropping here and snow flurries seem to be coming in on a more easterly wind.

not going to obsess about it though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

I agree. Did you know that the forecasters are going to get about 20% pay rise :clap:

nothing here, nothing scince 3 days ago, ive Gotta move 10 miles to croydon!

i agree -- but maybe it is so marginal they feel it may go either way still - temp is dropping here and snow flurries seem to be coming in on a more easterly wind.

not going to obsess about it though.

id start obsessing over it if i saw a single snowflake :clap:

Posted

what happened to our 5/6 inches mr murr. alan of melting belvederecc_confused.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

At last the wind is turning more to the East. This should bring in the drier continental air and reduce dew points again. Would expect a covering in the Estuary counties tonight with the thaw slowing down. No refreeze though unless the skies clear for any length of time.

Posted

obviously you have been reading the Daily Tripe for your information

Daily Mail :clap:

Posted

It snowed here through the morning, lightly generally but with frequent heavier bursts. No significant thaw taken place. 11 inches lying with over a foot where it's drifted. Snow finally eased off over last hour. It also snowed most of the night, replenishing and covering tracks and any minor melt that might have happened.

Pictures soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

http://www.meteox.com/gmapstatic.aspx?zoom=6&type=zoom&x=267&y=235

This shows the potential Snow for this evening for the SE. Its just leaving the dutch coast.

I would not expect much convection as it crosses the S North Sea so expect a lot of fine snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

At last the wind is turning more to the East. This should bring in the drier continental air and reduce dew points again. Would expect a covering in the Estuary counties tonight with the thaw slowing down. No refreeze though unless the skies clear for any length of time.

is SW london an estuary county?? :clap:

Posted

what happened to our 5/6 inches mr murr. alan of melting belvederecc_confused.gif

think the guys on here late last night were saying it was unlikley to happen.

regards,

Steve

Posted

it will probably feel colder in that damp air-

I would rather -5 surface DRY air than =2c damp air with a breeze!!!

Still a few random flakes here in Eltham--probably all the way from leigh on Sea-

Im expecting a couple of snow showers here today- mainly for entertainment value other than anything else-

S

Steve, Have a look at this link. Is the ppn really heading our way? It looks quite promising http://www.meteox.nl/gmapstatic.aspx?zoom=6&type=zoom&x=250&y=221

Posted

http://www.meteox.co...oom&x=267&y=235

This shows the potential Snow for this evening for the SE. Its just leaving the dutch coast.

I would not expect much convection as it crosses the S North Sea so expect a lot of fine snow.

fine as in a lot or fine as in small flakes alan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

Snowing moderately on and off in Tunbridge Wells. I'm on iPhone so can anyone let me know what radar blobs are around this way please?