Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & Se Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

Indirectly...but really on the periphery of any of today/tonights fun.

Temp 0.8c dp -0.8c rh 87% intermittent light snow

Edited by TN9

Posted

suprised how quick its thawing out there to me the cold snap is over now with temps over the next week 2 - 5 oc in day which is just a little below normal! will hope for another cold spell before the winter is out!

The problem isn't so much the temps it's the air is too saturated, that upper warm front has just been a pain, it killed the convection and increased the humidity.

As the flow turns more easterly the dew points will lower.

Posted

flurries gradually turning in to persistent light snow here with darkening skies

slipping in under the radar maybe whistling.gif

Posted

Looking at it, it appears that those areas that got a good dump in February have seen very little this time round, whilst those who got very little in February appear to have a good amount now (like myself and Neil for example). Interesting that just a small shift in wind direction can make all the difference.

Posted

Looking at it, it appears that those areas that got a good dump in February have seen very little this time round, whilst those who got very little in February appear to have a good amount now (like myself and Neil for example). Interesting that just a small shift in wind direction can make all the difference.

we had a good fall in february and the greatest amount of i have seen in my lifetime up here in oxford: Now!!

Edited by hot air balloon/weather :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and hot in summer

started snowing small flakes in strood kent/temperature dropping

Posted
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)
  • Location: Brighton (About 1 mile from the sea and at 89m above sea level)

Not entirely correct. We had about 6 inches on each occassion here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

Temp now 1.1c DP 0.1c ( worrying ). Humidity reduced from 54% - 49% in last 30 minutes.

Light Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

I had about 4-5 inches in Feb, this time around about 1.5 inches max... I really could do with a good dumping :help:

Posted

oh well, seems this cold snap is pretty much over as its going to warm up over the next few days. doesnt really look like we are going to get anymore decent snowfall apart from the odd light shower which won't really accumulate. Was fun while it lasted!!!!

btw, what happened to the 7/8 inches that was forecast for last night? woke up this morning expecting a lot more snow and got absolutely nothing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold.. snow ..freezing fog..ice ..very hot

Playing Spot the Flake here ATM, but wind's definitely got up. Beats doing the tax return rolleyes.gif

amounts of snow will pale into insignificant if you get a fine for late payment

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

Snowing moderately on and off in Tunbridge Wells. I'm on iPhone so can anyone let me know what radar blobs are around this way please?

Hey Winterfreak, I'm just up to the north of you a bit and have experienced moderate/light snow on and off this morning, the odd thing is that there is really nothing discernable on any of the radars, a few very light pinky patches showing up but , but nothing that would illustrate some of the moderate falls we've been having, and it seems this is widespread. Can't think of a reason why it would happen but its probably related to the upper warm front.

Not entirely correct. We had about 6 inches on each occassion here

I think he was probably referring more to Kent in particular, which in general I would agree with. The 'streamers' over the last day or so that have set up have have had much more impact in central and Eastern Kent due to a NNE to NE wind, while the Thames streamer back in February had more effect in Western Areas of Kent and London, due to the ENE to E wind...

Will this wind ever turn more Easterly? Everyone keeps on saying over the last few days that it is and to have patience, but I'm yet to see any evidence that it has/is making a definite attempt to do so, even though the models earlier in the week were predicting them to turn by around Thursday/Friday I thought? XC Weather currently showing a NNE wind over my area, have to say I'm getting quite sick of it, the easterly just keeps getting pushed back and back. Anyway lets hope Steve and Nick are right, and it does turn more Easterly soon, which will lower dewpoints and reduce the thaw, although if I'm honest I've given up in seeing anything snowfall wise other than a light dusting which will hardly be notable :lol::lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold.. snow ..freezing fog..ice ..very hot

steady light snow here but still dripping from roof and conservatry ... im most upset

Guest FireStorm

Heavy snow showers crossing north kent it seems to be the order for the day..

Although NAE and GFS both went for 0 amount of precip on the weatheronline charts, yet show snow as weather type. Pretty confusing

Posted

Brief snow flurry here just now - meanwhilst the thaw has set in - can see more and more of my grass in the back garden - boo hoo

Posted

Heavy snow showers crossing north kent it seems to be the order for the day..

Although NAE and GFS both went for 0 amount of precip on the weatheronline charts, yet show snow as weather type. Pretty confusing

Was that using todays NAE charts?? has anyone seen todays NAE charts?

Definitely on fleck alert here, bits floating in the wind. . . should start getting rid of this useless NNE ( :nea: ) up the Estuary any time now.

Not hopeful of much convection though with nothing exciting showing on any of the models and nothing from the MetO.

Edited by Gulf Stream Hate Campaign Leader

Posted

[quote name=hot air balloon/weather :nea:' date='10 January 2010 - 14:06 ' timestamp='1263132398' post='1734212]

we had a good fall in february and the greatest amount of i have seen in my lifetime up here in oxford: Now!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

amounts of snow will pale into insignificant if you get a fine for late payment

booo lol its true tho!... or if i fail because i havent done any revision for exams tommorow...