Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)

I think Tuesday/Wednesday is going to be a night of radar watching to see how far the front pushes inland - at the rate it's moving, it'll be a very long night too :lol:

Posted

I think Tuesday/Wednesday is going to be a night of radar watching to see how far the front pushes inland - at the rate it's moving, it'll be a very long night too laugh.gif

whoopppeee!

only do my night shifts over the weekend so i'll be here! now! i need to get a few beers in! drinks.gif and i have been holding it off but im just gonna have to offer my snowman as a sarifice, up to the snow gods tomorrow morning lol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

This morning was chaos.

Heavy snow fell for much of the night giving a very decent top up to the snow. There hasnt been much of a snow but where snow has been walked or driven on alot its turned to slush and dangerous at that!

Dudley council gritted our main roads very well for this morning for around here however Worcestershire council did not seem to grit around Hagley for school this morning. School did not start properly until 10am and only just had most people got in by then. Apparently 2 of our school buses had crashed. They were minor im told but one crashed into a lamp post im told.

This afternoon isnt much better though the roads are generally fine now. Going to be mayhem Wednesday morning it seems here with more snow forecast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

I know this is off-topic but... It must be great living on a canal boat :p How much does it cost to buy one? Also how do you keep it warm in conditions like this and where do you get hot water from etc...

Hi andy didn't want to clutter the thread so have answered your questions via PM :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

It is interesting because even though the Fax chart does indicate that... The precip charts on the UKMO 00z show that the precip would reach Central and parts of the East Midlands.

U48-594.GIF?11-06

Hmmm on that chart I posted earlier... The 12zUKMO has now been updated for that and it shows the PPN getting slap bang over the Central Midlands so places like Northampton, Coventry, Leicester, Nottingham, Derby might not be too far North after all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

very slow thaw, snow fell last night now very slushy on paths as temps above 0C, had light snow all morning, but still have good snow cover, 0.6C now, hope no rain tomorrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Anybody else had an incredibly small diurnal range today? Had a min of -0.1c and a max of 0.3c! Must be a record for me.

Edited by nick2702

Posted

Anybody else had an incredibly small diurnal range today? Had a min of -0.1c and a max of 0.3c! Must be a record for me.

my min, 0.2C and max 1.6C, first day this Jan without a minus minimum

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Hmmm on that chart I posted earlier... The 12zUKMO has now been updated for that and it shows the PPN getting slap bang over the Central Midlands so places like Northampton, Coventry, Leicester, Nottingham, Derby might not be too far North after all.

I just looked at the latest NMM run and read the NW weather Alert...For amusement, I decided to take the weather alert literally, and have plotted a line from Liverpool to Eastbourne, as per the alert to calculate my snowfall percentages, and came up with the following......The line runs through me in a NW-SE direction, entering my garage (at the front of my house) exiting through the apex of my conservatory, giving me up to 15cm in the front garden and bugger all in the back.....conclusion?...Saucy Sid the Snowman will be resurrected in the front garden..........the moral of the story is, not so much that this is a knife-edge scenario, rather, I have far too much spare time on my hands atm compiling this daft post! :whistling:

Posted

Still have 6-8" of snow up here, no sign of a thaw.

Children had their first day back in school today - phew !! Pretty much had enough of the cold now, sick of thawing out pony's water troughs, feeding hay twice a day, picking hard snow from hooves. Chickens are on strike, 1 egg in 2 days !! bored with defrosting their water feeders twice a day etc etc.

Moan over (sorry)......

Posted

On Midlands Today the council said they did not grit the roads yesterday as no snow was forecast! :lol:

Don't council workers have windows in their houses and offices where they could look outside and see the snow falling. :lol:

Unbeleivable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

First post of the day, just got back from work. Last night was a nice surprise. Woke up to around 6/7 cms on the grass and the roads were completely covered. One road with a fairly steep gradient was impassable with people abandoning their cars. Certainly caused more problems and was deeper than I expected :lol:

As for tomorrow and in to Wednesday... I am very surprised to see the models going for some progression of the frontal ppn further inland. Still not totally convinced by the eastern extent, but places like devon / dorset / wales and parts of the west country look like getting a pasting. Might even see some remnants here.

