Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

3 Counties & Ea Cold Spell Discussion Part 5

Posted

Well pretty much as expected all snow gone this morning and actually quite mild outside (didn't need a jumper under my coat) so that's that for this area then wonder if we'll get a reload or not...

Posted

Very light sleety mix falling at the moment (nothing on radar though), most of the snow has melted with just the most frozen (shaded parts) still there.

Posted

Morning all, woke up to grey skys and slush on the ground, no snow seemingly fell on this side of Peterborough overnight, being blessed with Sleety drizzle here now.. skys are very dark though, but seemingly the temps are too high atm.

Light snow here for the last hr and the grey slush has changed to white snow. Apparently the snow is even more notable in Wansford according to my mother.

Temps at the moment remain at 0C.

Posted

Light snow here for the last hr and the grey slush has changed to white snow. Apparently the snow is even more notable in Wansford according to my mother.

How do you do it!????? Have horrible sleet here :yahoo: I really do give up!

It must just be snowing and settiling on TEITS street only!!!!! Lol

Edited by Slinky

Posted

How do you do it!????? Have horrible sleet here :yahoo: I really do give up!

It must just be snowing and settiling on TEITS street only!!!!! Lol

No its also snowing heavily at my mothers. She told me that in Stamford they had alot more lying snow than we did.

Whats happening is when the precip is light its sleet but in heavier pulses its snow. Odd thing is nothing shows on the radar.

Posted

**Gets in car and dashes up A1 to Wansford**

Just noticed as I was making a cuppa that its started falling as snow here & not a break in the cloud, fingers crossed it carries on falling (you watch it stop now Ive posted to say its snowing!)

No its also snowing heavily at my mothers. She told me that in Stamford they had alot more lying snow than we did.

Whats happening is when the precip is light its sleet but in heavier pulses its snow. Odd thing is nothing shows on the radar.

Its showing a little precip on meteox radar, if that radar is correct then it wont last long. I noticed Stamford had been getting a good smattering according to radar over last few days.

Would be very suprised if anything settled here as the ground is so wet.

Posted

Very odd Dave! might have to go for a ride and go on a snow chase :yahoo:

I watched the Beeb forecast this morning and they are saying the main band wont reach us Wednesday ... (Typical of this cold snap if they are right)

Posted

There's warnings of heavy snow out for the South West tomorrow....

is anyone thinking what I'm thinking....rain perhaps?

At the moment, while they are puting a kind of M3 limit on it, I'd say there's every chance of it reaching us and providing us with a bit more snow....but perhaps turning sleety and even to rain later.

As the low heads in it (as is mentioned by Nick Sussex in the SW thread), it will pull in low dew points and drier air from the SE, and the precip will be heavy. So even if for a short time, some locations say Somerset, Wiltshire, Gloucestershire, South Wales will take a battering for a time. But probably turning to rain, sleet further SW after a time.

Don't think it will reach us.

Which will probably mean it will.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

As the low heads in it (as is mentioned by Nick Sussex in the SW thread), it will pull in low dew points and drier air from the SE, and the precip will be heavy. So even if for a short time, some locations say Somerset, Wiltshire, Gloucestershire, South Wales will take a battering for a time. But probably turning to rain, sleet further SW after a time.

Don't think it will reach us.

Which will probably mean it will.

My thinking exactly!

I'm beginning to think that the system to the north and east of us doesn't have the projected power the models show it to have, thus the disappointment of the weekend and the lack of the period of "biting easterly winds" we were forecast to have. I'm not saying there were not any biting easterly winds, just that they didn't last as long nor have the intensity that the Met was building them up to have.

Therefore I've a suspicion that the incoming front from the Atlantic will make a bigger incursion accross the country than is being forecast currently. This could be great news for us if it reaches us and then is turned back....not so good if it reaches us and keeps progressing...

Edited by Timmytour

Posted

Hi TEITS, we've got similar weather here in Ipswich, sleet in the lighter bits with settling snow in the heavier bits. Do you have any idea why the ppn is not showing on the radar?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Nothing showing on radar for me either, but it's snowing, tiny flakes swirling around in that light as a feather way. Have to go out and see whether it's sleet or not. It looks like a v. slow thaw, but temps still only 0.2 ° C.

Posted

Assume it's because the radar being used or more likely the software being used to generate the images from it, may not have a low enough resolution to display it. The software will have algorithms within it to remove anomalous minor readings, with may come from a variety of things, these algorithms may be removing the minor readings.

I did notice a little earlier that when the fall became more than snizzle, the radar showed an echo or too for 10 minutes, and then went away.

just a guess

I do remember in the 1985 cold spell, where temps were admittedly lower, we had about 36 hours of this heavy snizzle here near the east coast, and it accumulated quite quickly.

shame it's not going to do that today.

Posted

My thinking exactly!

I'm beginning to think that the system to the north and east of us doesn't have the projected power the models show it to have, thus the disappointment of the weekend and the lack of the period of "biting easterly winds" we were forecast to have. I'm not saying there were not any biting easterly winds, just that they didn't last as long nor have the intensity that the Met was building them up to have.

