Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I hope you're right!

Went out for a walk along the canal yesterday and it frightened me seeing so many holes in the ice. I think I'll leave this cold spell behind happy knowing we got one last inch or so, even if it does thaw quickly.

Best go out and start my snow dance...

I am starting to get a bit sick and tired of the snow now. When you first get it it's great. It's nice and powdery, I get a snow day or two, but after a few days it gets boring if it isn't topped up properly. It goes wet, slushy and the paths are cleared at school...

Let's have one last dumping before we watch it all melt away though!

Posted
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)

I'm still sceptical about the MetO and BBC leaving out the East Midlands for tomorrow's snow - the GFS predicted the snow over the Midlands last night/this morning and the MetO/BBC retracted their weather warning... it's still snowing now and we have had several cm overnight, so which forecast it correctly?

Posted

It's very quiet on here today... has nobody else got any snow? tongue.gif

Hell yes there is snow in Coalville, probably more than we have had for the last week. So much for winter being over, this is brilliant!!

Posted

Yeah, I work in Ashby and drive from Hinckley so A447 > A511 and it was definitely a lot worse over here than at home. None of the roads seem to have been gritted though and it took 15 minutes to get down the A511 when it usually takes about 3 minutes!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

I'm still sceptical about the MetO and BBC leaving out the East Midlands for tomorrow's snow - the GFS predicted the snow over the Midlands last night/this morning and the MetO/BBC retracted their weather warning... it's still snowing now and we have had several cm overnight, so which forecast it correctly?

Agreed Ash, GFS shouldn't be ruled out, I don't know why the Met-O don't actually look at the GFS and consider it along with their own model. Could get interesting if the GFS is correct on this.

Posted

had an inch of Snow overnight in Western Northants, added to the 6 inches from last week. Just when the roads were improving over the weekend this morning they were worse then they were on Friday.

Exactly what's happened here !!!

Nothing's been ploughed or gritted up here since the snap started - complete disaster. I'll be in Startford kicking down the Highways Dept doors when I can get down the hill !!!

All the grit buckets have been long emptied & I had to use a bin full of ashes to "grit" the road this morning. 2-3 inches last night have just made matters worse.

Posted

Yeah, I work in Ashby and drive from Hinckley so A447 > A511 and it was definitely a lot worse over here than at home. None of the roads seem to have been gritted though and it took 15 minutes to get down the A511 when it usually takes about 3 minutes!

I drove Braunstone - Coalville and the change was amazing. Coalville has finally caught up on the snow front. Been snowing in some form all daty but since around 10.45 has been very light, still a great covering though.

Posted

I drove Braunstone - Coalville and the change was amazing. Coalville has finally caught up on the snow front. Been snowing in some form all daty but since around 10.45 has been very light, still a great covering though.

Fernhurst still has a surprising amount of snow on it though. The road is slush but the pavements and peoples gardens still have about an inch left. Bet in Coalville theres loads more though because it's a good 90m higher up. Makes a lot of difference 90m does in situations like this and with snow melt. Coalville would be about 1c colder than here in Braunstone. The temp here is 1c so up in Coalville it would be around 0c and very little snow melt.

Posted

Fernhurst still has a surprising amount of snow on it though. The road is slush but the pavements and peoples gardens still have about an inch left. Bet in Coalville theres loads more though because it's a good 90m higher up. Makes a lot of difference 90m does in situations like this and with snow melt. Coalville would be about 1c colder than here in Braunstone. The temp here is 1c so up in Coalville it would be around 0c and very little snow melt.

All true mate, hovering at around 0, no melt apparent and a very good covering indeed, I am happy, just need to finish work so I can enjoy it!!

Posted

Well, was snowing very lightly when I left here this morning, but since coming home, no 'dustings' apparent. Although to be fair, even with all the moisture falling from the sky, there doesnt seem to be any further thaw today.