Posted

Max temp today of +1.2c with a low of +0.2c so far in LE3.

Noticed this morning that some roads which would of normally been gritted had not been this morning :lol:

And i know that several roads in coalville were closed due to ice and accidents this morning.

@ Andy you may find this Coalville weather station link handy for what's happening up north lol.

Posted

I don't see why they spend all the money on gritting main roads and not side roads?

Surely you need to get traffic out of side roads so they can use main roads.

Motorways have been really quiet as many peoples side roads are not safe enough to get the car out!

Have had no problems with all the ice and snow, i just take it real slow and have had no problems driving or walking, hope you guys are ready for more cold wintry weather, the respite later in the week might only be a blink or miss it affair :D

Posted

Have had no problems with all the ice and snow, i just take it real slow and have had no problems driving or walking, hope you guys are ready for more cold wintry weather, the respite later in the week might only be a blink or miss it affair :D

hopefully yeah, ecm says so, if so then really reminds me of the boxing day less cold spell, lasted 5 days before turning cold on new years eve

Posted

Thanks to that surprise in the early hours our snowcover has survived; now on 6 consecutive days of uninterrupted >50% cover (longest since Dec 31-Jan 5 2001/2; if it's still there tomorrow morning will be longest since Dec 30-Jan 8 1996/7); and finally we have lying snow on a date between 11th-19th of a winter month, for the first time since Feb 1994 :D

10 days of lying snow this winter, most since 1996/7 (12); 9 days in January is a record since before 1988. If we can mantain >50% till 9am tomorrow to make 10 days, that will be as many as all the Januaries of the 2000s put together!!

Posted

hopefully yeah, ecm says so, if so then really reminds me of the boxing day less cold spell, lasted 5 days before turning cold on new years eve

This is like an anti-modern winter! With prolonged cold spells and brief mild snaps, brilliant! :D

Posted

This is like an anti-even larger teapot! With prolonged cold spells and brief mild snaps, brilliant! :D

seems to have upgraded tomorrow nights snow? yeah most in wales/SW but may see some snow

post in the SE thread, uncertain but a line from Liverpool to Eastbourne, the further SW of that line the better

Edited by mark forster 630

Posted

seems to have upgraded tomorrow nights snow? yeah most in wales/SW but may see some snow

Seems like it! This could extend my incredible snow cover run, I think it stretches back to the 29th Dec event which half melted overnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Out of the Midlands the West Midlands will by far do better tomorrow night, Wales and the SW and Central Southern England doing well too. :unsure:

Posted

Seems like it! This could extend my incredible snow cover run, I think it stretches back to the 29th Dec event which half melted overnight.

didnt do so well on that day, heavy wet snow in the evening struggled to lie, 23rd-24th was great

today my 7th day with lying snow in a row

Posted

I'm not entirely sure; it's rather more complex than it first appears.

The front tomorrow will make steady progress in, I'm not entirely happy that conditions are perfect for such a system to turn readily to snow but I will accept what the GFS and NAE are saying in that regard for now.

The PPN will be at it's heaviest as it makes progress across S Wales and the SW, then I would expect some weakening of the frontal band but with lines of PPN popping up. There is then the question of another little Low forming and perhaps stalling the initial Northward extent of the PPN.

Not straightforward by any means, and like most of the snow events during this cold spell, could come down to nowcasting.

Its never easy to forecast these situations. However Hereford, Worcs, Shrops and perhaps West Mids most at risk. Staffs and Warks less likely.

Posted

The other concern I would have is that to see appreciable accumulation you may need to be in the area where the heaviest snow giving PPN is and I expect that will be somewhere from Central Wales down towards Gloucestershire.

The more it weakens, the more the whole marginality of the set-up comes into play - don't forget we have lost the very cold air and this is an Atlantic system even though it is not bringing milder air (to us anyway) - so in the weakening PPN area a rain/sleet/wet snow mix would increasingly come into play.

dosent look too good, similar to 29 dec then