Therefore I've a suspicion that the incoming front from the Atlantic will make a bigger incursion accross the country than is being forecast currently. This could be great news for us if it reaches us and then is turned back....not so good if it reaches us and keeps progressing...

I guess if there is a window of opportunity it will likely be during early Wednesday morning for a period of time. Although probably for those in the more western part of the region.

Posted

EDIT: It is now settling on rooftops and other cold surfaces here.

Completely OT, but Nick you need a full stop at the end of your signature quote. blum.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Nothing happening in Norwich- just dry and cloudy. I always felt that the exciting weather was set to be used up this weekend, even though I wasn't expecting this kind of thaw- after having been in my element during the three weeks dominated largely by sunshine and snow showers, dull weather with the odd bit of snizzle didn't really capture the imagination in the same way.

We could get a return of sunshine and snow showers if the ECMWF comes off at T+192 with the high returning to Scandinavia and a renewed cold pool moving across from the east, but an outside bet at this stage.

Posted

Completely OT, but Nick you need a full stop at the end of your signature quote. blum.gif

Yes, I never said that my typing was any good. Well done for noticing!

Although, in truth, it is only a partial quote and I am loathe to use an ellipsis.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Sleet and snow showers on and off in Ipswich all morning

Temps have fallen from 1oC earlier this morning, to 0oC at 11am.

Posted

Hi TEITS, we've got similar weather here in Ipswich, sleet in the lighter bits with settling snow in the heavier bits. Do you have any idea why the ppn is not showing on the radar?

Hi,

First time I have plucked up enough courage to post, I thought I would start here rather than the model thread. I live just east of Sudbury in Suffolk and we to have outbreaks of snow but not settleing and as a newbe I would be interested in your thoughts as to why the precipitation does not show on the radar,I presume because it is too light. I pushed the boat out and bought a subscription last week.

I have spent most of my working life working with computer models and satellite images and I am familar with the problems associated with sampling a complex pattern on a regular grid of cells, let alone the complexities of the energy balancing equations, so I am not entirly suprised by the stops and starts of the recent modelling. With regard to the front comming in mid week from past bitter experience I would be happier if the low stayed south. I only remember once in the last 30 years when a similar situation produced a sustained snow event the front stalled around the middle of the country and stayed there for several days before the easterly air flow pushed it back. The setup was close to our region but not close enough. I also have some sympathy with the view expressed on the model thread of having all this information and constant GFS update being more trouble than it is worth and going back to magnetic symbols and synoptic charts, happy days! Surley the models show the trends and specific detail is not always accurate even with the t24 time frame, some seem to take the latest GFS output as correct, rather like beleiving the result a calculator displays. Also regarding specific detail even forcasting for a region is fraught with difficulty in a showery situation be it snow or rain or any combination therof I think we should remember and I am as guilty as any for this this a forcast is just that a forcast and is also generalised over a wide area it is impossible to forcast the appearance of rain in No 41's garden making the washing damp let alone a snow shower, the best we can expect is to forcase the occurace of snow showers and the approxamite area.

It's difficult but not impossible and with the help of a good web site great fun, I have enjoyed reading the posts for many years and now having made my first post I hope to in future be able to contribute assuming work does not get in the way!rolleyes.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Yes, I never said that my typing was any good. Well done for noticing!

Although, in truth, it is only a partial quote and I am loathe to use an ellipsis.

Watch out Nick. I was told off for spelling out 'definitely' yesterday — called a saddo! It's just that I'd seen so many variations of the spelling, the last being 'defently' (at which point I lost it and posted). Spelling and grammar are important, I agree.

I really like the thought of the cold going out with a bang and an almighty snow storm or battle royal between the Atlantic and Continent — over W.Suffolk please (?)— even if it is followed by a thaw a couple of days later. TBH, the snow on the 18th December was more exciting than this post Christmas dusting.

Posted

Watch out Nick. I was told off for spelling out 'definitely' yesterday — called a saddo! It's just that I'd seen so many variations of the spelling, the last being 'defently' (at which point I lost it and posted). Spelling and grammar are important, I agree.

lol , I agree they are very important too. Poor spelling is particularly irksome to me... perhaps I shouldn't have married a dyslexic! hahaha

Edited by Mrsf16

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

I really like the thought of the cold going out with a bang and an almighty snow storm or battle royal between the Atlantic and Continent — over W.Suffolk please (?)— even if it is followed by a thaw a couple of days later. TBH, the snow on the 18th December was more exciting than this post Christmas dusting.

I see your point, until Saturday then I would have agreed entirely- but on Saturday we exceeded the snow depth from before xmas - and this spell has seen snow falling on so many days that it has just about overtook it - but for sheer longevity etc I am more pleased with this one, but understand some areas further west didnt see quite as much. There was even a difference between west/east Ipswich!!

An almighty snow storm over Suffolk would be great though - we can all but hope laugh.gif hehe

Edited by i luv snow