Anyway, around lunch time, light snow from Stoke to Derby on the A50. Heavier at Stoke, and more sleety (and lighter) in Derby.

Temps ranged from 1-1.5oC, although around Holmes Chapel on the M6 (jnctn 18), it was 2.5oC.

Regarding Tuesday, well looking at the UKMO Fax Chart for tomorrow, the front decays as it hits the West Midlands. No update (that I could find) on the 06z, so a wait for the 12z later.

And just to add...

1. Uttoxeter to Derby has similar amounts of lying snow visible (but getting gradually less towards Derby)

2. Uttoxeter to Stoke, and Stoke to around junction 18 of the M6 had similar lying snow levels

3. A53 between Leek and Buxton closed, with police reporting snow drifts up to 8-10ft.

Edited by Shiny_Bottom_1

Posted

Well, was snowing very lightly when I left here this morning, but since coming home, no 'dustings' apparent. Although to be fair, even with all the moisture falling from the sky, there doesnt seem to be any further thaw today.

Anyway, around lunch time, light snow from Stoke to Derby on the A50. Heavier at Stoke, and more sleety (and lighter) in Derby.

Temps ranged from 1-1.5oC, although around Holmes Chapel on the M6 (jnctn 18), it was 2.5oC.

Regarding Tuesday, well looking at the UKMO Fax Chart for tomorrow, the front decays as it hits the West Midlands. No update (that I could find) on the 06z, so a wait for the 12z later.

It is interesting because even though the Fax chart does indicate that... The precip charts on the UKMO 00z show that the precip would reach Central and parts of the East Midlands.

U48-594.GIF?11-06

Posted

Not sure where that chart is from Andy, but I guess similar at that time to where i'm looking, but as it moves East, it decays further. The T+60 chart I looked at showed lower ppn as the front 'kinda' moves through.

Certainly another knife edge situation for us. Fingers crossed it gets upgraded, but based on the last 24-36 horus of weather for here, my concern is it being more sleety.

Posted

Not sure where that chart is from Andy, but I guess similar at that time to where i'm looking, but as it moves East, it decays further. The T+60 chart I looked at showed lower ppn as the front 'kinda' moves through.

Certainly another knife edge situation for us. Fingers crossed it gets upgraded, but based on the last 24-36 horus of weather for here, my concern is it being more sleety.

Meteociel FTW :lol:

Agreed I have the same doubts. Even if it does arrive... Most likely sleet at lower levels again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

Sensor reading 1.9c not much thawing happening today though, it's strange that at similar temps yesterday it was thawing. We have had almost constant sizzle this morning but nothing much falling now.

I broke some of the ice around the boat this morning, it took a hefty iron bar to do it, the ice is about 3 inches thick near the boat so will be thicker towards the center of the canal. We have about an inch of clear water around the hull.

I'm really hoping the new snow makes it this far inland, looking at the charts posted it doesn't look like it will quite make us.

Posted

Sensor reading 1.9c not much thawing happening today though, it's strange that at similar temps yesterday it was thawing. We have had almost constant sizzle this morning but nothing much falling now.

I broke some of the ice around the boat this morning, it took a hefty iron bar to do it, the ice is about 3 inches thick near the boat so will be thicker towards the center of the canal. We have about an inch of clear water around the hull.

I'm really hoping the new snow makes it this far inland, looking at the charts posted it doesn't look like it will quite make us.

I know this is off-topic but... It must be great living on a canal boat :whistling: How much does it cost to buy one? Also how do you keep it warm in conditions like this and where do you get hot water from etc...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

had half an inch overnight, wondering if it will get as far as us (north worcestershire) on tue pm & wed......

Posted

It does, at first thoughts, look like the ppn will work its way more up the West Side of the Midlands, and decaying as the front moves over towards the central and east side of the midlands.

I wouldnt rule out any ppn making its way across, but ppn intensity will help with the showers to be more wintry.

