Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

A further 2cm's fallen here in the night & that light stuff is STILL falling! If Tuesdays event comes off then this really will be the best winter for me in a while.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Had a bit of snow last night, patched up some of the gaps but nothing more than that. All it does now is ensure my driving test tomorrow is certainly cancelled!

yeah same here, thats most likely it for snow this cold spell, although maybe the odd flurry today

Posted

So......looking towards Tuesday, does anyone think there is much chance of that snow pushing into the West Midlands? BBC show it stalling short of here at the moment.

Posted

Not sure if we had any snow after 10pm last night, but a little more of a thaw than when I went to bed.

Went outside abotu 9.30pm, and had a heavy snow flurry, which was instantly starting to stick (flakes were landing on wet surfaces, and whilst became translucent, the structure was clearly visible). However, right at the end of the shower, it turned to drizzle.

Just off on my way up to Warrington now, so will be interesting. Looks like i'm driving in the dry slot, and will probably miss the ppn potential over Derby this morning.

With regards to Tuesday...who knows. We had good conditions here yesterday, but still had a thaw and no accumulations. I know that there was talk of there being milder air, but I still can't see it. Just one of those unfortunate situations. So Tuesday...could be fortunate, might be unfortunate. Potentially, its possible, but its also marginal.

Moving forwards in the week. Generally, ground temps look like remaing around 1-2oC at max (currently 1oC here), with a potential trend for these to creep up a little to around 4-5oC moving towards the weekend/early next week.

High pressure to our east is never far away. Fingers crossed that it starts to make in roads. But, being the 11th of Jan, the timespan for another cold spell or period of wintry weather is a plenty :)

Posted
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl

Quite Impressed this morning with the amount of snow overnight at home location DY3.......

3-4cms of frsh snow overnight and the most snow ive had to clear off my car during the last week!

Granted not as icy but there is a good layer of additional snow......my garden now has close to 8cms in total - probably as deep as its been all week - and no thaw.

However I have drove to work in Willenhall / walsall and the snow depth is less - probably due to early rain turning to snow last night........and its thawing here.

I think they should have kept the warnings out as in certain locations - the sideroads are yet again very poor - think its more to do now with where you live due to marginal temps.......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

We had another couple of cms last night but I think we can expect a quite steady thaw today with temps higher than last week. I an already see it disappearing off the roofs around me and our road looks slushy whereas last week it was just snow compacted over ice.

Its been a great spell though hasn't it?

Posted

Not sure if we had any snow after 10pm last night, but a little more of a thaw than when I went to bed.

Went outside abotu 9.30pm, and had a heavy snow flurry, which was instantly starting to stick (flakes were landing on wet surfaces, and whilst became translucent, the structure was clearly visible). However, right at the end of the shower, it turned to drizzle.

Just off on my way up to Warrington now, so will be interesting. Looks like i'm driving in the dry slot, and will probably miss the ppn potential over Derby this morning.

With regards to Tuesday...who knows. We had good conditions here yesterday, but still had a thaw and no accumulations. I know that there was talk of there being milder air, but I still can't see it. Just one of those unfortunate situations. So Tuesday...could be fortunate, might be unfortunate. Potentially, its possible, but its also marginal.

Moving forwards in the week. Generally, ground temps look like remaing around 1-2oC at max (currently 1oC here), with a potential trend for these to creep up a little to around 4-5oC moving towards the weekend/early next week.

High pressure to our east is never far away. Fingers crossed that it starts to make in roads. But, being the 11th of Jan, the timespan for another cold spell or period of wintry weather is a plenty :blink:

You're not missing much, pptn is exactly the same as yesterday, rain/sleet/poor quality snow as I like to put it :cold:

We had another couple of cms last night but I think we can expect a quite steady thaw today with temps higher than last week. I an already see it disappearing off the roofs around me and our road looks slushy whereas last week it was just snow compacted over ice.

Its been a great spell though hasn't it?

No not really for those who live in Derby, Notts, Kettering, and probably Leicester

We had about an inch before Christmas, and 2 inches last week.

That's worse than last Feb, and not even remotely close to being memorable to be honest...

Posted

had roughly another 4-5 cm's last night through this morning on top of what we already have probably about 4-5 inches now :blink:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I can't believe school is open this morning. Went in to collect my mark for registration (don't have any morning lessons on a Monday), and the roads are absolutely atrocious. Sheet ice on many main roads - and we have actually had another inch of snow. It is dreadful out there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Morning all :good:

After yesterdays slow thaw, the road is covered with snow again from last nights showers and this morning we are having continous snow which is light/moderate.

