Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

Just wondering, may it have been this?

post-10818-12631719875842_thumb.png

Yeah it was that, it lasted for ages even though that doesnt look very big with how fast its moving. It lasted a good 25-30 minutes at least.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

cracker of a snowfall here.... just gets heavier... chucking it down now!!!!

Moderate snow down here wasnt expecting it. Seems a constant stream coming up from london

Posted

Had moderate snow here in Telford for 10 minutes now :blush: it seems to be easing off but nice to see something more than fleeting flakes.

Posted

Forget what I said about it lasting an hour. It'll last in Halesowen untill about 3am!

Anyway, this snow's keeping me awake far too late. Gnight all!

Posted

Cheers B) There was one date when heavy snow had fallen but I forgot, think it may have been the Dec, 29 snowfall. And now I have yet another date to add to the list! B)

Anyway, snow still continuing to fall here but should be over soon. Met Office have put up their flash warnings now. A little too late, the snow has done what it had to do. :blush:

Yeh the only reason I remember it for all is the heavy snow falling during the Villa-Liverpool match that day lol.

Anyway, snow was quite a heavy around 10 mins ago but it has eased off. The radar however seems to show the precipitation NW of London developing in intensity a little- lets hope it can survive all the way up the M40 lol.

The roads havent been gritted around here tonight. Probably because the meto had no warning out for this. Are the roads gritted around where you are???

Regards, hgb

Posted

Sorry, I'm just back to report that there is a gobsmacking amount of snow falling right now! Absolutely incredible. I swear 2 cm have accumulated in 5 minutes.

Posted

Had some very heavy snow about 15mins ago, added a cm or 2. Clear now. :blush:

Posted

Don't think so. The last time I saw a gritter doing the rounds was on the 7th or 8th, one of the days when we achieved -10C. Now, the main road just off my road is completely covered in snow.

If that long band of precip keeps its course, then I think parts of south west Birmingham could get 2" of fresh snowfall out of this! Some very heavy snowfall down there at the moment. Man, what a night! :blush:

This is by no means the end of it all. Have a read of the SE thread...London is getting some heavy snow from a streamer that is inclined SE to NW...rarely does a streamer go in this direction.

We could see this following up the M40 and gettin to the Birmingham area!!! ?(hopefully)

What a night....what a cold spell....what a winter!!!!!!!

Posted

Right, absolute last post.

Last chance of snow for the immediate future, it's time for "Back to Business - Part 5"

post-10818-12631749102242_thumb.png

EDIT:

I can also confirm that I can measure just over 1 whole foot of snow across my road in the garden beside one of my neighbour's houses (they have meter sticks to hold come plants up!) The stick's definately more than a third submerged now (and since 1 foot = 30.48 cm).

That spot is where (it seems) absolutely no snow has melted at all since before last week.

So... let's see. I know just under 5 inches fell there on Tuesday, so that means that more than 1 inch fell during this spell. Or at least over there, it seems to have it's own sort of 'drift effect'!

Edited by Hailsowen

Posted

This is by no means the end of it all. Have a read of the SE thread...London is getting some heavy snow from a streamer that is inclined SE to NW...rarely does a streamer go in this direction.

We could see this following up the M40 and gettin to the Birmingham area!!! ?(hopefully)

What a night....what a cold spell....what a winter!!!!!!!

How much do you think we could have by morning? (by that I mean normal people's morning as in 8ish, as opposed to I can't go to bed because my face is pressed up against the window and managing to keep an eye on the NW radar at the same time morning) :blush:

Edited by smethwickgg102

Posted

Right, absolute last post.

Last chance of snow for the immediate future, it's time for "Back to Business - Part 5"

post-10818-12631749102242_thumb.png

EDIT:

I can also confirm that I can measure just over 1 whole foot of snow across my road in the garden beside one of my neighbour's houses (they have meter sticks to hold come plants up!)

That spot is where absolutely no snow has melted at all since before last week.

Thanks for that radar image. In fact, I'm just up the Hagley Road from you in Harborne. That is pretty amazing to have measured a foot...surely that must have been due to drifts?????

We seem to have around 13-14cm of lying snow here. I had 12cm from Tuesday's event and so I am guessing another 1-2cm has been added on tonight.

Posted

well ive lost 5cm today and gained a dusting from tonights snow. Which is now melting as im in a dry slot northeast of birmingham, not been a good day for me here

Edited by fordy

Posted

How much do you think we could have by morning? (by that I mean normal people's morning as in 8ish, as opposed to I can't go to bed because my face is pressed up against the window and managing to keep an eye on the NW radar at the same time morning) :crazy:

Well it all depends on what's coming up from the SE and whether it can develop and intensify a little more. It would help the Birmingham area if it can develop more on the Eastern flank as it seems to be trundling through SW Birmingham at its current track at the moment.

Maybe another 1-2cm of snow more if this goes right.

Posted

Thanks for that radar image. In fact, I'm just up the Hagley Road from you in Harborne. That is pretty amazing to have measured a foot...surely that must have been due to drifts?????

Yes, it does seem to be deeper over there than everywhere else. Probably because of the fence and high trees beside it that cause the snow to bury itself underneath them

This had made my winter since it's been ever such a while since I've witnessed snow right next to me like this. :crazy:

Edited by Hailsowen

Posted

I might just call it a night at this point. It has certainly been a great one.

I think the light-moderate stuff to our SE is passing through at an angle taking it just SW of birmingham and so missing this area literally by a few miles. Oh well...it has been a great night!!

Posted

Amazingly, it's actually snowing quite heavily in Shrewsbury and sticking- to roads which were previously wet!!! At 23.45 it was just snizzle and we were down to about 65% snowcover- now it's 100% again and got a good 1.5cm extra.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS

Had to go to sleep last night so missed all the heavy snow. But woke up to a nice new covering. Shame it proberly will

melt

during the day :-(. Let's hope for Tuesday night now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Had quite a bit of heavy snow last night. Still snowing now!

Posted
  • Location: Alrewas - North Staffs(203ft ASL) 5 miles north of Lichfield
  • Location: Alrewas - North Staffs(203ft ASL) 5 miles north of Lichfield

something building from the north east should currently be over nottingham, looks like hail on the radar?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Had a bit of snow last night, patched up some of the gaps but nothing more than that. All it does now is ensure my driving test tomorrow is certainly cancelled!