But, we've seen it (i.e. Sunday) when the front weakens and decays, and we are left with little but flurries. However, Sunday was a warm front (not that this makes much difference in terms of decay), where tomorrow/Wednesday is an occluded front, so at least less chance of a warm up.

Going by most posts we were in for a big thaw today but i got a slight top up last night and the snow remains apart from where grit has been put and thats in a town area so countryside will be even better, going to go out for a walk in the countryside tonight. :lol:

Posted
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl

It is interesting because even though the Fax chart does indicate that... The precip charts on the UKMO 00z show that the precip would reach Central and parts of the East Midlands.

U48-594.GIF?11-06

It will stall over the Midlands at 11.30pm tuesday night until 10am wednesday morning and we will all get 20cms and 6ft drifts

drunk.gifdrunk.gifdrunk.gifdrunk.gifyahoo.gif

Posted

You never know

Take last week , we thought we were going to get dumped on but everything stayed north of us.

Whose to say it wont reach us tommorow and then stall over us, stranger things have happened before.

I remember in the early nineties , when we were all told we would get rain and Leicestershire got 6 inches of snow , the only place in the country

to get some.rolleyes.gif

Posted

gfs 12Z gives me 12cms of snow tuesday night wallbash.gif , theres no way in hell that will happen, lost the cold uppers, going to be marginal, and certainly doesnt look like making it this far east

my current snow not really thawing, very steady temp 0.6C

yep! it was great watching the snow lastnight when i was on my night shift! yahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gif i had left home at 19:30 yesterday evening and so was totally unaware that we would get any more! i thought that was it untill possibly tuesday/wednesday. it was a nice surprise! i am on lower ground here so even tho it snowed hard from 22:30 till 08:00, only about 3to 4cm's lay on the ground! i had ordered a taxi to take me home and travelling back this morning was very dangerous. The taxi driver took 30 mins to get me home and it normally takes 10 mins! we got stuck in the snowy slush a few times and a car started slipping backwards down the hill we were on and nearly ran into the back of us! it was hairy to say the least! blink.gifhelp.gif

now im looking forward to possible snow on tues night into wednesday! hope its cold enough to snow as my main concern ts temperatures atm!

Posted

yep! it was great watching the snow lastnight when i was on my night shift! yahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gif i had left home at 19:30 yesterday evening and so was totally unaware that we would get any more! i thought that was it untill possibly tuesday/wednesday. it was a nice surprise! i am on lower ground here so even tho it snowed hard from 22:30 till 08:00, only about 3to 4cm's lay on the ground! i had ordered a taxi to take me home and travelling back this morning was very dangerous. The taxi driver took 30 mins to get me home and it normally takes 10 mins! we got stuck in the snowy slush a few times and a car started slipping backwards down the hill we were on and nearly ran into the back of us! it was hairy to say the least! blink.gifhelp.gif

now im looking forward to possible snow on tues night into wednesday! hope its cold enough to snow as my main concern ts temperatures atm!

It was the same by All saints school apparently this morning , people in there cars/bues couldn't get up the hill to the school , mayhem lol. Reddich is annoying and 'hilly' :lol:

For Tuesday into Wednesday, Sleet at lower levels and snow at elevated levels i think.

Interesting that the 06z and the 12z wants to bring that front a lot further inland on Tues/Weds.

Posted

It was the same by All saints school apparently this morning , people in there cars/bues couldn't get up the hill to the school , mayhem lol. Reddich is annoying and 'hilly' laugh.gif

For Tuesday into Wednesday, Sleet at lower levels and snow at elevated levels i think.

Interesting that the 06z and the 12z wants to bring that front a lot further inland on Tues/Weds.

its being said that with it being an occluded front on tues/wed we could have colder temps so snow more likely? what do ya think? oh and you lot had a burst water pipe in bromsgrove this morning didn't ya? i bet that didn't help? rolleyes.gif