Temp 0.9c and dew point 0c

Posted

I can't believe school is open this morning. Went in to collect my mark for registration (don't have any morning lessons on a Monday), and the roads are absolutely atrocious. Sheet ice on many main roads - and we have actually had another inch of snow. It is dreadful out there.

I can't believe any school would close today! Younger members need to look back what people in '63 did, even in the late 70's/80's people copped better. A few inches of snow & ice does not mean you can't get around, too much relience on the car, people actually used to walk miles to school.

Edited by drgl

Posted

I can't believe any school would close today! Younger members need to look back what people in '63 did, even in the late 70's/80's people copped better. A few inches of snow & ice does not mean you can't get around, too much relience on the car, people actually used to walk miles to school.

Times have changed. People rely on the car - that won't change.

I am sure they coped fine with a horse-drawn cart in the 19th century as well...

Posted

whilst i do agree with most of what you say I live about 3-4 miles out of town from our kids schools ....the b roads into town are deadly plus there are no pavements

people in 63 would no doubt of walked into ellesmere from here BUT there wouldn't of been any traffic

Posted

whilst i do agree with most of what you say I live about 3-4 miles out of town from our kids schools ....the b roads into town are deadly plus there are no pavements

people in 63 would no doubt of walked into ellesmere from here BUT there wouldn't of been any traffic

Yup, agreed. I am not walking 4 miles just for bloody school anyway.

Posted
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)

Can't believe the state of the roads, none of them on my drive to work have been gritted and they're main A roads... took 1 and half hours to do 18 miles and it's snowing again!

Posted

Times have changed. People rely on the car - that won't change.

I am sure they coped fine with a horse-drawn cart in the 19th century as well...

You live in Cannock, i was there on Saturday, the car showed minus 4 all the way from Telford to Cannock, it was snowing when we got there. If i can get from Telford with no problems i am sure you can get to school just as easily.

Posted

You live in Cannock, i was there on Saturday, the car showed minus 4 all the way from Telford to Cannock, it was snowing when we got there. If i can get from Telford with no problems i am sure you can get to school just as easily.

That was Saturday, when the snow was dry and the roads were gritted and clear.

This morning is a completely different story. My road is on a hill, and only 4x4s have been able to get up. The partially melted snow has frozen overnight on many major roads as there is very limited gritting. It was absolute chaos this morning.

And I don't actually live in Cannock itself, I live in a village 4 miles away.

Edited by nick2702

Posted

Interested to know what will happen on Tuesday - BBC show it stalling just east of Wales, yet the GFS shows it pptn crossing the country?

Posted

I agree - they shouldnt have shut the schools last week and definitely not today....................

The roads have never been 'that bad' - I got stuck 3 times last week on hills but I still got to my locations everytime.

If all these teachers didnt get paid for not turning up then im sure you'd find a different story. If you have to walk to work or school then so be it......its all part of the fun. 90% of kids dont need to use transport - its just their parents choose to drive them - only in remote rural areas that may be difficult.

This country has gone soft..............

Posted

I agree - they shouldnt have shut the schools last week and definitely not today....................

The roads have never been 'that bad' - I got stuck 3 times last week on hills but I still got to my locations everytime.

If all these teachers didnt get paid for not turning up then im sure you'd find a different story. If you have to walk to work or school then so be it......its all part of the fun. 90% of kids dont need to use transport - its just their parents choose to drive them - only in remote rural areas that may be difficult.

Exactly. We used to have a scream walking to school(snow ball fights en route!). Not today though, if the car can't get out lets stay at home (i think i had a lift to school ONCE in my whole life, that was only because my dad was passing the school anyway and it was pouring down with rain). Back OT, i think we will see more snow tomorrow TBH, if the snow can stick around today(which at the moment it is-sky is grey & the odd flake continues to fall) then hopefully the cold air will last long enough.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!

Teachers don't look out the window and think 'sod it, I'm staying in bed. We work in schools in our house. We get a notification from the HT at about 6 am if school is going to be shut. Over the past 13 years we have had maybe 5 or 6 'snow days'. Head teachers have to consider the safety of the children primarily and that is why they take the decision.

One of my husbands colleagues set off from his home at 7 this morning and a 45 minute journey took 3 hours. My own daughter was stuck on a bus this morning. Her secondary school is in a different part of the city that we live in - and if you think it's reasonable for me to suggest that she walks across the city to attend school in snowy/icy conditions instead of getting the bus then I strongly disagree.

This isn't 1963, we don't all live within a stones throw of our work places and schools and thus road conditions play a big part in our day to day lives.

In the school I work at we had several issues last week, firstly problems with the delivery of food to the school and secondly the school can't afford to grit all outside areas which with a few hundred children running around can get pretty hairy. However we were only closed for one day.